diy solar

diy solar

Thoughts on the AOlithium 51.2 server rack lithium battery -48v

These are now down to $999 on their website... I have been looking for batteries, are they worth it at that price? I would have to think so!

These are now down to $999 on their website... I have been looking for batteries, are they worth it at that price? I would have to think so!
Not only that. If you add a stack of 2,3 or 4 batteries you get an additional $100 off per battery. A stack of four is $3559.99. I didn't check if orders still shipped for free but that's crazy low pricing.

Not only that. If you add a stack of 2,3 or 4 batteries you get an additional $100 off per battery. A stack of four is $3559.99. I didn't check if orders still shipped for free but that's crazy low pricing.
Where are you seeing that? I am showing a stack of 4 is $3959.99 on their website

Where are you seeing that? I am showing a stack of 4 is $3959.99 on their website
Add the stack of two, three or four to your cart and go into checkout. It'll apply the additional savings.

Add the stack of two, three or four to your cart and go into checkout. It'll apply the additional savings.
There still is a $100 discount for a single one, at least on the Canadian website. But you get an additional $32 savings if you get the stack of 2 vs 2 separately.

I’m not buying right now but I wish I was. That’s a good deal! Free shipping to boot.
One could buy 3 sets of 4 for the cost of one eg4 rack
IMG_0505.jpeg

I was planning on purchasing the EG4 PowerPro. Is there any reason not to buy these instead?

I was planning on purchasing the EG4 PowerPro. Is there any reason not to buy these instead?
The only negative report so far is Will said he charged them up and left them sit for an extended period of time and they self discharges too much.

They are less than $1000 USD now so there has to be a catch but it this catch big enough for your use-case, reliability requirements and support needs.

Support and reliability is the unknown... if its worth the risk is up to each buyer.

I would like to buy two of them but I am using my system for backup power currently. They would be paralleled to two SOK units. I turn them off when I’m not using them.
Is there still a parasitic load from the BMS when off?

I would like to buy two of them but I am using my system for backup power currently. They would be paralleled to two SOK units. I turn them off when I’m not using them.
Is there still a parasitic load from the BMS when off?
Will’s seemed to maybe have a parasitic draw and no way to turn off the BMS. It sounded like he didn’t want to charge them back up so I’m still wondering if they are dead now or what. He seems to be one of the few people on here that have them and it would be great if he did a tear down at some point and post the results on YouTube.

I’m not buying right now but I wish I was. That’s a good deal! Free shipping to boot.
One could buy 3 sets of 4 for the cost of one eg4 rack
View attachment 176983
Use Discount Code "AOLITHIUM05" for an additional 5% off. Haven't ordered anything but I verified the code worked on a single battery in my cart, very tempting at $950 with free shipping

I don't think he will, the American market has way more variety at a reasonable price - there's no reason to review something that he's already biased against and has an abundance of other options. This battery however is ideal for Canadian buyers only because of the pricing. When I receive mine I will do a review on them.
Perhaps. Now that they're $999 USD, they must be the cheapest in the states as well I think?
Still would be interested to know whether his batteries are dead. Since he mentioned that he didn't want to try charging them up again.
I mean are they dead as in garbage?
@Will Prowse

Perhaps. Now that they're $999 USD, they must be the cheapest in the states as well I think?
Still would be interested to know whether his batteries are dead. Since he mentioned that he didn't want to try charging them up again.
@Will Prowse
I would love to know too. Also, it looks like the extra in cart savings on buying multiples is now gone

@Will Prowse
Oh they are completely dead and will not take a charge. Of course I tried that. Probably within the first five minutes of finding the issue with these batteries.

And going by the price, sounds like they are trying to get rid of them.

The BMS has a high idle consumption without storage mode, and this caused the packs to self discharge to death. And the SOC meter is not accurate and showed 100% the whole time I had them.

Oh they are completely dead and will not take a charge. Of course I tried that. Probably within the first five minutes of finding the issue with these batteries.

And going by the price, sounds like they are trying to get rid of them.

The BMS has a high idle consumption without storage mode, and this caused the packs to self discharge to death. And the SOC meter is not accurate and showed 100% the whole time I had them.
Thanks for the update.
Yeah that certainly is very strange.
It seems like their BMS isn't wired through the shunt or something... So it can't detect it's own power consumption.. And I guess it thinks it's still charged so the BMS doesn't accept any current?

Certainly it's good to know that this could happen, so we can make sure not to let them sit for a while.

I wonder if the BMS could easily be rewired to go through the shunt, if it's not doing that. Maybe someone will figure it out at some point.
Pretty strange either way.

Thanks for the update.
Yeah that certainly is very strange.
It seems like their BMS isn't wired through the shunt or something... So it can't detect it's own power consumption.. And I guess it thinks it's still charged so the BMS doesn't accept any current?

Certainly it's good to know that this could happen, so we can make sure not to let them sit for a while.

I wonder if the BMS could easily be rewired to go through the shunt, if it's not doing that. Maybe someone will figure it out at some point.
Pretty strange either way.
Or you can use a higher quality bms with automatic storage mode

If you guys are trying to build a cheap battery, just buy some cells and slap a bms on it. Still cheaper than these packs. Why spend all this money on packs that have issues? Just build it yourself with good cells and bms.

100ah cells. $55×16=$880. Jk Bms=$185 $1065 w/o box. Aolithium $950 +Jk bms$185 $1135 with box.

100ah cells. $55×16=$880. Jk Bms=$185 $1065 w/o box. Aolithium $950 +Jk bms$185 $1135 with box.
Fair point. Geez these things are getting cheap. Have not checked cell prices in months, you are correct. In the past they were around 1/2 the price, does not seem to be the case any longer.

Fair point. Geez these things are getting cheap. Have not checked cell prices in months, you are correct. In the past they were around 1/2 the price, does not seem to be the case any longer.
Of coarse quality of the cells must be equal to make this work.

At this point I may just pick one up and ride it until it dies.. If it dies quick then dive into the offshore warranty fun. Really wonder if the other owners had it die..

Keep in mind also in Canada the gap is even wider, we get hit with much higher shipping on large items and import taxes in general. If these deliver 80-90% of the performance of an SOK but are half the price, I'll be satisfied.
Are you allowed to legally drive them across the border? I’ve always wondered that

ok, update for Canadians, the extra $100 CAD off is gone and packs will ship out on Nov 20th apparently. You can still go to aolithium.ca and use the code AOLITHIUM05 to get $80 off per pack though.

diy solar

diy solar
Back