diy solar

diy solar

"server rack fusing”

I think that looks good, hope positive cable has no chance to get insulation cut through and short to chassis.
Does negative cable come off bottom right?

I see wire looms are being used as insulators around busbars. Bolts stick out. There is a cover, correct? Is it able to fit, probably cut in sections?

I think that looks good, hope positive cable has no chance to get insulation cut through and short to chassis.

I see wire looms are being used as insulators around busbars. Bolts stick out. There is a cover, correct? Is it able to fit, probably cut in sections?
I used rubber grommets where 4/0 cable passed through the battery case, negative comes through bottom right.20240110_152038.jpg20231127_231705.jpg

I used rubber grommets where 4/0 cable passed through the battery case, negative comes through bottom right.View attachment 188594View attachment 188595The positive and negative Buss Bars have heavy plastic covers.
S20240112_192432.jpg20240112_192951.jpgShould there be more attention shown to the Buss Bars for safety? I don't understand "wire looms are being used as insulators around busbars".

Attachments

• 20240112_192440.jpg
    20240112_192440.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
My way, two racks stacked 6-EG4 LP4 and 6-EG4LL V1.

Blue sea holder direct to the busbar.

Attachments

• 20231028_090015.jpg
    20231028_090015.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231028_145417.jpg
    20231028_145417.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 36
Should there be more attention shown to the Buss Bars for safety? I don't understand "wire looms are being used as insulators around busbars".

I have observed that after exposed busbars were used, these rack vendors have added plastic which is normally used to organize runs of LAN cable. They weren't designed as insulators, nor tested by UL with a mechanical finger and applied pressure to see if hazardous voltages or currents can be connected.

The busbar is about 55V, but more important can deliver massive current if shorted. Supposedly BMS turns off for over-current, but I don't trust transistors for safety. It looked like the bolts are somewhat exposed, could be contacted with a tool or jewery.

Was a cap provided for the plastic wire looms? That would help prevent contact. Maybe the term is "channel" not "loom"

1705107484431.png

I want to add an AC Battery charger 48v ,any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have observed that after exposed busbars were used, these rack vendors have added plastic which is normally used to organize runs of LAN cable. They weren't designed as insulators, nor tested by UL with a mechanical finger and applied pressure to see if hazardous voltages or currents can be connected.

The busbar is about 55V, but more important can deliver massive current if shorted. Supposedly BMS turns off for over-current, but I don't trust transistors for safety. It looked like the bolts are somewhat exposed, could be contacted with a tool or jewery.

Was a cap provided for the plastic wire looms? That would help prevent contact. Maybe the term is "channel" not "loom"

View attachment 188613
yes there was a cap supplied ,it will not fit over the bolts. Buss bar needs to be recessed more.

yes there was a cap supplied ,it will not fit over the bolts. Buss bar needs to be recessed more.
Thank you for pointing this out.

there has to be a better way of dealing with the exposed buss bars

I want to add to add a Battery charger 48v ,any suggestions?

Solar charge controller? There are many. Often one from manufacturer of your inverter is good, but people do mix and match.

Or do you mean AC powered charger?

I've got a couple charge controllers, Outback and Midnight. But most of my equipment is SMA, including an inverter/charger.

there has to be a better way of dealing with the exposed buss bars

If cabinet door requires a tool, that helps keep the uninitiated away. But covers are good when you're working on it.

If busbar can be set lower to fit provided cover, that would be good.
I used recycled heater hose hose to cover battery terminals. Then discovered they are conductive (but still good for preventing massive shorts.) You could get rubber hose and split it.

Solar charge controller? There are many. Often one from manufacturer of your inverter is good, but people do mix and match.

Or do you mean AC powered charger?

I've got a couple charge controllers, Outback and Midnight. But most of my equipment is SMA, including an inverter/charger.

If cabinet door requires a tool, that helps keep the uninitiated away. But covers are good when you're working on it.

If busbar can be set lower to fit provided cover, that would be good.
I used recycled heater hose hose to cover battery terminals. Then discovered they are conductive (but still good for preventing massive shorts.) You could get rubber hose and split it.
20240112_205024.jpg20240112_205044.jpg

EG4 Chargeverter - for AC charging. Available from Signature solar and Current Connected. Highly rated by users on the forum here, I don't have one yet, but going to get one.

Back