diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

NO mppsolar don't support CANBUS on any of their inverter . mppsolar support only RS485 BMS protocol. that been said your inverter will work well without having a BMS communicate with. everybody use to do like that for a long time with mppsolar inverter.
they now also have a rs485 version, which i and some other members have recieved for testing.
unfortunatly no documentation yet, and as we all know , most chinese are on holiday untill feb 10

They say they do, but my inverter is complaining "BatNameFail" when set to Pylon. If I set it to user-defined it works, and reads the CAN properly.
What settings do you have for user-defined? I got seplos connected to Solis RHI inverter and getting same error 'BatName-FAIL'

What settings do you have for user-defined? I got seplos connected to Solis RHI inverter and getting same error 'BatName-FAIL'
I've left it at defaults for now, basically because I don't fully understand the settings and my battery hasn't had chance to fully charge yet anyway (not much sun these days).
When I get to it, I'm going to try these things. 1) change the dipswitches to change canbus address from 0 to something else. If that doesn't work I'm going to 2) change the voltage lower and upper voltages to those documented in this post (50v -> 54v which is about 14% SOC up to 99% SOC).

I've left it at defaults for now, basically because I don't fully understand the settings and my battery hasn't had chance to fully charge yet anyway (not much sun these days).
When I get to it, I'm going to try these things. 1) change the dipswitches to change canbus address from 0 to something else. If that doesn't work I'm going to 2) change the voltage lower and upper voltages to those documented in this post (50v -> 54v which is about 14% SOC up to 99% SOC).
Thanks. Got it runing with user definied settings. I just tried to match them to my previous setup that I had with pylontech batteries.

Last edited:
Thanks. Got it runing with user definied settings. I just tried to amtch them to my previous setup that I had with pylontech batteries.
Can you take a photo of the user defined settings for me please? Thanks.

Can you take a photo of the user defined settings for me please? Thanks.
Here is what I got I would say the protection voltage should be tweaked but I am not to woried about them as BMS should be able to handle them and protect cells.

Attachments

• IMG_20220207_113940614.jpg
    IMG_20220207_113940614.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for doing that. In that case how have you set up your BMS? I have more trouble with this than with the Solis inverter, as the Chinglish in the Battery Monitor software is a bit harder to decipher.
BTW - your inverter is the 3KW version?

Here is what I got I would say the protection voltage should be tweaked but I am not to woried about them as BMS should be able to handle them and protect cells.
Looks like you are running the same inverter as me, I have the 6k unit and my settings are identical

this document describe the bms intercommunication , not the protocol expose to the inverter.
ah apologies, I misread what you were after. It uses the pylon protocol which i'm not sure is officially documented

Looks like you are running the same inverter as me, I have the 6k unit and my settings are identical
I asked Reklamos because I have the 5K unit, and I've set the current limits to 100A (just over 0.3C on a 280AH pack). His limits are set to 60A, so unless he's running a small pack or a 3K unit, I think those are too restrictive.

I asked Reklamos because I have the 5K unit, and I've set the current limits to 100A (just over 0.3C on a 280AH pack). His limits are set to 60A, so unless he's running a small pack or a 3K unit, I think those are too restrictive.
Mine is also 5kW, the limits are for 60A because mine can only charge/discharge at 3kW max. 100A would give you 5kW charge/discharge. My inverter is older 4G, the newer 5G ones are rated at 5kW for charge/discharge.

Mine is also 5kW, the limits are for 60A because mine can only charge/discharge at 3kW max. 100A would give you 5kW charge/discharge. My inverter is older 4G, the newer 5G ones are rated at 5kW for charge/discharge.

Mine has never gone above 60amp even from grid charge and its set to 100 in the menu, the manual states it can charge at 100 on the 6k model, not sure if this is a limitation on the inverter using the default BMS comms

I've seen about 80 amps both going in from Solar and out to loads.

You have set the limit on both the Solis AND on the BMS with Battery Monitor?
Solis is set to 100amp and the BMS only has a setting for over current protection and not a charge rate that I can see.

They say they do, but my inverter is complaining "BatNameFail" when set to Pylon. If I set it to user-defined it works, and reads the CAN properly.
In user defined mode, the canbus is not use, the inverter just sense the voltage of the battery to monitor the charge/discharge. BTW which inverter are you using ?

In user defined mode, the canbus is not use, the inverter just sense the voltage of the battery to monitor the charge/discharge. BTW which inverter are you using ?
We both have Solis inverter. I have also set to user-defined as it does not work otherwise. Looks like Seplos is not providing or providing wrong name to inverter. According to Solis CAN protocol, name is at 0x35E. I'm just wondering what Seplos has set at this address.

Back