diy solar

diy solar

Shallow well pump soft start.

So today I upgraded the cables to 2/0 and It still does it. So I called Magnum’s tech support. After about 30 min of troubleshooting he had determined the Chinese 1/2hp motor is to blame. Which I do agree with him Because my other house runs a MS-4024-PAE and it starts a 1hp shallow well pump no problem.

he recommended for me to wire this inline with the pump. And it should take care of the problem. Or buy a better pump.
If you replace the pump, I've heard of continuous run pumps that actually used less Kwh and no bladder tank needed. My son was talking about it, his former employer had one installed and thought it was great.

Starter winding.
It says not to run below 80% of full speed for an extended time.

View attachment 81561

Good point.

In the past, motors that were designed for 1 continuous motor speed depended on the fan that is attached to cool the motor.

Depending on the exact motor design (don't know the details) some motors would run warmer at low rpms / lower frequencies.

Some motors are designed for continuous use with lower rpms, but you are right - many are not.

I'd like to make my own soft start but have never been able to find a suitable vendor for ntc thermistors
I have used Amtherm for many years for NTC. I bought quite a few units over the years and worked directly with the owner/engineer. He is very helpful picking out parts. They make a fine part and there is quite a bit of information on their page. I believe there is some application information on the site for starting well pumps. I am certain that a PTC type solution can be used to mitigate inrush current on 3 phase motors when line starting tho I am less familiar with single phase units.

i have sent Engineer at Ametherm a note asking for any application information he may have - along with pointer to this discussion. Maybe he will show up with something.

I have searched the forum and the net but don’t understand what I need.

I have a Magnum MS4448PAE with 600ah of LifePO4 batteries. I’m powering a small 1 bedroom manufactured home that they handle no problem. But I have a Red lion 1/2hp 230v shallow well pump hooked to a 500 gallon cistern tank. Every time it cycles on the whole house flickers and the tv turns off. I know I need a soft start of some sort but don’t know which one? Everything I find says they are for A/C units not well pumps. The pump specs are 11.8 amps at 120v or 5.9 amps at 230v. I currently have it wired 230v.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Myers well pump manufacturer makes softstart units . not sure it will help but I had an issue on startup with a submersible well pump and I took a running capacitor and wired in parallel across the line and it made a difference on startup at the pump . the cap was a fan one maybe 10mfd.
it's on 240v .

Back