diy solar

diy solar

Signature solar

I want to be clear that the safety thing came from SS not EG4. EG4 engineer said it was a safe and good battery.

Nothing hooked up to a battery, touching a metal terminal arcing. Negative not connected. Positive wire not connected to anyth and it arcs when touching the positive to put The screw in.
Hello Traviss224,
I sincerely apologize for the misinformation and communication during this issue you were having. I would like to say that as an employee at Signature Solar we are fully aligned with what Eg4 and Jarrett have stated saying this is NOT a dangerous battery. I will make sure that the tech support team is informed of this as well. Again, I apologize for this and will make sure personally to review the calls and address the tech support team. Additionally, I will work together with Jessica tomorrow to ensure we get you a proper resolution.

Could you clarify that last part? With nothing connected there was an arc to the screw of the battery terminal?
You could have the battery sitting on the table. Take the screw and just touch the positive terminal and it would arc. The battery be complete disconnected.

You could have the battery sitting on the table. Take the screw and just touch the positive terminal and it would arc. The battery be complete disconnected.
I wish you had that on video, I'd have to see it to believe it.

In my opinion LiFePo4 batteries, if made correctly, are safer than lead acid

Looks like EG4/SS has you taken care of.

I know. It’s crazy. Someone that I talked to said it was due to the amount of voltage these put out. I look forward to getting this resolved.

As I stated previously, SS took care of me awhile ago and spent many hours troubleshooting with me. I respected this very much so. That is why I came back.

I wish you had that on video, I'd have to see it to believe it.
I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on as well. In order for there to be an arc, especially one of 4in, there has to be a pretty big potential difference between two points (not 48V). From what I gather, the battery was sitting unconnected and someone simply touched a screw to the positive terminal only while the negative sat disconnected. Where did the arc form, between the positive terminal/screw and what? The negative terminal? If so, what distance are we talking? Is a static charge building up on/in the case somehow?

I want to be clear that the safety thing came from SS not EG4. EG4 engineer said it was a safe and good battery.

Nothing hooked up to a battery, touching a metal terminal arcing. Negative not connected. Positive wire not connected to anyth and it arcs when touching the positive to put The screw in.
Do you have a Youtube account that you could upload that to.
I don't think it's even possible for 52V Arc across any kind of gap above the sub millimeter mark.
Are you sure this is not a static charge on your body Arcing over?

It can't arc unless there is a conductive path between the + and the - What Screw? This is all quite confusing.

I guess it really doesn't matter though if they have been returned. Something ain't right though.

It may be a case that one of the batteries was bad and it has now ruined the others. But at least two of the bms are bad.

IMG_1164.png

Okay. So connecting that would complete the circuit? The Circuit to the Inverter? Probably need that Precharge resistor if that is the case. Anyway as above...it's been returned so good.
No, literaly just have the battery setting on the table, nothing around, nothing touching it, nothing connected. You could get the screw that screws into the terminal, touch the post and it would arc.

No, literaly just have the battery setting on the table, nothing around, nothing touching it, nothing connected. You could get the screw that screws into the terminal, touch the post and it would arc.
Please tell me you filmed it.

I really hope SS posts a video of these batteries because I'm having a really hard time believing it. It had to be static electricity or another load was connected.

@Will Prowse, I hear you've hooked up a battery or three over the years, have you ever experienced this?

Last edited:
Back