diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

Thanks, I will give these suggestions a try. Yeah they really need to sort out the language issues as it would make it so much better. The hardware seems ok but software issues seem a pain. Kinda thinking I should have spent the extra on a better brand!
if you find a better brand bms with the same features , same price range, let me know.

language issues will get sorted out.

i have a little problem with the seplos bms and the sma sunny island
get an event 10429 battery error it does not affect the system but this warning is anoying.
i found out this warning disapear if the soc is lower the capacity alarm, if the soc get over the capacity alarm then the alarm message in the bms software disapear but the 10429 warning showing in the inverter again.
so its look like the warning is inverted

disable the capacity alarm switch does not help.

i have chatted with the seplos engineer and they say all is working like it should and blame sma for this, i asked sma and they say we do not know seplos and this bms is not suported... what a mess

somebody know a workaround?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 80
  • si ca1.jpg
    si ca1.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 79
i have a little problem with the seplos bms and the sma sunny island
get an event 10429 battery error it does not affect the system but this warning is anoying.
i found out this warning disapear if the soc is lower the capacity alarm, if the soc get over the capacity alarm then the alarm message in the bms software disapear but the 10429 warning showing in the inverter again.
so its look like the warning is inverted

disable the capacity alarm switch does not help.

i have chatted with the seplos engineer and they say all is working like it should and blame sma for this, i asked sma and they say we do not know seplos and this bms is not suported... what a mess

somebody know a workaround?
Wild west of BMS protocol issues. Let us know if you get an answer.

lol have solved the problem
just changed the canbus sma to pylontech now its working like it should
this bms is realy weird

so if someone have a sma inverter and problems with warnings, so try pylontech canbus

but the issue with the 98% is still existing, it stops counting on 98,3% then sits there and wait for i dont know what

si ca2.jpg

i have my settings attached tested and working for lifepo on sma sunny island

Attachments

• Parameter 20220426_1755.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 68
this bms is realy weird

so if someone have a sma inverter and problems with warnings, so try pylontech canbus

but the issue with the 98% is still existing, it stops counting on 98,3% then sits there and wait for i dont know what

View attachment 92708

Do you have a BMS cable pinout?

there is one in the manual
but i just pluged the rj45 network cable in my sunny island and the bms it is working

this bms is realy weird

View attachment 92708

Its reached the cell cutoff threshold set in the software, either up that or now change the SOC in settings to 100% to reflect that current cell voltage is your100% SOC, Are you trying to achieve 3.65per cell? mine is set to 3.45 max as my 100% refernce point.

interesting i can tell the bms what the 100% voltage is? i try it
but as far as i remember i have done this once it worked only for that moment and the next charge cycle was the same problem
my max voltage is 3,55 per cell

high voltage alarm is on 3,55 and the charge end voltage is 56,8v

The BMS is not supposed to know how to charge a Lithium battery. Its only supposed to be there as a failsafe to protect it. Its your MPPT charger that is supposed to know how to charge the battery.
Wrong! If they offer a communication with a few brands then I assume that they know how the different Inverter are acting - at Victron for example they don´t know it, they don´t even understand it.
(At victron: when there is a Canbus BMS then it´s the master because it´s the boss, it´s fitted to the battery)

For example: They are sending the value "Max. total voltage protection" (= above this value the BMS cuts off!) as CVL to the inverter!
CVL is the end of charge voltage, the "goal" for the inverter.
If the Inverter regulation-system goes 0,06V over this goal the BMS cuts off - really smart (y)
(I know now how REC works for example and they just doing it perfect)

At Victron i can trick the bms because i can set the CVL lower internal in the Victron system, so I´m charging to 3,55V which is the alarm-value in the BMS and which is setting the SOC to 100%.
"Max. total voltage protection" (CVL they are sending) is at 3,65V to cut off here....my "real" CVL is lower as I said.

The function to reduce the charge-current when a single cell goes above 3,55V is also not very smart, they are just sending "max. 10A", whether that's enough or not doesn't matter...
At victron it´s special because reducing CCL does not work, they have to reduce CVL - Victron don´t want to add a additional feature to do it internal, Seplos will never to it because they don´t understand it and they only are buying this board from a big supplier....REC does it perfect again, but it also costs three times more...

this bms is realy weird
Yes it is, in a german forum i have seen that with SMA there are also a lot of problems.
The thing is: The hardware is good and but the software is a fail. They only added a correct BUS-protocol adapted to different inverters, but that doesn´t mean that the "Signals and Infos" are sensible and appropriate for each different inverter :)

You can manually change the SOC, normally when I set these up for a customer, I top balance all the cells to3.65, hook up a new Seplos unit, login with admin & admin, go to upload settings, change the battery capacity,rated capacity, then change the SOC ah to whatever the cells are rated for, the change the top end cut off and bottom end cutoff, enable the balance and minimum delta then its job done. you have a fully charged pack, set at 100% soc noted with zero charge cycles ready to go. Section 8 & 59 are what you want to change.
View attachment 92361
Hi
Do you mind sharing the settings you change?
Thanks

It's in the post you just read, quoted and replied to :) section 58 & 59
ya did that but I was referring to: the top end cut off and bottom end cutoff, enable the balance and minimum delta
whats ur recommended values and which sections are they
thank u

No located in Lebanon
shipping to Lebanon is 250 USD per cbm.. each box is arround 0.1 cubic meter so shipping would be 125 usd
i heard that the 304 and the 280 are nearly same dimension so they can fit
remember these are custom and not premade ..so they can be edited
i just gave them the dimension of the the lf280 and the 3d file of seplos bms and screen
and they made it from scratch
180 is the price of sample.. they can go to 130 if its a huge order
if you want to order just tell them you want the same box Mahdi did..they have the 3d file....so you dont need to provide them one
moq is not 5.. but they wont do one for cheap. You can do a group order (you and people you know )
i have orderef these too from here

Hi Mahdi,
can you please send me your phone number..
i live in Lebanon 2 i need to ask you for advice.
Regards

Anybody using this Seplos BMS with Sol-Ark inverters? I'm curious if they place nice with communication.

Anybody using this Seplos BMS with Sol-Ark inverters? I'm curious if they place nice with communication.
they work just fine with deye and sunsynks, so unless sol-ark fumbled , there shouldnt be any reason it wont work.
as i don't have a sol-ark, nor a deye, cant tell you with 100% certaincy though

they work just fine with deye and sunsynks, so unless sol-ark fumbled , there shouldnt be any reason it wont work.
as i don't have a sol-ark, nor a deye, cant tell you with 100% certaincy though
Follow up question, I have the RS485 versions of the Seplos BMS, and not the Canbus version, but I see Sol-Ark has 2x RJ45 ports with each labeled RS485 and Canbus respectively. Does that mean Sol-Ark can communicate either way?

Follow up question, I have the RS485 versions of the Seplos BMS, and not the Canbus version, but I see Sol-Ark has 2x RJ45 ports with each labeled RS485 and Canbus respectively. Does that mean Sol-Ark can communicate either way?
that i don't know...
i've only seen ( and seen tested) canbus between deye and seplos

Last edited:
As a derivative of DEYE inverter, it may support both (CANBUS is better). however you have to ask sol-ark if they support pylonthec. The seplos BMS has an pylonthec emulation. Be aware that you will not get any support from Sol-Ark by conecting a non officially supported battery.

Last edited:
Back