diy solar

diy solar

Smoke

I woke up this morning and thought it was fog till I smelled it. You can look right at the sun and it is just orange.

I'm also in central PA. You can taste it in the air. Agreed on killing production.
It's supposed to be worse tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_180423.jpg
    IMG_20230606_180423.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230606_180402.jpg
    IMG_20230606_180402.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 13
I'm not home right now. but my batteries got to 100%. So I am doing fine.

I'm also in central PA. You can taste it in the air. Agreed on killing production.
It's supposed to be worse tomorrow.
I'm also in central PA and I've noticed the hazyness too recently - didn't even realize that's what it was. I just figured it was humidity or pollen or something. Interesting.

Check out the local forecast. Never seen anything like this before.
In Ontario, not too far from one of the fires. Smell is heavy of smoke, hard to be outdoors for long periods.

Production is down abit, but I think that's mainly because the panels are caked in pollen. Since we haven't had rain in ages.
Screenshot_20230606-221327_WeatherCAN.jpg

I've never seen anything like this! I'd guess my solar production is being cut by about 30%
The camera doesn't really capture the smokey haze in the air.

smokey.jpg

Last edited:
and here - this was yesterday am, by afternoon it was much worse, no sun or shadows at all, 1/4 mile visibility, sometimes.

Attachments

• smoke.jpg
    smoke.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 3
I'm in the Canadian Boreal Forest (Northern Ontario) and wildfires around at every compass point, closest is 35 miles away (for now). Not only is it Pollen Season which is really thick, the fine ash particles are even worse ! It's also mixing with the pollen which makes it sticky ! Air Quality is atrocious and it is actually hard to do things outside for a period of time...

BTW: I've lived in the Boreal forest for YEARS ! okay, decades.... I have never seen it this dry, even the wetlands and peat bogs are drying out badly... If peat catches fire THAT is Extreme trouble and damned near impossible to put out. Peat can smolder for years once it gets going...

I guess that I have been lucky.
I'm not home this week. But have gotten a full charge every day. And I currently have 40 panels turned off, because I was charging faster than I wanted.

We had something similar a few years ago coming up from fires in Mexico. I don't think it ever got quite this bad where we were at the time (east of Houston) but it went on for weeks and was just miserable. And I didn't even had solar back then or it would have been more miserable. I feel for anyone who is dealing with this mess.

It’s reasonably bad here in the blue ridge NC/ Tn /Va triangle… …alerts and all that stuff… even if you can’t see it much , it messes with ya…Tuesday I couldn't even see the mountain across the way…
makes ya feel tired if working outside …

Here in South East Michigan, the haze is noticeable but not debilitating. Can't really tell if solar production is down or not because the weather has been cloudy and it hasn't rained for over a month so the panels are coated in a bit of pollen.

But we can certainly see the haze if we look at something distant.

diy solar

diy solar
Back