diy solar

diy solar

So sad to see the days getting shorter...

That's why I like the idea of making compressed hydrogen using excess solar, but the stuff sure isn't easy to store long term. Maybe some sort of algea based bio fuel instead. Something other than batteries for long term, non reusable storage of collected solar energy.
My understanding is that the big commercial producers are converting hydrogen to ammonia for shipping between continents etc then converting it back after delivery.

Back on topic this will be the first winter where I'm paying attention to what the sun is doing. Only a baby system currently with two Renogy 115W bifacials and a Delta 2 max. But plenty of room for ground mounts. Upstate NY so it does get low in the horizon during winter. Seems like some vertical bifacials may not be a bad way to go at least for optimum winter production and not worrying about snow shedding.

The other thing I was thinking is I have a 7*14 dump trailer. Once leaf season is over it sits in the yard until mulch season in the spring. Might be able to attach some kind of fixture to the front of the dump trailer bed to mount the panels, and allow angle to be adjusted using the hydraulic ram? Guess there's only so far I can go outboard of the dump box and not have a ton of flexing or failure.

FWIW, today (Sep 26) is the "real" equinox here in Maine, as we will get exactly 12 hours each of daylight and darkness. Gonna be a long road from here to late March.

Pffft...

With all the clouds here I have no idea how much sunlight I will get today...

Dang tropical storms...

The shorter cloudy days time of year are headed our way here in Ohio. A reminder of the fact if no sun, no power. I had a cloudy day all day yesterday as 16 panels did produce more power than a yr ago with 8 on a cloudy day. As I power washed several buildings using well pump and elect for power washer was able to end the day with a little more battery than with out the washing. I remember going about 3 weeks last yr with out a single sun day so is a good reason to never give up grid completely. My best learning curve is to conserve as much as possible during none sun days and hope for sun the next. May need to hook up the new charge inverter I bought many months ago that I haven't needed all this time been lucky to have a system where the sun all ways had my30k of batteries charged up at the end of the day.

Heh, in the side view of the car pic, just in front of the car you can see a bit of the generac I installed for her.

Back