diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k and EG4 Lifepower4 first start up

Robert Vinson

I just installed 2 racks of EG4 batteries and 2 15k inverters. I have good voltage (52.6v- about 30% SOC) on the batteries at each inverter. As soon as I shut the input breaker to either inverter, all of the batteries go into protection. They will sit there and then reset, and then do it again. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have a EG4 chargeverter getting here tomorrow. I was hoping that putting it on charge would fix but wondering if I am missing something glaring?

I just installed 2 racks of EG4 batteries and 2 15k inverters. I have good voltage (52.6v- about 30% SOC) on the batteries at each inverter. As soon as I shut the input breaker to either inverter, all of the batteries go into protection. They will sit there and then reset, and then do it again. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have a EG4 chargeverter getting here tomorrow. I was hoping that putting it on charge would fix but wondering if I am missing something glaring?
so did you review the startup procedure that eg4 posted on yt ?

these 2 inverters have huge caps, triggering the overvoltage protection of the batteries

How is everything wired up? Maybe send some pictures. I have a 12k with 2 eg4 batteries, never had that problem.

Close all breakers first then turn the batteries on to utilize the pre-charge function.

So does that precharge the capacitors in the Inverter from the grid or solar so the batteries do not have to supply that surge?
Not sure how it would work in a grid tie situation but i know the pre-charge only works when the batteries are first turned on. So if the op was turning on his batteries first then closing breakers, he couldn't take advantage of the pre-charge function built into the batteries. This was causing a massive current spike while charging the capacitors that the bms likely saw as a dead short and put them into protect mode.

So does that precharge the capacitors in the Inverter from the grid or solar so the batteries do not have to supply that surge?
The pre charge function of the battery puts a resistor on the battery output to limit the current while the capacitor in the inverter charges. After a few seconds, the resistor is removed, and full battery is available to the inverter.

Back