diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K and EG4LL battery communications

Any luck Panther?
Hey @SlowVoltage I tried to get the upgrade completed this week but had issues getting the communication between the computer and the BMS. I created my own cable using a USB-to-DB9 connection. Did not work, so I ordered the cable from the video link above and going to try again on Saturday when I get in front of the batteries. Fingers Crossed that will work!

There is a setting in the battery for communication protocol. When the battery is commissioned you will select the Sol Ark protocol on the LL V2 battery and it should automatically connect to the Sol Ark unit.

You won't see them listed with SolArk, but they are designed to communicate with Deye, which is the company that makes the SolArk units.
I have the same situation, except I need to use the Luxpower protocol listed in the EG4-LL V2 manual. Luxpower makes the same hybrid inverter and they manufacture the same inverter with the GSL brand name. I'm installing (2) GSL-H-12K-US in parallel, which will provide me with 24K 240V 100A off grid and has the 200A bypass feature on grid. Since I have the same situation as in your post, should I be able to close loop these inverters in parallel with your EG4-LL V2 using protocol LUX?

I want to add (6) 48V 5KW 100A batteries. If I make the master or battery #1 the EG4-LL V2 battery, I can use the BMS in it to setup protocol and setup the batteries with the inverter. Therefore, can I add the cheaper EG4 batteries for the other five? 5 batteries x $250 is $1250 dollars, so is there a $1250 reason to add all EG4-LL V2 batteries?

Will Prowse have YouTube Videos with rack mounted batteries wired vertically with controls/connections on top or on a heavy duty shelving unit on their sides. I have space constraints issues, so I would need to use the rack mounted batteries as described or I could buy (3) 48V 10KW 200AH power wall batteries and they will work. I prefer (6) batteries vs (3) batteries, because if one fails 1/6 not working is much better than 1/3 not working.

Last edited:
I have the same situation, except I need to use the Luxpower protocol listed in the EG4-LL V2 manual. Luxpower makes the same hybrid inverter and they manufacture the same inverter with the GSL brand name. I'm installing (2) GSL-H-12K-US in parallel, which will provide me with 24K 240V 100A off grid and has the 200A bypass feature on grid. Since I have the same situation as in your post, should I be able to close loop these inverters in parallel with your EG4-LL V2 using protocol LUX?

I want to add (6) 48V 5KW 100A batteries. If I make the master or battery #1 the EG4-LL V2 battery, I can use the BMS in it to setup protocol and setup the batteries with the inverter. Therefore, can I add the cheaper EG4 batteries for the other five? 5 batteries x $250 is $1250 dollars, so is there a $1250 reason to add all EG4-LL V2 batteries?

Will Prowse have YouTube Videos with rack mounted batteries wired vertically with controls/connections on top or on a heavy duty shelving unit on their sides. I have space constraints issues, so I would need to use the rack mounted batteries as described or I could buy (3) 48V 10KW 200AH power wall batteries and they will work. I prefer (6) batteries vs (3) batteries, because if one fails 1/6 not working is much better than 1/3 not working.
If you were to get LL V1 batteries to put in the stack with the V2 it will work exactly as you want. You'll just need to flash firmware to the V1s. The lifepower4 batteries will function in the stack with the LLV2 but they will not be able to BMS communicate the way it sounds like you need them to. *I don't know if I'm able to say this on the forum, I apologize in advance* The V1 battery is being sold at a discount right now, rather than $1250 your difference would be $500 if buying 5.

If you were to get LL V1 batteries to put in the stack with the V2 it will work exactly as you want. You'll just need to flash firmware to the V1s. The lifepower4 batteries will function in the stack with the LLV2 but they will not be able to BMS communicate the way it sounds like you need them to. *I don't know if I'm able to say this on the forum, I apologize in advance* The V1 battery is being sold at a discount right now, rather than $1250 your difference would be $500 if buying 5.
I appreciate the answer. I have seen photos on SS website of the EG4 v2 as the master and EG4 v1 as the slaves, so I assume that was a given. I also didn't include the V1 battery in my question, because they are out of stock and no pre-orders. I saw no indication online about when or if they would be available again and assume they were discounted to sell off the remaining stock.

I know that Will Prowse have recommended the EG4 LiFePower4 in his YouTube videos as the better value for the money for some buyers not interested in the LED display functions or extended warranty. I'm concern about how these batteries will work with the EG4 v2 or if there is a pending firmware update for them or a new model soon to be released. I have heard that the two lines of batteries and/or the BMS are made by different manufacturers, so there are issues with them working together.

I chose EG4 v2 batteries because they have the LUX protocol for the inverters to work in a close loop. Am I right that EG4 v2 with the LUX protocol will have the Luxpower recommended factory setup values to interface the EG4 batteries automatically with the inverter? If mixed EG4 slave batteries are daisy chained together to the inverter, I should be able to poll the status of all batteries individually with the inverter or battery software for pc or app for smart phones?

I just bought the two 12KW hybrid inverters and waiting for delivery. My intent initially is to AC couple my existing (3) 5KW GT inverters to the new hybrid inverters in parallel.

I'm trying to make a decision about compatible batteries and I have no previous experience with batteries or hybrid inverters. If I'm wrong about anything or making bad choices, please correct me.

Last edited:
No you're pretty well spot on. The BMS is different between LL and LP4 and I don't think there is a firmware that could make them communicate. However, you are also accurate that the LLV2 will operate with the lux protocols and the LP4s can be monitored via PC software.

No you're pretty well spot on. The BMS is different between LL and LP4 and I don't think there is a firmware that could make them communicate. However, you are also accurate that the LLV2 will operate with the lux protocols and the LP4s can be monitored via PC software.
Any talk about a new release or version 2 of the LP4? It seems that all EG4 batteries and BMS should be totally compatible. Are more EG4-II v1 batteries coming soon or never?

You stated that the LP4s can be monitored via PC software ... does that also include the LLV2?

Last edited:
The EG4 LL V1 batteries are updated and working on the SolArk inverter. I had to buy this cable from amazon and got it to communicate to the BMS. I used the original cable that came with the batteries and connected it to the T/R+ and T/R- terminals, following that Video from Eg4. If you get a communication error on the software, just flip the cables on the USB-RS485 device and try again. After all batteries are flashed, I connected the master battery to ID |down, down, down, up|. Connected a straight through Ethernet from the battery CAN to the SolArk Battery CANbus connection. Then on the Solark made sure that the BMS Lithium Batt Mode is on and set to 0. You should now get a new menu on the gear setting screen for Battery information.

The one way I confirmed the communication was working is checking on the Batt temperature on the PV Pro app. Hope this helps anyone trying to upgrade the V1 batteries.

Attachments

• 20221029_173429.jpg
    20221029_173429.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6
Any talk about a new release or version 2 of the LP4? It seems that all EG4 batteries and BMS should be totally compatible. Are more EG4-II v1 batteries coming soon or never?

You stated that the LP4s can be monitored via PC software ... does that also include the LLV2?
There is no timetable for a V2 LP4 currently.

The LL and LP4 have different BMS manufacturers is the reason for incompatibility.

I can look into V1 availability today. I'm not sure what POs are out currently.

Yes, the LL's can also be monitored via PC software

I have all V1 batteries and got all of them flashed 1st try and in closed loop communication with my 12K Sol-Ark 2 days ago. I also had my Sol-Ark updated 2 weeks ago but I don't know if that had anything or not to do with it working. I posted a comment with how I did it on the afore linked video, but I'll repost my comments here as well:

"First off, thank you for making closed loop communication possible! One quick note to EG4. The new manual doesn't have the dip switch setting info in it like the old manual did. Now, for V1 only owners, here is what seems to be working for me on my 12K. Just did this today so... First, the same cable that works with BMS_tools can be used to update the firmware one battery at a time. Each battery address has to be temporarily set to on,on,on,on (one at a time) and the BMS power cycled before they will program, and the cable has to be in the RS485 port. Once this is done, there are no setting screens like in the V2, it just works. Once all batteries are upgraded, the battery that will be hooked to the Solark has to be addressed to on,on,on,off and have a cable from this batteries CAN port to the Solark's CAN port. The other batteries connect to this one through the comm ports. Now on the Solark, go into Battery Setup and enable BMS Lithium Batt and set it to 00. Tell it OK and you should end up back on the main screen and see a new Li-Batt info button. Press the Li-Batt info button and you should see the relevant information on your batteries. One potential downside to this is that the battery set to on,on,on,off will no longer show up in BMS_tools."

Update. I downloaded the current version of BMS_tools and now I can see all 4 batteries so no potential downside.

Today I also commented on a follow up question to clarify a few other things:

"They have the same menu information and button labeling and function they did before the flash other than the info on the top line of the screen changed. The V1's have multiple files to pick from to flash so once the V1's are flashed they are already in the mode you need based on the hex file you picked where the V2's have a single file to flash that contains the info for multiple inverters and you have to go through the menu to pick the inverter you want it to talk to."

Also, here is the link to where the flash program can be downloaded, https://eg4electronics.com/downloads/

Last edited:
Update! I seem to have discovered 1 little issue. With closed-loop communication, my 4 batteries were only charging at 100A total and the rest was going to the load and grid where before, everything went to the load and batteries until they were charged. Somehow when the EG4LL's told the Sol-Ark about themselves, the Sol-Ark only picked up on the 100A limit for one battery. On the Sol-Ark I had to go into Battery setup, Charge and increase the 100A limit. I increased mine to 160A.

You betcha

Need to check BMS comms with the 4048, they stripped that unit a lot.

Any Insight device will work well with it.

EG4 is now Schneider's newest battery partner for 2022.

Thanks for the EG4/Schneider heckling from the crew here :)
I am brand new to the forum. I have 6 new Lifepower4 48v100a batteries. I have an existing system with Schneider XW+6848, along with 2 MPPT 60/150’s, SCP, AGS, and Insight Home. I tried to establish closed loop communications between the LifePower4’s and the XW+ 2 days ago. Everything went well as in the You Tube video from Marcus. I did get communications established briefly, however the inverter went into a F90 fault within seconds. On the SCP it said “F90 BMS Disconnected”. Tech support @Signature Solar is telling me that the XW+6848 is not compatible with the closed loop communications. (I have all my components upgraded to latest firmware). So now I am trying to get all the necessary configuration settings from Signature Solar so I can set up the battery under “custom” battery settings with my Schneider inverter. I am very disappointed that the closed loop communications won’t work with the XW+. Is this what you understand?

I am brand new to the forum. I have 6 new Lifepower4 48v100a batteries. I have an existing system with Schneider XW+6848, along with 2 MPPT 60/150’s, SCP, AGS, and Insight Home. I tried to establish closed loop communications between the LifePower4’s and the XW+ 2 days ago. Everything went well as in the You Tube video from Marcus. I did get communications established briefly, however the inverter went into a F90 fault within seconds. On the SCP it said “F90 BMS Disconnected”. Tech support @Signature Solar is telling me that the XW+6848 is not compatible with the closed loop communications. (I have all my components upgraded to latest firmware). So now I am trying to get all the necessary configuration settings from Signature Solar so I can set up the battery under “custom” battery settings with my Schneider inverter. I am very disappointed that the closed loop communications won’t work with the XW+. Is this what you understand?
If you could DM me your email address we can help you dive into this and get it worked out.

Which firmware version are you running on the Insight Home currently?

Absolutely. Here is the protocol for the SOK batteries communications:
I now have Solar Assistant connected to my Sol-Ark, three EG4 LifePower bats and one SOK. Works pretty well so far with the EG4s. Trying to figure out a way to read both the SOK and the EG4s simultaneously. A bit "buggy" but way more useful than PowerView. See the following

Now we need the protocol for the EG4 LifePower bats? Does anyone have that or know where we could get it? Is it Narada as Solar Assisstant suggests??

-TBoone

Good day all!!

I had success with updating my V1 EG4-LL to the latest firmware. Please see the link to forum post below.

My goal is to connect the Sol-Ark 12k via CAN to the EG4-LL V1 batteries. It is raining here today in Freeport, Grand Bahama.

I will be connecting and testing tomorrow.

Good day everyone.

We finally connected the 2 x EG4-LL V1 batteries today and closed loop communication working fine.

We removed 16 x 6V Full River Batteries 40kWh (only 50% available so 20kWh) because 3 or 4 may have an issue.

I will further diagnose which of the 16 are still useful and use them at my office.

The next step is to upgrade to the EG4-Pro as these EG4-LL V1 units are temporary.

The firmware update worked great. Everything is working great. Thank you to everyone for the support.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-01-19 19-08-00.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-19 19-08-00.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20240119_155809282.jpg
    PXL_20240119_155809282.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 2
Back