diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark problems by David Poz.. anyone else?

For short term temporary power I’m using for four PCC-230’s sold by Sol-Ark. Have built a 16s4p power wall to use for our long term power.
Most of my work occurs during the daytime hours on the weekends and my state of charge is typically 90% or above most days usually 100%.
That might be your problem right there. You have 11Kwh of AGM battery power on two 12K Sol-Arks. They would not even let me put 5.2K of LifePO4 batteries on my one Sol-Ark 12K. They said it would be unreliable and really bad for the Battery. They insisted that I use at least 10K of Batteries to get a proper setup going and that was on system that is Grid Tied!
Until you get that 16S4P setup in place you might have to scale back on using to many heavy loads or your going to get DC power droops which will trip the Inverter.
When the sheet rock guys was mixing the mud stayed a charge was 94% at 8:49 AM on the when the multiple faults occurred, after that stayed in charge was 100% the rest of the day. As of yet been able to find out the exact drill they were using.
I think those older AGMs are letting you down.
That response was supplied by engineer 775 so you’ll have to ask him? I also stated in my post that the only other appliance running are the LED lights that we are using to work by. I do not have power to the house as it is still under construction. I only have temporary power to run lights and power up the tools that I need to use!

I have emailed Sol-Ark to give me more information about the transformers that they are wanting to supply. However they are very slow to respond, typically my email gets answered sometimes the same day but typically takes 24 to 36 hours before I get a reply. Also you will note in when I have posted responses from either Sol-Ark or engineer 775 I have use direct quotes with a copy and paste from messages.
I don't like dealing with Sol-Ark by email. As you said they do get back to you but it's at the end of the day or at night. The phone service is within minutes, so I really only use that.
I have been back-and-forth with Sol-Ark about this issue for the last couple of weeks. Dylan Rup did not ever respond to the original email I sent. I called and left multiple messages and got a call back finally.
If he is one of the new guys this is what happens. I had the same issue with a guy named Josh. He was actually the first person at Sol-Ark that was ever rude to me (in an email). Turns out that the new guys have to get certain things verified by the CS Manager and that can often take days due to his work load.
I have been dealing with one customer service person since that time. Not once have they asked to log onto the system and take a look at what’s going on. My system is not online typically, but due to the issues that I’ve been having, I bought a tablet with a Wi-Fi hotspot and have my system connected to the Internet since January 1 so that I can track the data and Sol-Ark and see what’s going on. However after engineer 775 came over and visited last week, they pushed an update to the system that did seem to help my generator issue as stated. To my knowledge this is the only time they have looked into the system since these issues have been going on.

According to engineer 775, I have the early generation models with a green circuit boards. He claims that this is the problem and Sol-Ark should fix it/replace. Therefore I have gone back-and-forth with Sol-Ark trying to get a resolution and so far the only resolution they offer is sending some sort of transformer and I emailed asking more information about this transformer and have yet to get a response.
I have heard about those older Green boards and some issues with overloads but not in with loads this light. Maybe you should approach Engineer775 and ask him how much would it cost for the boards to be upgraded. It may not be expensive. I think Sol-Ark does not want to set any precedence by sending out a free board and then having every other older model owner asking for one even if they don't need it.

I would first get those batteries in, as I think that will solve the problem.

Lol thats funny because he just happened to do a SolarEdge Install video yesterday.
That was not a recent Solar Edge installation. That was an old installation he was repairing from a lighting strike

Last edited:
That waste not a recent Solar Edge installation. That was an old installation he was repairing from a lighting strike
He changed the inverter to a newer model according to what he said.
Edit: Well on a replay he did not change it but it seems another tech just mounted a new one on the wall and the guy never finished wiring it up.

Last edited:
That might be your problem right there. You have 11Kwh of AGM battery power on two 12K Sol-Arks. They would not even let me put 5.2K of LifePO4 batteries on my one Sol-Ark 12K. They said it would be unreliable and really bad for the Battery. They insisted that I use at least 10K of Batteries to get a proper setup going and that was on system that is Grid Tied!
Until you get that 16S4P setup in place you might have to scale back on using to many heavy loads or your going to get DC power droops which will trip the Inverter.
Disagree. I’ve ran 15 amp loads (12” dewalt mitre saw & table saw) at lower SOC without tripping. 120 v flux core welder! The router that tripped is 5 amps,??

I think those older AGMs are letting you down.

I don't like dealing with Sol-Ark by email. As you said they do get back to you but it's at the end of the day or at night. The phone service is within minutes, so I really only use that.
Phone call backs aren’t any better for me personally.

If he is one of the new guys this is what happens. I had the same issue with a guy named Josh. He was actually the first person at Sol-Ark that was ever rude to me (in an email). Turns out that the new guys have to get certain things verified by the CS Manager and that can often take days due to his work load.

I have heard about those older Green boards and some issues with overloads but not in with loads this light. Maybe you should approach Engineer775 and ask him how much would it cost for the boards to be upgraded. It may not be expensive. I think Sol-Ark does not want to set any precedence by sending out a free board and then having every other older model owner asking for one even if they don't need it.
Sol-Ark & engineer775 said the green boards cannot be replaced in my units.
It’s only certain loads and the fact they are lite loads, points to Sol-Ark. Its seeing something it doesn’t like. Point & fact!

You have to pay for that upgrade $1000 last year when I was thinking about buyimg one, too rich for my blood
What *exactly* is SolArk 'EMP Hardending'? In the latest @Engineer775 I see a surge protector - but I have several Midnite Solar "Lightening Arrestors" - e.g. Surge Protectors like this - https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...lar-solar-surge-protection-device-600v-p9043/ - on the PV array wiring before it enters the house.

As far as I've been able to read, you need a faraday cage to "EMP Bomb Attack" protection - a 'surge protector' won't do anything.

Does SolArk have something more than surge protection?

Sol-Ark & engineer775 said the green boards cannot be replaced in my units.
It’s only certain loads and the fact they are lite loads, points to Sol-Ark. Its seeing something it doesn’t like. Point & fact!
High frequency Inverters are never going to like high Amperage Inductive loads like big saws or pumps that produce huge spiky power distortions. How well they handle it is dependent on many factors. You can buy a Saw that is 15A from one company and it works fine while one from another companies 15A model will shutdown your inverter. That is assuming you have other loads also running on a single 12k Inverter.

BTW your probably the first person that I have heard say that they had problems with phone calls and Sol-Ark.
I called them just yesterday about my issues with charging voltage and this new EG4 Battery I got. They answered the Tech support line in three rings. They Even Transferred me within 20 seconds over to a guy named David who is very knowledgeable about Batteries.

Last edited:
What *exactly* is SolArk 'EMP Hardending'? In the latest @Engineer775 I see a surge protector - but I have several Midnite Solar "Lightening Arrestors" - e.g. Surge Protectors like this - https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...lar-solar-surge-protection-device-600v-p9043/ - on the PV array wiring before it enters the house.

As far as I've been able to read, you need a faraday cage to "EMP Bomb Attack" protection - a 'surge protector' won't do anything.

Does SolArk have something more than surge protection?
From what I understand a normal Sol-Ark is EMP hardened but in order to get the fully EMP hardened one that has warranties etc against any kind of EMP damage you have to buy the EMP model. I am told that some of the circuit boards are different. You get a box with 60 surge protectors. I suspect they are just Ferrite rings to put on all the battery cables as well as units that need to be installed under the PV panels and also ones for all the AC wiring.

Shot a quick video to show how a small router shuts down my stacked Sol-Ark 12Ks. If you’re not familiar with the problem please read my previous posts in this thread.
This video shows the router starting up, video then switches to show the Sol-Ark screen to show watts, amp draw etc.. then Sol-Ark trips. The only items using power are 2 Sol-Arks, LED lights and then the router when I turn it on.
Please share your thoughts?

Last edited:
Shot a quick video to show how a small router shuts down my stacked Sol-Ark 12Ks. If you’re not familiar with the problem please read my previous posts in this thread.
This video shows the router starting up, video then switches to show the Sol-Ark screen to show watts, amp draw etc.. then Sol-Ark trips. The only items using power are 2 Sol-Arks, LED lights and then the router when I turn it on.

I wonder if that router is generating some kind of line noise (perhaps could be seen over an oscilloscope) that the Sol-Ark doesn't like. I wonder if you tried running the router through a noise suppressor to see if that could help alleviate the issue.

Example:

It would almost be nice to hook up an oscilloscope to the circuit and see how the router is affecting the sine wave (to get kind of a visual on it).

Does the sol-ark throw a fault code? If so what is it?

<edit> Just saw this latest post and not the earlier ones. So a couple observations

@Shawn Hayes

1 - I don't think it is your battery, AGM or not the battery level / % is good.
2 - The draw from L2 appears to be 300-400 (for one inverter) in the video which seems right for a router that size, typical range I believe is 5-8 amps so at 120v you are looking at under 1kw which is well within the unbalance phenomenon that the Sol-arks have

I have seen a couple videos that talk about poor or slow communication when there are multiple Sol-Arks connected. I would try removing one Sol-Ark (maybe just power it down) and see what happens since the draw in under 1kw on the one leg a single Sol-Ark should be fine. If it is then you have a communication problem between two inverters (not your problem but Sol-Arks)

good luck

Last edited:
My little 500W 12V Car Inverter would run that router. I suspect that he has a defective Sol-Ark inverter.
Either that or that Router is creating some serious kind of line noise.

According to engineer 775, I have the early generation models with a green circuit boards. He claims that this is the problem and Sol-Ark should fix it/replace. Therefore I have gone back-and-forth with Sol-Ark trying to get a resolution and so far the only resolution they offer is sending some sort of transformer and I emailed asking more information about this transformer and have yet to get a response.

@Shawn Hayes Did you buy the equipment for the install or did the installer, Eng775? If Eng then I believe it should be on his todo list and not yours. He would have a ton of more sway in making this right I believe.

Perhaps there is a DC component building up on the lines due to some sort of leakage from the AC->DC power supplies of the drills and routers.
I wonder if adding some small resistive load at DC ( incandescent light, coffee cup warmer, or even an oscillating fan) the DC component would bleed off? Maybe try the router experiment again?

Does the sol-ark throw a fault code? If so what is it?

<edit> Just saw this latest post and not the earlier ones. So a couple observations

@Shawn Hayes

1 - I don't think it is your battery, AGM or not the battery level / % is good.
2 - The draw from L2 appears to be 300-400 (for one inverter) in the video which seems right for a router that size, typical range I believe is 5-8 amps so at 120v you are looking at under 1kw which is well within the unbalance phenomenon that the Sol-arks have

I have seen a couple videos that talk about poor or slow communication when there are multiple Sol-Arks connected. I would try removing one Sol-Ark (maybe just power it down) and see what happens since the draw in under 1kw on the one leg a single Sol-Ark should be fine. If it is then you have a communication problem between two inverters (not your problem but Sol-Arks)

good luck
I want to say a quick thank you to you for your suggestions and everyone for their input on this problem. I will update you guys with a little more information as soon as I get a moment.
I purchased the first Sol-Ark on my own and then the second Sol-Ark was supplied by Eng775.

Engineer 775 it’s supposed to be talking to Sol-Ark trying to get something sorted out, but I haven’t heard from him for over a week so I’m not sure of the latest status there. And I will give pictures details and more information when I get time, but Sol-Ark sent me two transformers that are supposed to take care of this problem. However they’re not the typical transformers like you would see in the Solar Edge TX-5000 style but some little crappy Chinese made aftermarket transformers that I have to install a special 240 V outlet to plug these into, and then plug the router or whatever device throwing the faults into instead your normal 110 outlet.!!!
I have been dealing with one specific Sol-Ark technician, and ask him to give me the best explanation as to what is causing the problem. Here is his explanation I received an email:
Quote:
“Essentially, what occurs is that some smaller power tools will have a some kind of rectifier to go into a lower setting or such and because the Sol-Ark is pushing power to your tools, the power that may get rectified has no where to go but back to our Sol-Ark. This causes a big spike on one leg and throw these bus imbalances. These auto transformer help to reduce this as well as balancing this surge between both legs.

I hope this answers your question!”

I have not had time to deal with this issue as I am working on getting the rest of the house finished. Once everything is completely hooked up then I will know if my Sol-Ark’s will actually run the entire house without a problem. So far it’s only been small variable speed loads like certain drills, heat guns or this particular router, and a portable bandsaw.

Before I received the transformers from Sol-Ark, I asked the customer service rep to give me a little more information about what they would be sending as they had not given me any description of what I would be receiving? I requested that they send me a Solar Edge TX 5000 and they said they would not do that!
So when I ask about some information in regards to the transformers I would be receiving, here is the link that I received from the Sol-Ark technician.

Here is an email that shows this problem has been going on for a long time and Sol-Ark has known about it. If you note in the email text that I will post below, I am told that they will send me an auto transformer that they have in stock at their company. If you look at the photos that I post below as well, you will see that what I received is an Amazon package from Amazon! This did not come from Sol-Ark, it was sent to me via Amazon from Sol-Ark via a third-party company.
Here part of the emails I received during the ongoing discussion with Sol-Ark:
Quote:
“ I understand your frustrations and I want to help you as best as I can. We are more than happy to send you the auto-transformer we have in stock at our company free of charge and it work just as you intend the system to. We have been sending our customers these auto-transformers way before David Poz has and we know that these transformers will definitely help alleviate the situation”

Attachments

• 347B6DDA-CA7C-4985-A151-44B2EB150C3B.jpeg
    347B6DDA-CA7C-4985-A151-44B2EB150C3B.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2AE15DB4-F549-48F5-9470-7C458B63730B.jpeg
    2AE15DB4-F549-48F5-9470-7C458B63730B.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 8BB55566-E010-4039-9398-660FD22E556A.jpeg
    8BB55566-E010-4039-9398-660FD22E556A.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 9617C383-AEC9-4700-9C0F-C4B450146992.jpeg
    9617C383-AEC9-4700-9C0F-C4B450146992.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 14
@Shawn Hayes That is BS..! How the hell are those transformers even production line acceptable for a permanent solution..?.? Completely at a loss of words... I would send these back ASAP. Sorry you are dealing with this crap not sure what to offer outside of forum support and possibly a suggestion of dumping the Sol-Arks if you are planning on truly being off grid and getting something else that would be a fraction of the cost. I know it is a touchy subject but the recent video from SS on how to leverage the Growatt 5000 and a transformer in a combiner panel 1st might be a good alternative (assuming offgrid) and in the end save you some $$ if you sell the 12ks and wire yourself.

@Shawn Hayes That is BS..! How the hell are those transformers even production line acceptable for a permanent solution..?.? Completely at a loss of words... I would send these back ASAP. Sorry you are dealing with this crap not sure what to offer outside of forum support and possibly a suggestion of dumping the Sol-Arks if you are planning on truly being off grid and getting something else that would be a fraction of the cost. I know it is a touchy subject but the recent video from SS on how to leverage the Growatt 5000 and a transformer in a combiner panel 1st might be a good alternative (assuming offgrid) and in the end save you some $$ if you sell the 12ks and wire yourself.
Yeah it’s a little aggravating that a small load like that will trip the inverter. Since I’ve last posted we have got a little more accomplished and actually have my Fujitsu mini split up and running. So now we have a little heat when we need it. It was funny I cranked the heat up to 80° one day to see how the inverters would handle it. It was pulling a little over 6500 watts with no problem. However I think it’s extremely disappointing that a 5 1/2 amp router will shut the system down.
At this point with Sol-Ark not willing to do anything, I’m going to see how these inverters will run my entire house once it’s fully operational. We have all of our lights and outlets working with no problems, our mini split is working fine, so it’s just a matter of time before we install the rest of the appliances to get a true test of the system.
Only then will I know if Sol-Ark can get the job done or if I need to pursue legal action or some other inverters....
Engineer 775 told me he was going to talk to Sol-Ark directly to see if he could get anything done. That’s been weeks ago, and I have reached out to him a couple times via text messages to see if he’s gotten anywhere and at least my last checking in with him, nothing, so I assume he is no help either. He has been somewhat of a disappointment when it comes to the follow up service side even though he is a good installer.

Yeah it’s a little aggravating that a small load like that will trip the inverter. Since I’ve last posted we have got a little more accomplished and actually have my Fujitsu mini split up and running. So now we have a little heat when we need it. It was funny I cranked the heat up to 80° one day to see how the inverters would handle it. It was pulling a little over 6500 watts with no problem. However I think it’s extremely disappointing that a 5 1/2 amp router will shut the system down.
At this point with Sol-Ark not willing to do anything, I’m going to see how these inverters will run my entire house once it’s fully operational. We have all of our lights and outlets working with no problems, our mini split is working fine, so it’s just a matter of time before we install the rest of the appliances to get a true test of the system.
Only then will I know if Sol-Ark can get the job done or if I need to pursue legal action or some other inverters....
Engineer 775 told me he was going to talk to Sol-Ark directly to see if he could get anything done. That’s been weeks ago, and I have reached out to him a couple times via text messages to see if he’s gotten anywhere and at least my last checking in with him, nothing, so I assume he is no help either. He has been somewhat of a disappointment when it comes to the follow up service side even though he is a good installer.
Shawn, after going back and forth between Sol-Ark and the vendor who sent me the 59V Sol-Ark 12K, I was trying to sell earlier, the vendor finally had me return the unit and they sent me a new outdoor Sol-Ark 12k 63V unit for a replacement. But, after David Poz, who like us thought that Sol-Ark was the best you could have, found out that his Growatt stackable system was superior to the Sol-Ark 12K in off-grid applications at a third of the cost, I am upset.

I have been upset with some of the so-called engineers at Sol-Ark since I spoke to the first one right after they came out with the 63V 12K model (never knew at that time they had made a 59V model). They argued with me that the Sol-Ark 12K 63V model could not work on lithium batteries. They were so sold on their own L/A batteries that they couldn't see beyond them. I don't think that they would still be in business now without a change in their philosophy. In my arguments to them regarding the 59V model I received, they had included the 63V manual inside for my installation instructions. This would have lessened the output of my batteries demonstrably.

So, I don't have any faith in Sol-Ark anymore and it is sad because I talked so many others into buying them. They are very DIY friendly but it comes at a huge cost. Growatt information wasn't available and it still has to prove itself in longevity.
I still think that we are going to need auto transformers, due to the inability of Sol-Ark to correct the problem in their software. How you can make them EMP hardened is something I can't help you with

Before I received the transformers from Sol-Ark, I asked the customer service rep to give me a little more information about what they would be sending as they had not given me any description of what I would be receiving? I requested that they send me a Solar Edge TX 5000 and they said they would not do that!
So when I ask about some information in regards to the transformers I would be receiving, here is the link that I received from the Sol-Ark technician.

Here is an email that shows this problem has been going on for a long time and Sol-Ark has known about it. If you note in the email text that I will post below, I am told that they will send me an auto transformer that they have in stock at their company. If you look at the photos that I post below as well, you will see that what I received is an Amazon package from Amazon! This did not come from Sol-Ark, it was sent to me via Amazon from Sol-Ark via a third-party company.
Here part of the emails I received during the ongoing discussion with Sol-Ark:
Quote:
“ I understand your frustrations and I want to help you as best as I can. We are more than happy to send you the auto-transformer we have in stock at our company free of charge and it work just as you intend the system to. We have been sending our customers these auto-transformers way before David Poz has and we know that these transformers will definitely help alleviate the situation”
So they want you to jerry rig a soulution to use your tools with $14k worth of inverters? Thats wild...and unfortunate! They have access to Chinese manufacturing how is it they dont have thier own autotransformer?

Back