diy solar

diy solar

Securing JDB Bluetooth

Thanks for the comments and ideas. These batteries will be in the Basen plastic cases (@$100ea) and at this point i do not want to drill holes in the cases and use glands to run the wires through for on/off bluetooth switching or remote serial access.

In an attempt to mitigate the lack of security via another direction i tried to reduce the bluetooth range to 10ft by wrapping the bluetooth modules in 6+ layers of tin foil but it had zero impact. I then put the module into a fully enclosed cast iron container and it had zero impact as well.

Any ideas on how i can reduce the exceptional bluetooth range on these guys?

Thanks for the comments and ideas. These batteries will be in the Basen plastic cases (@$100ea) and at this point i do not want to drill holes in the cases and use glands to run the wires through for on/off bluetooth switching or remote serial access.

In an attempt to mitigate the lack of security via another direction i tried to reduce the bluetooth range to 10ft by wrapping the bluetooth modules in 6+ layers of tin foil but it had zero impact. I then put the module into a fully enclosed cast iron container and it had zero impact as well.

Any ideas on how i can reduce the exceptional bluetooth range on these guys?

Lowering the antenna gain db to/from the radio. Scratch off some section of the conductor trace (breaking the circuit between) leading to the main antenna trace on the board (do at your own risk, results may not be predictable nor desirable)... Could intermediately try and simply shorten the antenna by half or something. You may want to buy a test bluetooth module to prototype on.

Example bluetooth module picture: Antenna trace on left side of board
1643394560295.png

Last edited:
You can glue a simple reed switch (normally open) in series with the + wire and glue it somewhere (marked) on the case.

If you need BT, just put a magnet next to it to enable the BT module. Remove magnet once you're done and the BT module has no power. No need for any hole in the case.

Or if you want to control it remotely , buy a small push button remote ( garage door opener ) and matching receiver which you can mount inside the battery case.

Lowering the antenna gain db to/from the radio. Scratch off some section of the conductor trace (breaking the circuit between) leading to the main antenna trace on the board (do at your own risk, results may not be predictable nor desirable)... Could intermediately try and simply shorten the antenna by half or something. You may want to buy a test bluetooth module to prototype on.

Example bluetooth module picture: Antenna trace on left side of board
View attachment 81626
Thank you. I do have extras!

You can glue a simple reed switch (normally open) in series with the + wire and glue it somewhere (marked) on the case.

If you need BT, just put a magnet next to it to enable the BT module. Remove magnet once you're done and the BT module has no power. No need for any hole in the case.
Wow, this is out of the box! (pun intended). I will certainly consider this as if i can reduce the range and have the ability to turn it off in rare circumstances this would totally work for me.

Thank you!

Hi
Rather than answer multiple threads Inthought I would summarise.
1. Yes you can name the individual BMS to differentiate however the name lives on the reading device not the BMS.
2. You can secure the BMS by adding a pin to each BMS. You can go as far as a double pin if you wish.
3. The app developer is busy with a new app that will read multiple BMS (see pic) but is help up with some issue at the App Store. I have 5 I monitor this way.

Hope this helps.

324D60A8-1B20-4F1D-AEA6-D8C4216E4DFB.pngthis helps

Hi

This is where you add / enable the PIN security. Also the naming of the BMS

View attachment 82406
I suppose that's the IPhone App.
There is no option to set the PIN in the Xiaxong Android app.
But if I recall correctly, I think it's possible with the Windows JBDTool, and a UART to USB adapter (from JBD).
I just received my 150A 4S JBD and have the adapter, but haven't tried using it yet.
I did two Lifepo4 builds previously with smaller JBDs, but just used the Android app to program them.

Maybe I will try with the new 150A and the adapter on the weekend. I'll let you guys know if I was successful.

1. Yes you can name the individual BMS to differentiate however the name lives on the reading device not the BMS.
This isn't true. I have renamed three of the JBD BMS's and when I got my brother-in-law to install the app, he saw the three names I gave them. Obviously the names have to be on the BMS.

There are two places to name the bms - for the app and for the bms identification.
For former is what the app displays, the latter is part of the pin ID, and Steve has a warning about changing that and setting the pin - some owners have locked themselves out of them.

I have the app on a iphone and a ipad - setup on the former, the latter won't let me change the name on the app. I have not messed with the unit device ID/name, heeding the aforementioned warning. ?

It's a nice app and bms, although I have not worked with others.
Mine is called OverKill BMS. The device name near the bottom of the window can be changed and saved on the BMS. Proceed with caution.

Hi
2. You can secure the BMS by adding a pin to each BMS. You can go as far as a double pin if you wish.
3. The app developer is busy with a new app that will read multiple BMS (see pic) but is help up with some issue at the App Store. I have 5 I monitor this way.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 82405this helps
The issue for me is the pin number is only written in the IOS app it’s not on the BMS device itself so anyone walking near your RV in my example would be able to see the BMS go into the BMS and if they had an app that could make changes to the BMS they would be able to do so. If you would like to check it out just download another app after you set the pin and you will see you can go straight into it

It's interesting reading this thread, which seems largely focused on the iPhone app. As an Android use most the problems that have been brought up don't exist for me. The app posted on the Overkill Solar site has lots of quirks and some stability issues, but not the stuff you guys are talking about.

Specifically, this stuff about a "PIN" is odd. There is no such thing on the Android App. There is a place marked "Password" but I've never changed it, and I've never been asked for a password with I connect. Heck, I'd be afraid to change the password in case it actually DOES do something, as I may never get back in.

As for devices showing up in a list and tempting someone to connect: It seems like the Xiaoxiang app sees almost all BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) devices as something that maybe it can connect to. Mine always lists my Garmin smart watch as something to connect to, but I'm pretty sure the app wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

The issue for me is the pin number is only written in the IOS app it’s not on the BMS device itself so anyone walking near your RV in my example would be able to see the BMS go into the BMS and if they had an app that could make changes to the BMS they would be able to do so. If you would like to check it out just download another app after you set the pin and you will see you can go straight into it
Hi EcoRV
I suggest that you join the app developer on GitHub and raise the issue. He is very responsive (as you will see by the resolved requests) and very open to improvements / suggestions.

GitHub group here https://github.com/smagicld/xiaoxiangBMS/issues

The issue of the pin is addressed here - in German however. Use Google translate.

Regards

Richard

This isn't true. I have renamed three of the JBD BMS's and when I got my brother-in-law to install the app, he saw the three names I gave them. Obviously the names have to be on the BMS.
Hi Horsefly

You are correct, apologies. When I first set up a battery (some years ago) I noticed the name was not written to the BMS.

Regards

Richard

I agree, there are a few (maybe 3) places in the app where you can define a name. I have not taken the time to figure out which one does what.

PIN - I read in another thread it’s the Bluetooth module the performs the security and that one has not been sold for a few years. So the pin code is only at the iOS app level and does not apply to Android. I have not tested setting it on one device / iPhone.

Hi

Hope this helps.

View attachment 82405this helps
Thank you. Does the front page of the app show amp / power draw for each device? - I have five batteries in parallel so being able to have a single view of the amp draw between all of the batteries at the same time would be helpful to track differences in resistance of cabling or battery connections. If so is this available in a current release or repository I could get access to or is this a test version that’s not available on the App Store.

Thank you again for sharing this information this would certainly be helpful for me and others that are running large parallel systems

OK guys, I've got some good news:
You can set the BMS password using the JBDTools Windows app (the Chinese version, downloaded from Overkill Solar website). That is if you have the UART to USB converter for the JBD:

Overkill also has their own version which will allow to clear the password, but not set it.
For some reason, the Chinese version showed me all question marks instead of English on the "Other options" tab, but from Overkill's attached picture (came in the zip file) I was able to understand what textbox to enter the password in, and what button to press (both marked in red circles):
From overkill:
IMG_20220205_221954_726.png

From me running the app:
IMG_20220205_222000_461.jpg

Please note you need to enter a 6 digit number!
I was successful, and when I disconnected the Uart adapter and connected the Bluetooth dongle, it asked me for a password when trying to connect to the BMS using the Android app.

So there you go... it's possible!

P.S. Do this at your own risk!
I was successful with a 4S 150A JBD BMS, but it might not work for you...

OK guys, I've got some good news:
You can set the BMS password using the JBDTools Windows app (the Chinese version, downloaded from Overkill Solar website). That is if you have the UART to USB converter for the JBD:

Overkill also has their own version which will allow to clear the password, but not set it.
For some reason, the Chinese version showed me all question marks instead of English on the "Other options" tab, but from Overkill's attached picture (came in the zip file) I was able to understand what textbox to enter the password in, and what button to press (both marked in red circles):
From overkill:
View attachment 82550

From me running the app:
View attachment 82551

Please note you need to enter a 6 digit number!
I was successful, and when I disconnected the Uart adapter and connected the Bluetooth dongle, it asked me for a password when trying to connect to the BMS using the Android app.

So there you go... it's possible!

P.S. Do this at your own risk!
I was successful with a 4S 150A JBD BMS, but it might not work for you...
Thank you, I would love to know if someone verifies it with IOS as well.

Back