diy solar

diy solar

Shut down whole system why? Help

dac1943

I installed a 24 v system yesterday and just flashed a light a couple of time and shut down.
I completed the installation at about 3pm and it is now 1:30.
50 amp breaker is tripped and will not reset.
I don’t have a meter to test anything.
It was so good having a fan and lights but now nothing.
The battery protect has a blue light but only half lite number.
At a loss what to do.

The line "50 amp breaker is tripped and will not reset " points to some wiring issue. To check start with taking it apart to look for an error in your setup. Make sure you keep some charge in your battery at all times, Lithium or LA needs to have some capacity left or either dies a premature death. So if you are done for the day troubleshooting disconnect the solar panel and battery until the next day to make sure nothing get's killed or catches fire while you are asleep,

What battery?
What 'Battery Protect'?
What charge controller?
What charger?
Pictures of the system?

Yes, indentify and address the cause of the overcurrent condition. Photos of the wiring in the enclosures and an idea of what equipment is there along with a general description of the architecture and what you intend it to do. These help immensely!

What battery?
What 'Battery Protect'?
What charge controller?
What charger?
Pictures of the system?
Battle born 12v
What battery?
What 'Battery Protect'?
What charge controller?
What charger?
Pictures of the system?
[/QUO
Battle Born 12 v
Charge Control Victron Engery 10r-05 3542
Epever tracer Robs iec62109

Attachments

• A2D8026D-0B68-4F2E-8D2C-713252FD5C88.jpeg
    A2D8026D-0B68-4F2E-8D2C-713252FD5C88.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 8EA7CDDB-A1A8-4877-957B-E5DF515EAC02.jpeg
    8EA7CDDB-A1A8-4877-957B-E5DF515EAC02.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 28
  • AD27EE5D-3D40-406A-AB94-F4A4FD6A5533.jpeg
    AD27EE5D-3D40-406A-AB94-F4A4FD6A5533.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 31
  • 622F5F58-6DD7-4251-B1DC-68D9FE8E44C1.jpeg
    622F5F58-6DD7-4251-B1DC-68D9FE8E44C1.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2B2686C0-0650-41E4-BF67-623AD4F02DE7.jpeg
    2B2686C0-0650-41E4-BF67-623AD4F02DE7.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 0BF582CD-A4EA-409F-BDCE-740E4348A96D.jpeg
    0BF582CD-A4EA-409F-BDCE-740E4348A96D.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
I tested the 24v battery disconnected and it reads 24.5v, when connected to system it reads 3.2v.
The 50 amp breaker still will not close shut.

How about a circuit diagram of your setup. In my opinion, create a blueprint 1st and work to it, it will decrease the probability of making a mistake.

In *MY* (personal) opinion, if you can't get some colored pencils, a ruler and white paper (minimum),
Draw out your system so you know what's what, where it connects, then you have no business trying ANYTHING.
Pictograms/Diagrams are fine, no need for a proper electrical schematic,
But an ACCURATE diagram, updated as you make changes, is a REQUIREMENT since you won't remember a thing in a year's time...
AND, no one else has any idea what you did...

It's just too easy to jot down the wire gauge, color (everything in red or black :rolleyes: :poop: ) and where it comes from/goes to so maybe someone can help when things go wrong...

I tested the 24v battery disconnected and it reads 24.5v, when connected to system it reads 3.2v.

I would contact Battle Born on that.
Nice people and really helpful in my experience...

Will the breaker close without the battery connected?
If not, the breaker is fried.

Sometimes its helpful if the duck explains it to you.
Code:
buck converter
    line
        + connected to battery protect
        - connected to - bus bar
    load
        + connect to load center
        - connected to load center
load center
    line
        + buck converter load side
        - buck converter load side
    load
        + ?
        - ?
- bus bar
    line
        - battery
    load
        - inverter
        - charge controller
        - buck converter line side
        - battery protect
battery protect
    line
        + battery
    load
        + inverter
        unidentified black box
        breaker
    signalling
        -buss bar
unidentified black box
    line
        battery protect
    load
        buck converter
breaker
    line
        + charge controller
    load
        battery protect
inverter
    + battery protect
    - bus bar
battery
    + battery protect
    - bus bar

Battle born 12v

Here is what I *think* is in the pictures:
1581101911401.png
Could you confirm/correct the diagram and let us know what the unknowns are?

It looks like you have a Victron battery protect (BP100?) in line with your inverter. Victron does not support that configuration.

If I have the diagram correct, and the breaker is the one to the SCC, then the most likely explination is that either the SCC is bad or the breaker is bad.

My guess is that your 2 x 12V batteries weren't perfectly balanced and your system was not charging them, or not charging fast enough to keep up with loads and your loads drained the batteries. One battery in series would always trip its BMS first, but based on 24.5V OCV I would guess that 2nd battery is almost empty as well.
So, you are reading OCV of empty/almost empty batteries in series and as soon as you apply any load, the empty battery trips the low voltage and shuts off power.
You should use a 12V charger and make sure both batteries are fully charged before putting them in series.
Then check if your SCC is producing a charge current. Pretty hard to do without a DC clamp meter, so you should get one. $30 on Amazon. Best money you'd ever spend on a meter.

I am following Wills 24 v you tube project and I will put together a road map of items and there numbers.
I will try to get a new 50 fuse also.
I live on St John US Virgin Islands so the amount of Hardware is not like you folks.
Thanks for the help Dan

I just remembered BattleBorn has 24 Volt batteries (and the OP talks about 24V) so it makes sense there is a 24->12 buck converter.

My guess is that your 2 x 12V batteries weren't perfectly balanced and your system was not charging them, or not charging fast enough to keep up with loads and your loads drained the batteries. One battery in series would always trip its BMS first, but based on 24.5V OCV I would guess that 2nd battery is almost empty as well.
So, you are reading OCV of empty/almost empty batteries in series and as soon as you apply any load, the empty battery trips the low voltage and shuts off power.
You should use a 12V charger and make sure both batteries are fully charged before putting them in series.
Then check if your SCC is producing a charge current. Pretty hard to do without a DC clamp meter, so you should get one. $30 on Amazon. Best money you'd ever spend on a meter.
The is only been a 12v fan on I have 4 325 watt panels in series

@dac1943, I just re-read the thread and am trying to figure out what you have. You say it is a 24volt system and you are using 12V BattleBorn. Do you have two of the 12V BattleBorn in series?

I live on St John US Virgin Islands so the amount of Hardware is not like you folks.
Thanks for the help Dan
Oh man.... you really do need batteries!!! My sister has a rental overlooking Coral Bay and I have been following the whole WAPA mess. She has two Tesla Power Walls at the rental due to the unreliability of the power. I watch the tesla app and I am amazed how often the power goes out!

WAPA = Waiting Around for Power Again.

Last edited:
Back