diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

OK, had some more time to look at it this weekend. Here's what I learned:

Communication with 6500 EX Inverter:

- I had to not only use USB direct, but I also had to plug a USB Cable into BOTH inverters to get full functionality.
~With just one USB cable plugged into one Inverter and parallel cables between the two, I could see some info from both inverters in Solar Assistant (SA), but not all - as soon as I plugged one into each inverter and then into the SA Pi, then all was good.

Communication with EG4 LifePower4 Batteries (No LCD):

-As instructed by the EG4 Battery section on the SA site, I chose USB to Narada RS485 - when I plugged into the batteries with dip switch 2 in the up position, I could communicate with all batteries independently, but setting the others to 3, 4, etc, I could not. The issue was that It wasn't a Binary 3, 4, 5 etc. After researching the Narada implementation of the RS485 standard, I saw that I needed to set the batteries as follows:

View attachment 105651

The connection from the SA Pi started with the dip switch configured above for 'Pack 3', that shows as my Pack 1. From there, I just configured all of my other batteries as outlined in the picture above, going in order from left to right. I only have 6 batteries at the moment, so I stopped at Pack 8.

Hope this helps someone else.

The only outstanding issue is that though it works for a while, eventually I go back in, and it'll say "No Response. Retrying..." It was doing that before I got all packs added as well. As soon as I disconnect and then reconnect all is well, at least for a while.
I'm about to do what you have done, so I was searching for info like this before trying. You still having the "No Response" issue.

@PreppenWolf: Thanks... What smart shunt are you using/would you recommend?

I am going to use this one once I finush top balancing all my cells. I have the 600A version. I can monitor my BMSs (Overkill) with the Bluetooth dongles, bur that's too much tech for my wife. She wants. Single place to look.

Goupchn 600A Battery Monitor 2.4" Ultra Clear Display with Shunt 0-120V Support APP Control Wireless Voltage Current Meter DC Voltmeter Coulometer for RV, Car, Golf Cart, Boat Battery Meter https://a.co/d/9nomWo1

I am going to use this one once I finush top balancing all my cells. I have the 600A version. I can monitor my BMSs (Overkill) with the Bluetooth dongles, bur that's too much tech for my wife. She wants. Single place to look.
Overkill BMSs here as well. Thanks for the link on the shunt. I REALLY wish the inverters would talk with the Overkill BMSs but this shunt would make life easier to monitor the system.

I'll add this here. These are my current Overkill BMS settings on all 8 banks. I'm using the 6500EXs with manual values to control charging at 58.4V bulk. My setting for backup grid charging setting is 48V low and 52V cutoff just to keep the battery off the floor.

Screenshot_20221205-193432_Overkill Solar.jpg

Goupchn 600A Battery Monitor 2.4" Ultra Clear Display with Shunt 0-120V Support APP Control Wireless Voltage Current Meter DC Voltmeter Coulometer for RV, Car, Golf Cart, Boat Battery Meter https://a.co/d/9nomWo1
Another 'name brand' of the shunt above. Been running a couple months without major issues.
WonVon 600A Smart Battery Monitor - RV Battery Monitor with Shunt Support High/Low Voltage Programmable Alarm for Battery 0V-120V Support Bluetooth for 12V Lithium Sealed, Gel, Flooded Batteries https://a.co/d/c6YfX95

Yeah, I saw an answer from SS buried on one of the 27 pages of this forum at 2am last night saying the same thing.
Just an FYI Someone mentioned u cant spltphase 2 6548's from different brand names. I am running a sungold version and mppsolar version in splitphase

Attachments

• fr_1_size880.jpg
    fr_1_size880.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm about to do what you have done, so I was searching for info like this before trying. You still having the "No Response" issue.

Nope, all is well these days, and everything has been pretty rock solid. I was having some issues with Solar Assistant when having USB cables connected to both remotes, but if I just use a single remote and have the inverters configured with the parallel cables, then all is well.

Although I have updated the firmware in November out of curiosity, I just downloaded the inverter firmware from EG4 site again. The update now contains a file "EG4 79.60.inv" with a date modified of 12/23/2022. Anyone know what issue this updated/modified file fixes/corrects? @BenFromSignatureSolar

but if I just use a single remote and have the inverters configured with the parallel cables, then all is well.
I'm confused on what you did to resolve issues when connecting to SA.

In post #742 "With just one USB cable plugged into one Inverter and parallel cables between the two, I could see some info from both inverters in Solar Assistant (SA), but not all - as soon as I plugged one into each inverter and then into the SA Pi, then all was good." (This is what I experience)

Post #840 there is a battery connection issue when connecting both inverters AND batteries to SA. (The PV charge data I saw when connecting SA to both inverters and batteries seemed to be different than when connected to just the inverters, I don't seem to have the battery disconnect issue though)

Post #869 - SA now has no issues when connecting to a single remote and having the inverters configured with the parallel cables

How'd you get all data to appear in SA with just one USB to inverter and one to the batteries, was one of the parallel cables broken or not connected properly in post #742?

Although I have updated the firmware in November out of curiosity, I just downloaded the inverter firmware from EG4 site again. The update now contains a file "EG4 79.60.inv" with a date modified of 12/23/2022. Anyone know what issue this updated/modified file fixes/corrects? @BenFromSignatureSolar
It was designed to fix the unit shutting down and reverting to default settings.

Re seated. I was scared to push it in enough for proper connection
Was this Ribbon Cable inside the inverter, or part of the bottom piece that is part of the panel? I am having the same U01 error when I push the upper left button, cannot access the menu, plus my battery is not showing the correct percentage, I sent a message to Signature, but no response as of yet

Contemplating a grid-assist 6500EX based solution over here. Unless y'all think its crazy talk, I want inverters that allow me to:
  • Run my house full time
    • I have 2 years of Sense data and, at least at the spec sheet level, I'm looking at 2x 6500 paralleled to 240V split.
  • Enable consumption of municipal electrons in pass through mode when I've burned through my PV energy
  • While not actually an inverter requirement, ideally I'd size the battery to:
    • Maximize PV energy storage
    • Get me through a high rate TOU (3pm-12am) on PV+battery
In my brain this works no problem if you can have a separate battery charge limit for the mains vs PV, but the 6500 does not have this functionality. However...I THINK the 6500's can more or less achieve the same result by putting the inverters in SBU mode and tuning P12 and P13 (p43 in the manual).
  • I'd set P13 "back to battery source" SOC to 50% (FTR I'd expect future maths to better optimize that %)
    • I'm pretty sure this means the mains won't ever charge my batteries above 50% and all consumption above 50% SOC is solar+battery
  • I'd set P12 "back to utility source" SOC to 50%
    • I think means that the mains will simply take over energy duty in pass through mode when the battery drops to 50% (or if PV is still active, presumably some blend of PV/mains?)
    • What I'm not sure of: If the SOC falls below 50% and especially if there's no S, I think I'd prefer the inverter actually prioritize passing through energy from the mains vs pulling the battery, even though its in SBU.
      • If that doesn't happen and energy in fact comes from B and not U, what happens when the mains charge the batteries back up to 50%? (assuming no S)
    • Related to both above, I'm not sure if there would be some unfavorable ping-pong between B and U around 50%. Am I overthinking this one?
    • I could also imagine potential software confusion with both P12 and P13 at 50% SOC so perhaps I'd have to set P12 at 45%, but I don't think that changes fundamental logic here.
Does all that jive? Am I missing something? Am I aspiring for unrealistic functionality on the EG4s? Do I really just need to eat it and architect a system around Sol-Ark or Schneider?

Unrelated, on p9 of the 6500 manual, there's a note that says "Parallel feature will be disabled when only PV power is available". I'm not completely sure how to interpret this and SS doesn't have an answer (yet) either...so figured I'd ask here. I THINK this means that if both a) there’s no AC input into the inverters AND b) the batteries are discharged (so the only available power is PV), the paired inverters will no longer put out 240v split phase. But if there's juice in the batteries 240 is no problem. Does that sound right?

Contemplating a grid-assist 6500EX based solution over here. Unless y'all think its crazy talk, I want inverters that allow me to:
  • Run my house full time
    • I have 2 years of Sense data and, at least at the spec sheet level, I'm looking at 2x 6500 paralleled to 240V split.
  • Enable consumption of municipal electrons in pass through mode when I've burned through my PV energy
  • While not actually an inverter requirement, ideally I'd size the battery to:
    • Maximize PV energy storage
    • Get me through a high rate TOU (3pm-12am) on PV+battery
In my brain this works no problem if you can have a separate battery charge limit for the mains vs PV, but the 6500 does not have this functionality. However...I THINK the 6500's can more or less achieve the same result by putting the inverters in SBU mode and tuning P12 and P13 (p43 in the manual).
  • I'd set P13 "back to battery source" SOC to 50% (FTR I'd expect future maths to better optimize that %)
    • I'm pretty sure this means the mains won't ever charge my batteries above 50% and all consumption above 50% SOC is solar+battery
  • I'd set P12 "back to utility source" SOC to 50%
    • I think means that the mains will simply take over energy duty in pass through mode when the battery drops to 50% (or if PV is still active, presumably some blend of PV/mains?)
    • What I'm not sure of: If the SOC falls below 50% and especially if there's no S, I think I'd prefer the inverter actually prioritize passing through energy from the mains vs pulling the battery, even though its in SBU.
      • If that doesn't happen and energy in fact comes from B and not U, what happens when the mains charge the batteries back up to 50%? (assuming no S)
    • Related to both above, I'm not sure if there would be some unfavorable ping-pong between B and U around 50%. Am I overthinking this one?
    • I could also imagine potential software confusion with both P12 and P13 at 50% SOC so perhaps I'd have to set P12 at 45%, but I don't think that changes fundamental logic here.
Does all that jive? Am I missing something? Am I aspiring for unrealistic functionality on the EG4s? Do I really just need to eat it and architect a system around Sol-Ark or Schneider?

With the flat charge/discharge curve of LFP, the only way this might be accomplished is using EG4 batteries. You might be able to use Solar Assistant however combined with a shunt to accomplish what you want.

Unrelated, on p9 of the 6500 manual, there's a note that says "Parallel feature will be disabled when only PV power is available". I'm not completely sure how to interpret this and SS doesn't have an answer (yet) either...so figured I'd ask here. I THINK this means that if both a) there’s no AC input into the inverters AND b) the batteries are discharged (so the only available power is PV), the paired inverters will no longer put out 240v split phase. But if there's juice in the batteries 240 is no problem. Does that sound right?
This is when there isn't a battery for the inverters. These units can run without a battery as a single unit. The MPP LV6548 was the same, hook up PV and power loads without a battery.

I'm confused on what you did to resolve issues when connecting to SA.

In post #742 "With just one USB cable plugged into one Inverter and parallel cables between the two, I could see some info from both inverters in Solar Assistant (SA), but not all - as soon as I plugged one into each inverter and then into the SA Pi, then all was good." (This is what I experience)

Post #840 there is a battery connection issue when connecting both inverters AND batteries to SA. (The PV charge data I saw when connecting SA to both inverters and batteries seemed to be different than when connected to just the inverters, I don't seem to have the battery disconnect issue though)

Post #869 - SA now has no issues when connecting to a single remote and having the inverters configured with the parallel cables

How'd you get all data to appear in SA with just one USB to inverter and one to the batteries, was one of the parallel cables broken or not connected properly in post #742?
I think in that time period, they pushed 3 or 4 updates to Solar Assistant, so whatever they did, all is well and it's been pretty solid.

F09 is normally going to be a blown rectifier board. The board will need to be replaced. In shannonsman229's unit we had to replace the unit because we didn't have any boards available at the time.
Ben I have a EG4 6500EX from Signature Solar and has been working great for 3 months since I first hooked it up, but a couple days ago it quit and gave F09 code. Tried restarting and same thing. I googled it and found this thread, thought I would ask here before contacting SS direct. Anything I can do or check? It was in the morning some sun, light load on inverter, batteries charged.

Ben I have a EG4 6500EX from Signature Solar and has been working great for 3 months since I first hooked it up, but a couple days ago it quit and gave F09 code. Tried restarting and same thing. I googled it and found this thread, thought I would ask here before contacting SS direct. Anything I can do or check? It was in the morning some sun, light load on inverter, batteries charged.
F09 is usually bad news... if you'll dm me your info I'll try and get someone to give you a call tomorrow

@BenFromSignatureSolar

In other threads you mentioned that F09 is usually a problem on the AC side (at least that is what I remember). What kind of AC side problems might cause it?

Thanks

Back