diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on the AOlithium 51.2 server rack lithium battery -48v

1. How long was the wait for shipping in Canada? Was it sent from within country or was it sent from overseas with import surprises?
  2. I was thinking of getting 4 singles rather than 4-unit kit.. That way they one could avoid the undersized parallel cables..
  3. I thought the SP6548 was a Voltronics hardware variant, maybe try settings for the Voltronics/MPP units?
  4. Have you noticed any of the SOC variation that Will was upset about?

Last edited:
I'm also interested into Canada shipping experience. Huge custom bill or something like that ?
I was thinking to buy 4, and I agree the parallel kit is a little bit limiting at 100a. I would have hope to use a full LV6548 in it configuration. 5kW is not bad, but that 6.5kW would have been useful at time (And even more useful to have more if I put 2 unit to get 240volt in parallel).
Maybe we can ask to get only 2 battery in parallel and use the 2 longer wire to connect to a battery bus.
The price right now is interesting, there is a basic special, plus another 100$ per battery because of preorder for november shippement AND no shipping fee (from what I can see). It feel it the cheapest option for canadian right now.
And it apparently UL listed (not sure if it UL listed for canada, as I haven't seen the UL Listed logo anywhere..

Yup @moc , all in appears to be the most cost effective per pack for Canadian consumers.

If you buy just 1 they are 18% cheaper than the new Ruixu but if you buy a set of 4 they are about 7% less costly.

So the more you buy the closer Ruixu gets to price,.. they are alot bulkier than the Ruixu 3U units though.

Last edited:
Yup @moc , all in appears to be the most cost effective per pack for Canadian consumers.

If you buy just 1 they are 18% cheaper than the new Ruixu but if you buy a set of 4 they are about 7% less costly.

So the more you buy the closer Ruixu gets to price,.. they are alot bulkier than the Ruixu 3U units though.
It 8% difference right now, but yes. The 350$ Shipping is making the big difference cost of the Ruixu.
Also AOLithium say taxes is included in the price and ship from Canada. Ruixu say there is a Toronto warehouse, but no mention of taxes and on checkout there seem to be no mentions of taxes.
This to me is a problem... Unless there is no taxes on solar power battery... (I don't think so), if I but with my business, I need taxes to be displayed in my invoice to get it reimboursed... So they both lose point there for me, but they do make it very economical, even versus buying it from the USA it a better deal in Canada I think right now.
I didn't see the Ruixu was 1U smaller. I don't know if that really bother me. Having the display might be more interesting to have. I could put 11 battery in a single rack 44 rack (if it handled the weight). Would having 3 more unit per rack be worth it with the Ruixu ? I don't think so... BUT handling the 3U vs 4U might be easier, but if you are 2 to install these batteries, then I don't think it really matter.
The different power terminal bug me more about both these units. I really like the idea of having a safer terminal to work with these units, but not if they are impossible to get and make out own cables. Also I would like to have a way to put a plate over the connector to lock screw them in place.
Aolithium is interesting for being UL Listed (if it really is listed in canada), it remove one more governement hurdle and can be installed and used with ongrid system without issues, and maybe even get tax credit for it.
RUiXU support 32 unit in parallel versus 16 for the aolithium...
I'm unreally undecided... Thanksfully I don't need battery this instant hehe

The cost comparison was shipping inclusive. For what it's worth the Ruixu customer support is a little more responsive and have better answers.

Perhaps worth asking directly how taxes are accounted for in the sale, could help with the decision.

The AOLithium connectors are the FSP models from Futronics Connectors, might be hard to find but in reality I am sure they can be swapped over to the SOK type if needed.

I get AOLITHIUM I will only get single units with the longer cables and set-up a bus bar.

Also Ruixu has a neat modular stack rack where you can stack units up to 10 I think... only available on the US website though.

It 8% difference right now, but yes. The 350$ Shipping is making the big difference cost of the Ruixu.
Also AOLithium say taxes is included in the price and ship from Canada. Ruixu say there is a Toronto warehouse, but no mention of taxes and on checkout there seem to be no mentions of taxes.
This to me is a problem... Unless there is no taxes on solar power battery... (I don't think so), if I but with my business, I need taxes to be displayed in my invoice to get it reimboursed... So they both lose point there for me, but they do make it very economical, even versus buying it from the USA it a better deal in Canada I think right now.
I didn't see the Ruixu was 1U smaller. I don't know if that really bother me. Having the display might be more interesting to have. I could put 11 battery in a single rack 44 rack (if it handled the weight). Would having 3 more unit per rack be worth it with the Ruixu ? I don't think so... BUT handling the 3U vs 4U might be easier, but if you are 2 to install these batteries, then I don't think it really matter.
The different power terminal bug me more about both these units. I really like the idea of having a safer terminal to work with these units, but not if they are impossible to get and make out own cables. Also I would like to have a way to put a plate over the connector to lock screw them in place.
Aolithium is interesting for being UL Listed (if it really is listed in canada), it remove one more governement hurdle and can be installed and used with ongrid system without issues, and maybe even get tax credit for it.
RUiXU support 32 unit in parallel versus 16 for the aolithium...
I'm unreally undecided... Thanksfully I don't need battery this instant hehe
Ruixu just jacked up the prices on the Canadian website 1 day after offering a "preorder" discount... so AOLithium is by far the most cost effective option in Canada right now. There is just so little info about them.

Oh boy. Aolithium running a special. Under $1300 a piece for 51.2v 100ah. Two for $2579. I should add two more to the two I have.
Those are some smoking prices and I just installed my panels.

Oh boy. Aolithium running a special. Under $1300 a piece for 51.2v 100ah. Two for $2579. I should add two more to the two I have.
Those are some smoking prices and I just installed my panels.
I am strongly considering it... In Canada they are $1499 CAD right now.. which is about $1100 USD when converted.. and free shipping.

How have the 2 you have been working @dstar ?.. is the SOC indicators working properly?.. will said his were wonky but I never saw any actual bench testing.. just some feedback as one of many stacks attached to an EG4 18K

I have 20kWh Ruixu kit on order but will be weeks before they ship so being able to get 25kWh with AOLithium and save $1000 at the same time is tempting.

I am strongly considering it... In Canada they are $1499 CAD right now.. which is about $1100 USD when converted.. and free shipping.

How have the 2 you have been working @dstar ?.. is the SOC indicators working properly?.. will said his were wonky but I never saw any actual bench testing.. just some feedback as one of many stacks attached to an EG4 18K

I have 20kWh Ruixu kit on order but will be weeks before they ship so being able to get 25kWh with AOLithium and save $1000 at the same time is tempting.

I currently have two home grown 48v 100ah batteries connected to my system. The aolithium batteries are off to the side. This weekend I'll be busy re-organizing my setup and preparing to get the full aolithium stack connected when the two new units arrive. I need to move an inverter over about a foot to make room for racking.

I have a lot of things to complete. Still have freshly installed panels from a few weeks back that aren't connected to an inverter. I want to get the outside work completed before it gets very cold out.

It's been a very slow process for me collecting parts and building things out. But I am getting a little anxious now to get it all up and running.

Sounds good, share some photos when you get it going. Also let us know if you get communications to work properly.. if that is something you will connect. Also I assume that any 19" rack will work? although the AOLithium packs are quite long I think.

Damn, Is this reported by the BMS and also observable when measuring cells directly?.. They are ridiculously low price for Black friday deal and people are jumping on it.

Last edited:
Is this reported by the BMS and also observable when measuring cells directly?.. They are ridiculously low price for Black friday deal and people are jumping on it.
Those cell voltages are accurate actually but look at the SOC. I was not cycling these batteries at all and I kept checking on them, and they always said full charged. Then when I hooked up a inverter, it showed low voltage. I check the cell voltages and they are too low as you can see. But it always showed 100% SOC. That is why I did not charge them. But the standby on this bms is awfully high. They need to change that. And the bus bar system. Just not that well thought out over all

Last edited:
Great feedback, hope they can do better... wonder if this is common to other owners' experience. That behavior seems deffective, a warranty issue maybe?

Last edited:
I'm looking g at buying two of the aolithium 48v batteries. Has anyone been able to connect with solar assistant. I have a diy 48 280ah that's connected. I can find any info anywhere. Thanks for any help. I also have a victron 500amp smart shunt.

Those cell voltages are accurate actually but look at the SOC. I was not cycling these batteries at all and I kept checking on them, and they always said full charged. Then when I hooked up an inverter, it showed low voltage. I check the cell voltages and they are too low as you can see. But it always showed 100% SOC. That is why I did not charge them. But the standby on this bms is awfully high. They need to change that. And the bus bar system. Just not that well thought out over all
Yikes, 1 volt on some cells? The balancer must be garbage?

These are by far the cheapest in Canada from what I’ve seen and I’m so tempted to actually get one but there isn’t a whole lot of technical reviews on them.

I actually have a thought on this. You say "I was not cycling these batteries". Did you have the units on but neither charging nor discharging?

It is possible the BMS does have a high enough standby parasitic draw and this draw for some reason is not counted by the onboard shunt (it may be below the set threshold of the BMS) or the power supply to the BMS is bypassing the shunt entirely. If the batteries are left for long enough and not charged it is possible the BMS itself will deplete the cells and not report the draw under the SOC. For a normal user this is not a reasonable use case as these units would get at least some charge every day in an off grid solar setup and that charge would dominate the parasitic draw of the BMS itself. It does however look like an oversight by the engineers and is a risk - if a pack is not to be used it should be turned off.

If the BMS has a parasitic draw of even 5W it would deplete any 5kW pack in under 45 days. How long would you say you had the pack sitting not charging? This is very useful insight.
Yes that's exactly what happened. Most of these server rack packs have a storage mode if they are unused. Once it discharges it enough, the lowest capacity cell will shoot down to one volt. It has nothing to do with the BMS balancing ability. It's the idle consumption of BMS and that's it. And the soc meter probably resets everytime it's fully charged, that's why mine shows 100% even though they are all deeply discharged.

And once I have a LiFePO4 cell below 2.3 ish volts, I don't try to recharge. Not smart to do.

And once I have a LiFePO4 cell below 2.3 ish volts, I don't try to recharge. Not smart to do.

So it's dead?

Just reading the user manual for these, it says usable capacity 4608 Wh as well which equates to about 90Ah at 51.2v.
Can these things actually do 100Ah discharge?

I'm wondering mainly because of mix and matching with an SOK which has a capacity of 104Ah.

I ran into an issue with another battery that said it was 100Ah but actually only gave me 96Ah(cells imbalanced seemed to be the main problem), and it cost $3000 CAD. That thing got sent back and traded for the SOK.
But these are half the price of the SOK here in Canada.
So I'm curious if it will be actually 100Ah(if anyone has done a capacity test on it), or is it over rated and actual capacity is lower...

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are virtually no definitive documented testing of these packs by independents or influencers. The community will have to do it I guess and report back here.

Back