diy solar

diy solar

Sol-ark + batrium canbus integration workaround until its supported

In another Sol-Ark related thread, @coolwaterxii asked me to share my experience so far with getting the Batrium to communicate with my Sol-Ark. so I responded to @coolwaterxii to come to this thread and I would answer his questions and share some of my experience so far.
Photos below. System is dual sol-ark 12k’s with 16s4p LiFePo4, Batrium Watchmon core with 64 Blockmon M-8’s.
Basically it’s pretty much is @audreez first post in this thread. In Sol-Ark you change your battery set up to be a BMS lithium 00, and I select active battery as well.
I use the CAT5 cable leaving the original ethernet plug on one end and stripping out the extra wires, leaving the blue, white blue and green wires, adding Ferrells, then connecting them to the canbus connector on the Batrium.
Of course before this process started I already had the settings for the most part preset in the Batrium. My biggest stumbling block was finding out where to enter the correct charge settings from Batrium so that Sol-Ark would display and have the correct charge and discharge and voltage settings from the Batrium. This is found in the remote setting screen which is one of the areas I still have lots of questions about.
If I made any significant changes to the settings in Batrium, I noticed that some time the lithium display screen in the Sol-Ark would display either zero settings or sometimes it would change and have your charge to voltage set at 237 V which obviously is not correct. So that is something that you have to monitor closely that when you make changes how does it affect what it’s telling Sol-Ark. (Edit: The process described above happened during resynchronization when I changed hardware settings, especially with the cellmon settings, not control logic settings, noted in the paragraph that follows this edit.)
I also found that sometimes when it ask you to do a re-synchronization, it will tend to make crazy things happen with the Sol-Ark. Sometimes it changes your settings and at one point for some reason, I lost all the settings in the Batrium and had to start from scratch.
I actually had to do a resynchronization this morning because I made a few more small minor changes yesterday. So I waited until this morning when there was no sunshine, disconnected canbus from the Batrium to Sol-Ark, then did the resynchronization process, and once that was complete, I then reconnected the two. Doing that process seem to work best as it did not create a glitch between the two communicating..
I have found that sometimes disabling and re-enabling the lithium battery set up in Sol-Ark helps that but more times it seems that whatever changes I made to the Batrium had to be reverted back to the previous settings. I have looked at as much information as I can including Batrium website. They have great instructions, but quite honestly, some of the things that they say I just really do not understand yet. Hoping to get some help from this community? However I know Batrium is out there if I must go that route.
Hope this helps?
Questions?
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 0B851059-1C06-4C96-8F4F-D3399AB49CAA.jpeg
    0B851059-1C06-4C96-8F4F-D3399AB49CAA.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DE3BFCDD-0593-4B84-9245-1CDD7E7C60D3.jpeg
    DE3BFCDD-0593-4B84-9245-1CDD7E7C60D3.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 68ACA7EB-6801-4354-97AB-0431A628D488.jpeg
    68ACA7EB-6801-4354-97AB-0431A628D488.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 54CD5389-880F-4226-B63E-5A615B93450F.jpeg
    54CD5389-880F-4226-B63E-5A615B93450F.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 54
  • FE54D3C2-C517-4FD4-90D6-55A36D2EA759.jpeg
    FE54D3C2-C517-4FD4-90D6-55A36D2EA759.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DD10D2D5-A21E-4FCB-972F-B7E7631A52D5.jpeg
    DD10D2D5-A21E-4FCB-972F-B7E7631A52D5.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 08DC477A-6CD9-434F-8FFC-AB40F7FDE4F2.jpeg
    08DC477A-6CD9-434F-8FFC-AB40F7FDE4F2.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
In another Sol-Ark related thread, @coolwaterxii asked me to share my experience so far with getting the Batrium to communicate with my Sol-Ark. so I responded to @coolwaterxii to come to this thread and I would answer his questions and share some of my experience so far.
Photos below. System is dual sol-ark 12k’s with 16s4p LiFePo4, Batrium Watchmon core with 64 Blockmon M-8’s.
Basically it’s pretty much is @audreez first post in this thread. In Sol-Ark you change your battery set up to be a BMS lithium 00, and I select active battery as well.
I use the CAT5 cable leaving the original ethernet plug on one end and stripping out the extra wires, leaving the blue, white blue and green wires, adding Ferrells, then connecting them to the canbus connector on the Batrium.
Of course before this process started I already had the settings for the most part preset in the Batrium. My biggest stumbling block was finding out where to enter the correct charge settings from Batrium so that Sol-Ark would display and have the correct charge and discharge and voltage settings from the Batrium. This is found in the remote setting screen which is one of the areas I still have lots of questions about.
If I made any significant changes to the settings in Batrium, I noticed that some time the lithium display screen in the Sol-Ark would display either zero settings or sometimes it would change and have your charge to voltage set at 237 V which obviously is not correct. So that is something that you have to monitor closely that when you make changes how does it affect what it’s telling Sol-Ark. (Edit: The process described above happened during resynchronization when I changed hardware settings, especially with the cellmon settings, not control logic settings, noted in the paragraph that follows this edit.)
I also found that sometimes when it ask you to do a re-synchronization, it will tend to make crazy things happen with the Sol-Ark. Sometimes it changes your settings and at one point for some reason, I lost all the settings in the Batrium and had to start from scratch.
I actually had to do a resynchronization this morning because I made a few more small minor changes yesterday. So I waited until this morning when there was no sunshine, disconnected canbus from the Batrium to Sol-Ark, then did the resynchronization process, and once that was complete, I then reconnected the two. Doing that process seem to work best as it did not create a glitch between the two communicating..
I have found that sometimes disabling and re-enabling the lithium battery set up in Sol-Ark helps that but more times it seems that whatever changes I made to the Batrium had to be reverted back to the previous settings. I have looked at as much information as I can including Batrium website. They have great instructions, but quite honestly, some of the things that they say I just really do not understand yet. Hoping to get some help from this community? However I know Batrium is out there if I must go that route.
Hope this helps?
Questions?
Thoughts?
Thanks for sharing this info. I'll try this on this coming weekend.
Awesome custom battery rack setup!

anyone upgraded to X.2.2.2 and 1.4.3.F (comm) and still have batrium working ? i upgraded my 15k and closed loop stopped working, interestingly enough rs485 data stopped flowing as well...

anyone upgraded to X.2.2.2 and 1.4.3.F (comm) and still have batrium working ? i upgraded my 15k and closed loop stopped working, interestingly enough rs485 data stopped flowing as well...
No. Since Sol-Ark data was being sent to Chinese based servers and updates were pushed without notice, causing system restarts, mine were kept off WiFi. My dual 12-K Sol-ark wifi dongles are now used for solar assistant.
Besides, after issues with software update bugs, etc, and after my last update to fix generator start issues, I’m no longer taking updates. It seemed, to me, that when I would accept an update, it seemed to create another issue. I even had a Sol-Ark customer support tech tell me not to do update unless I had specified issues because one fix may create other clitches. So the update to fix my generator start issues was my last update.
I’m still on:
Comm: 142e
MCU:Ver1109

This does not surprise me, perhaps the new updated software doesn’t want you to DIY your own hack BMS/battery system.

Edited.

Last edited:
Just curious if you’re still using the Batrium and Sol-Ark in communication as described in this thread? Sol-Ark 12K? Indoor or outdoor model?
If so, which firmware version are you running?
Yes but I have some pending changes, I will be moving my bank into the Seplos Mason kits & use the Seplos BMS. Main reason is space limitations in expanding my storage, Mason kit format will work better in my situation. My model is an indoor (1.1.2.2).

Yes but I have some pending changes, I will be moving my bank into the Seplos Mason kits & use the Seplos BMS. Main reason is space limitations in expanding my storage, Mason kit format will work better in my situation. My model is an indoor (1.1.2.2).
i ordered seplos kits for all my banks as well after getting one to test

i ordered seplos kits for all my banks as well after getting one to test

So what are the advantages of the Sepolos versus Batrium?
Assuming you need a Sepolos for every battery pack? So 16s4p would require 4 Sepolos?

Is there any kind of closed loop communication between Sepolos and Sol-Ark?

So which Batrium do you have? Are you keeping it or going to sell it?

Assuming you need a Sepolos for every battery pack? So 16s4p would require 4 Sepolos?

I believe the latest version v3 has active balancer option, see Andysgarage YT channel, has a review on them. I have the version before it, passive balancer, similar to my current Batrium. In short yes but you could do just a couple, one per 16s2p. Yes, I be.I’ve out of the box it supports DEYE aka Sol-ark.

I am at least a week or so away from getting my 1st mason / BMS setup, will have a total of 5 to build.

I believe the latest version v3 has active balancer option, see Andysgarage YT channel, has a review on them. I have the version before it, passive balancer, similar to my current Batrium. In short yes but you could do just a couple, one per 16s2p. Yes, I be.I’ve out of the box it supports DEYE aka Sol-ark.

I am at least a week or so away from getting my 1st mason / BMS setup, will have a total of 5 to build.
Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely check it out.
Please post on the progress and how things go. May have to eventually update at some point myself. If this works well and communicates well with Deye/Sol-Ark, I may have try it if it’s an improvement over my current setup.

i like the mason boxes for the extra safety and smaller stackable footprint than my DIY rack with selves

seplos emulates lg resu so yes it will work with soalrk (actually lets you choose from 5-6 option in the setting for BMS comms and works with most inverters)

my plan is to use seplos and connect it to solar assistant to get battery data in there along side the solark sicne solar assist doesnt support batrium directly

im planning on keep using the batrium for closed loop and cell balancing (core with m8's) i love the flexibility of settings and added safety of shunt trip breaker that batrium controls in case one of the cells goes haywire

Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely check it out.
Please post on the progress and how things go. May have to eventually update at some point myself. If this works well and communicates well with Deye/Sol-Ark, I may have try it if it’s an improvement over my current setup.
Seplos Bms's V2 and V1 communicate with deye/sol-ark and sunsynk like a charm too..
At this point NOT a big fan of the v3 BMS at all

i like the mason boxes for the extra safety and smaller stackable footprint than my DIY rack with selves

seplos emulates lg resu so yes it will work with soalrk (actually lets you choose from 5-6 option in the setting for BMS comms and works with most inverters)

my plan is to use seplos and connect it to solar assistant to get battery data in there along side the solark sicne solar assist doesnt support batrium directly

im planning on keep using the batrium for closed loop and cell balancing (core with m8's) i love the flexibility of settings and added safety of shunt trip breaker that batrium controls in case one of the cells goes haywire
Just use the sol-ark native deye protocol..
Why the LG ?

I will miss the relay option that the Batrium has since I believe Seplos does not offer that at this time.

Just use the sol-ark native deye protocol..
Why the LG ?
if you plug in like pytes mason box etc thats setup for sol-ark closed loop to victron gx they all show up as lg resu battery, lg resu is based on CANBUS standard spec and is the "native" to sol-ark even if they dont know that :)

if you plug in like pytes mason box etc thats setup for sol-ark closed loop to victron gx they all show up as lg resu battery, lg resu is based on CANBUS standard spec and is the "native" to sol-ark even if they dont know that :)
Erm , no..
Seplos uses their implementation of the pylontech protocol either over CANBUS or RS485.
inverter specific protocols can be chosen, but they are seplos's own implementation

Erm , no..
Seplos uses their implementation of the pylontech protocol either over CANBUS or RS485.
inverter specific protocols can be chosen, but they are seplos's own implementation

here's what i see

with victron:

1692827769713.png

1692827331241.png

and with "pylontech"

1692827787477.png

1692827678352.png

maybe pylontehc is lg resu based? or they are both very similar to standard canbus implementation ?

this is pytes battery setup for sol-ark dip settings

1692827886000.png

Attachments

• 1692827758901.png
    1692827758901.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 0
Back