diy solar

diy solar

sol-ark 12k to EG4 batteries not charging

cartrydge

I've contacted sol-ark and they don't know what the problem is. I have a stack of 5 48v EG4 batteries that went dead as i was without an inverter when I had to order a new one. When I plug the sol-ark into them with the battery settings correct from sol-ark. The sol-ark reads fully charged even though when i check voltage at the terminal coming in it shows 46volts. They recommended trickle charging my battery stack to get them upto power but, I don't have a way to do that this is all offgrid. That is the entire purpose of solar is to charge the batteries.... I'm not sure what else to try anyone have any suggestions?

they were on a growatt inverter that died and was using bms but, sol-ark says they don't support these batteries via bms

I've contacted sol-ark and they don't know what the problem is. I have a stack of 5 48v EG4 batteries that went dead as i was without an inverter when I had to order a new one. When I plug the sol-ark into them with the battery settings correct from sol-ark. The sol-ark reads fully charged even though when i check voltage at the terminal coming in it shows 46volts. They recommended trickle charging my battery stack to get them upto power but, I don't have a way to do that this is all offgrid. That is the entire purpose of solar is to charge the batteries.... I'm not sure what else to try anyone have any suggestions?
Have you run the BMS test software to determine the SOC on the batteries?

Ben, would you mind posting the settings here? I have 5 EG4 LiFePOwer batteries and a SolArk 12K too. I'm curious to see what you're recommending.
Sure,

Batt Capacity: 500Ah (number of batteries x100)
Max A Charge: 275A
Max A Discharge: 125A
Max A Grid Charge: 275A
TEMPCO: 3mV/C/Cell
BMS Lithium Batt: Not Selected
Float V: 56.3V
Absorption V: 56.5V
Equalization V: 56.5V
Equalization Days: 30
Equalization Duration: 1 Hour
Rec Shutdown Percentage: 20%
Rec Low Battery Percentage: 30%
Rec Restart Percentage: 40%
Battery Resistance: 9mOhms
Battery Charge Efficiency: 99%
Battery Empty Voltage:47V

We arrived at these settings with an individual using the Lifepower4 batteries and the Sol-Ark 12K. (These numbers did not come from Sol-Ark)

so you aren't selecting BMS in the sol-ark settings? I don't have the BMS software on a laptop i was just checking the voltate off my volt metter

Ok i went in and changed the battery setttings and power cycled it. I'll see where that ends up. I'll download the software as well. Thanks for the help. Will these batteries just keep flashing an alarm if they are just really low on volts? They keep flashing from alarm to run.
Is there anyway to charge these guys with like a trickle charger or something?

Ok i went in and changed the battery setttings and power cycled it. I'll see where that ends up. I'll download the software as well. Thanks for the help. Will these batteries just keep flashing an alarm if they are just really low on volts? They keep flashing from alarm to run.
Is there anyway to charge these guys with like a trickle charger or something?
The light will flash until the batteries are over 25%. And I recommend using a LiFePo BMS charger. It will charge at very low amperage until it comes out of protection mode then the BMS will call for more amperage and they'll charge fairly quickly.

Yea no joy still reading fully charged so it won't let anymore power in thru solar to actually charge the batteries. So frustrating. Screenshot_20221205-153306.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221205-153306.png
    Screenshot_20221205-153306.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 4
I've found that regardless of the percentage your Sol-Ark thinks your batteries are charged, it will source tons of current as long as the bus voltage is below your float-voltage setpoint. What voltage does the Sol-Ark show for your batteries?

Sure,

Batt Capacity: 500Ah (number of batteries x100)
Max A Charge: 275A
Max A Discharge: 125A
Max A Grid Charge: 275A
TEMPCO: 3mV/C/Cell
BMS Lithium Batt: Not Selected
Float V: 56.3V
Absorption V: 56.5V
Equalization V: 56.5V
Equalization Days: 30
Equalization Duration: 1 Hour
Rec Shutdown Percentage: 20%
Rec Low Battery Percentage: 30%
Rec Restart Percentage: 40%
Battery Resistance: 9mOhms
Battery Charge Efficiency: 99%
Battery Empty Voltage:47V

We arrived at these settings with an individual using the Lifepower4 batteries and the Sol-Ark 12K. (These numbers did not come from Sol-Ark)
Thanks Ben. I'm having good luck using lower charge and float voltages. It seems to hit the upper knee at 56.1, and it floats well at 54.4.
For me.

I've found that regardless of the percentage your Sol-Ark thinks your batteries are charged, it will source tons of current as long as the bus voltage is below your float-voltage setpoint. What voltage does the Sol-Ark show for your batteries?
Screenshot_20221205-154356.png

I always see a difference between the 5 batteries of .03 volt or so(according to bms, less measured at terminals), and between the Sol-Ark and batteries of .1 to .3 volts, as it charges, never anything more. I see it's alternating between 54.4 and zero.

Back