diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

Looking for some assistance. I'd like to state the following.. this is my first solar project.... I may be an idiot. I purchased the 6500ex-48 from signature solar. I connected solar and ac in. I would like to use solar priority then grid to power the load. I can't seem to tell if I have this working. I do not have a battery connected as I plan to in the future. My goal was to simply reduce my kwh used from the grid during the day. When the inverter is powered on it shows a warning flash in the upper left of BP and the display shows bypass. I cannot seem to get this off of bypass, which I am under the impression is simply powering the load from the grid?

Looking for some assistance. I'd like to state the following.. this is my first solar project.... I may be an idiot. I purchased the 6500ex-48 from signature solar. I connected solar and ac in. I would like to use solar priority then grid to power the load. I can't seem to tell if I have this working. I do not have a battery connected as I plan to in the future. My goal was to simply reduce my kwh used from the grid during the day. When the inverter is powered on it shows a warning flash in the upper left of BP and the display shows bypass. I cannot seem to get this off of bypass, which I am under the impression is simply powering the load from the grid?
How to control it from the front display is all in the manual. To offer assistance, however, we need to know what the input voltage is from your solar panels. Is the voltage within the operating MPPT range of the inverter, and can it produce enough DC watts to operate it with the load you have connected?

Thanks. I even liked the post the other day, I read to much....
I'm still confused how you could have 2 bonds with both screws removed.
Wouldn't the neutral (bonded at the main panel) just pass through the inverters if both bonding screws are removed?

I am showing 200 volts from the panels
You know, I'm looking through the manual and the "Basic Setup" shows a 48V battery connected, and I don't see anywhere, where it says that this inverter can operate without a battery attached. Is anyone certain this is possible? I've only ever seen this inverter used with a battery connected.

Thanks. I even liked the post the other day, I read to much....
I'm still confused how you could have 2 bonds with both screws removed.
Wouldn't the neutral (bonded at the main panel) just pass through the inverters if both bonding screws are removed?
Not when running on inverter. The external N-G bond at the MSP is bypassed when in Battery mode.

That is not the grounding screw that the folks are talking about. It is a screw inside the inverter that disconnects that path that the internal bonding relay uses to bond Neutral to ground. Unfortunately, EG4 and MPP do not document it in the manual.
The screw inside is what I was referring to (the one will highlighted in a recent video) , there are 2 screws in each inverter?
I'll draw up a diagram of my plan tomorrow at work.
Wish the manual had a better diagram I could run by one of the EE's at work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220530-125839.jpg
    Screenshot_20220530-125839.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 36
The issue is split phase operation with an N running from each inverter plus a G. This is how I intend to wire my 2 LV6548's after the numerous discussions on this forum over many threads. There will be objectionable current between both inverters on G, I do not intend to remove a screw in one inverter at this time. View attachment 96414
What if you didn't have utility power feeding the critical load panel, would you still need the 3 pole double throw?
Main distribution panel; inverters; main panel.

You know, I'm looking through the manual and the "Basic Setup" shows a 48V battery connected, and I don't see anywhere, where it says that this inverter can operate without a battery attached. Is anyone certain this is possible? I've only ever seen this inverter used with a battery connected.
Oh jeez I hope it can.. I know i've seen the MPP solar equivalents (or at least in my mind i thought i saw these) run without battery. I just assumed it could.

Folks, I put together drawings showing the grounding and bonding of the MPP LV6548 and EG4 6500EX-48 for several different scenarios.

Please let me know if you see any errors.

Folks, I put together drawings showing the grounding and bonding of the MPP LV6548 and EG4 6500EX-48 for several different scenarios.

In the diagram "Dual inverter off Grid (Split-Phase 120V/240V)"
It would add clarity to explicitly call out the status of the n-g bond in the critical load box.

Should also be made explicit in "Single inverter Off Grid With Generator (Single Phase 120V)".

Last edited:

when dual units are connected to the Grid you are leaving one Inverter bonded N-G. That means there are two N-G paths in the system?

It would add clarity to explicitly call out the status of the n-g bond in the critical load box.

Should also be made explicit in "Single inverter Off Grid With Generator (Single Phase 120V)".
On the sixth diagram Dual inverter (Split-Phase 120V/240V) no ground wire go from the inverters to the critical loads panel?

Good Point. I will fix it.

when dual units are connected to the Grid you are leaving one Inverter bonded N-G. That means there are two N-G paths in the system?
No. When the inverter is in pass-through mode, the bonding relays turn off so the outputs only see the main bonding jumper. When in inverter mode, the AC input is isolated from the outputs and the bonding relay turns on so the outputs only see the bonding relay.

This diagram is gonna cause a fizzing noise between some sets of ears "Dual inverter (Split-Phase 120V/240V)".
Do you see any problem with running L, N and G from both inverters to the sub panel?
I know it will be parralel ground conductors but its only a single and predictable ground fault path.

On the sixth diagram Dual inverter (Split-Phase 120V/240V) no ground wire go from the inverters to the critical loads panel?
Correct, If you hooked the grounds from the critical load panel to the inverters, it would create a ground loop.

Note that everything gets grounded back the main breaker panel. Adding grounding between the inverters and critical loads panel does not make anything any 'better' grounded but it does create the ground loop mentioned above.

Unfortunately, there is a loop in the neutrals when in inverter mode. I do not see a way around this and it has the potential of causing some broadcast RFI issues.

These recent videos of Will's convinced me to go off-grid with 2 6500EX and 30kwh of rack mount batteries (EG LifePower4 x6). I'll have 20x 240W panels.
I plan to duplicate what Will has shown in the videos and his diagrams. I'm hoping he will explain the need for and correct wiring for communications.
Solar is fun but I would rather follow directions rather than fully understand what I'm doing. I have dealt with electricity in home repairs and even some electronics but I want to get this up and running and learn as time passes.

Back