diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

Yep, they warn me the pcb shows canbus information even if it is not. Still waiting the pins connection details for the rj connector.
So the Voltronic connects to the port labelled as CANBUS, but that port is running RS485 ?

i'll just wait for confirmation of seplos before connecting, as i dont want to kill my rs485 port on my inverter(s)

So the Voltronic connects to the port labelled as CANBUS, but that port is running RS485 ?

i'll just wait for confirmation of seplos before connecting, as i dont want to kill my rs485 port on my inverter(s)
yes, exactly, that why I'am waiting for port pins description. you don't have to connect your inverter, you can use your usb-rs485 cable and this script. https://github.com/Frankkkkk/python-pylontech

I'd be worried that their long list of compatible inverters just means the inverter will run (a marketing technique), not that it will properly pay attention to the CANBUS. Each inverter has completely different protocol specs and the BMS would need to be explicitly configured to indicate that a particular type of inverter is connected to it (so it can configure the CANBUS protocol properly). It will be interesting to hear if Seplos says that the inverter will pay attention to the CANBUS signaling (e.g. max charge/discharge current, charge voltage, etc).
Do you know the protocol for growatt and Rosen batteries? Trying to get the protocol

Just thought I would update everyone, after lots of back and forth and finally getting through to a very helpful support guy at Seplos we run tthough all the tests he asked, he confirmed it was faulty and passed the email chain back to Adam in sales who straight away sent me a new one, they sent it priority air mail and arrived in the UK in three days flat. I have just installed it and its working exactly as described
Did you get the protocol that seplos uses for their bms communication?

good, glad to hear it does work.
was prepping myself today for the arrival of my bms later this week , so read the manuel.
i saw the same thing in the manual, so you're positive only 5&6 need to be connected ?
i'll start by making my own cable as to prevent the same issues...

after i confirm it works, i'll test it with the pylontech cable i have, but good catch !

how are you linking it now that it works?
especially like the precharge feature, althought wiring both positive and negative i've never seen in a bms before
What’s this cable thing about ?

Guys I need your help please!
Want to install a BMS on my powerwall that is composed off 49 Leaf Gen 1 cells, I have arranged in parallel packs of 7, (8v), then all in series to give me approx 58v. I run this via a MPP Solar 5048MGX, with custom battery settings and no BMS, (I can hear the cries of ‘no’), but over the past 12 months I have had no balance issue in general use that have bothered my. But have decided that I should think again. Hence I stumbled upon the Seplos BMS as a potential solution and have spent the last several hours going through every post on this thread. Mostly it scares me as in my simple mind it was fairly plug and play.
Can anyone advise me to go ahead, bearing in mind I am not clever like you guys obviously are, and I can forsee myself getting bogged down in sorting out details that you all seem to thrive on.
I have a simple question therefore. If I purchase a Seplos 14s, can I actually hook it up between my pack and my MPP MGX, via the CANBUS, having selected ‘Pylontech’ in the MGX software config manual and have any chance of it actually working straight out of the box? Please advise. Thanks in advance, Brian (UK)

Want to install a BMS on my powerwall that is composed off 49 Leaf Gen 1 cells, I have arranged in parallel packs of 7, (8v), then all in series to give me approx 58v. I run this via a MPP Solar 5048MGX, with custom battery settings and no BMS, (I can hear the cries of ‘no’), but over the past 12 months I have had no balance issue in general use that have bothered my. But have decided that I should think again. Hence I stumbled upon the Seplos BMS as a potential solution and have spent the last several hours going through every post on this thread. Mostly it scares me as in my simple mind it was fairly plug and play.
Can anyone advise me to go ahead, bearing in mind I am not clever like you guys obviously are, and I can forsee myself getting bogged down in sorting out details that you all seem to thrive on.
I have a simple question therefore. If I purchase a Seplos 14s, can I actually hook it up between my pack and my MPP MGX, via the CANBUS, having selected ‘Pylontech’ in the MGX software config manual and have any chance of it actually working straight out of the box? Please advise. Thanks in advance, Brian (UK)
Please see posts by @HighTechLab

My personal opinion, you are better off going with a REC Q BMS. While the seplos units are decent, the REC is a lot better for the chemistry of the cells you are using and can provide great functionality. They have no problem handling the cell voltage and configuration that you are using. The REC can communicate as well.

Thank you for your reply. Would you know whether the REC can talk to MPP Solar units? Have to say price was also a motivating factor for the Seplos.

Thank you for your reply. Would you know whether the REC can talk to MPP Solar units? Have to say price was also a motivating factor for the Seplos.
As hightech said the REC unit is preferred for 14s as the Seplos does 15/16S and probably not in the voltage ranges you need, the rcs also has can comms

Hi, there is a 14s version of the Seplos available from the Seplos site, really it’s down to whether all the potential hassles with me being able to get the inverter to talk to the MMP unit are within my capability. Does anyone know if the REC or Batrium units which are alternative options have history working with my inverter/charger brand?

Hi, there is a 14s version of the Seplos available from the Seplos site, really it’s down to whether all the potential hassles with me being able to get the inverter to talk to the MMP unit are within my capability. Does anyone know if the REC or Batrium units which are alternative options have history working with my inverter/charger brand?
The Seplos 14s is for NCM chemistry only as far as I am aware?? I could be wrong though. From my brief chat with REC last year the BMS can be programmed at the factory for different brand inverters.

Do you know the protocol for growatt and Rosen batteries? Trying to get the protocol
seplos support a compatible pylontech canbus protocol, use by most inverter with canbus protocole, they also have specific protocole for growatt and other. just call them for confirmation.

NO mppsolar don't support CANBUS on any of their inverter . mppsolar support only RS485 BMS protocol. that been said your inverter will work well without having a BMS communicate with. everybody use to do like that for a long time with mppsolar inverter.

seplos support a compatible pylontech canbus protocol, use by most inverter with canbus protocole, they also have specific protocole for growatt and other. just call them for confirmation.
They say they do, but my inverter is complaining "BatNameFail" when set to Pylon. If I set it to user-defined it works, and reads the CAN properly.

Back