diy solar

diy solar

Solar off grid cost

Lot depends on how much power you need? Are you able to get by without the use of Air conditioning? Can you use evaporative cooling? Can you rely on propane or natural gas for heating, cooking, water heating, clothing dryer. If you can eliminate all the high-power devices that reduces the size of your solar system by a lot.
Heating will be just fire wood cooking mostly propane cooling electric mini split. We are actually about to start a new home building it to match needs

I posted JA JAM54S30-410 panels for $0.099/W a little while ago.

Two Pallets came out to be ~$0.21/W with shipping.
Link was a little broken.

The $0.17/watt was a better deal. And shipped right to my commercial address. If I knew I was getting twice the mounts I needed, used mounts on Marketplace, I would have ordered 2 pallets.

When spitballing numbers with the off grid cabin crowd (part time use), i often use the baseline of inverter watts time 2 in dollars. This "generally" gets pretty close. Example- 4000watt inverter = $8k complete system by the time its installed. Now this is very rough numbers with tons of variables but it gets decent equipment and modest battery storage and modest panels on a pole mount.

Obviously you can piece together a system off Amazon for wayyyy less and you can go crazy with tier 1 stuff and blow the budget out of the water. Ive just found this to be the happy medium.

Link was a little broken.

The $0.17/watt was a better deal. And shipped right to my commercial address. If I knew I was getting twice the mounts I needed, used mounts on Marketplace, I would have ordered 2 pallets.
For the Ne Solar 370W?

At 3.5% less efficiency and higher Temp. Coefficient.

Then there is this: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ne-solar-370w-solar-panel-review.76546/page-2

Probably a good reason those ended up at Inxeption vs. panels from JA Solar.
We shall find out once I get these installed this summer. I have my current array of 16 JA Solar 530W non bifacial panels and will be installing 20 NE Solar 370W panels about 70 feet away. Both will be at same tilt angle for the season and no shading at peak sun.

As for that thread, some have reported full output from Inxeption sourced panels while one member purchased from SS and had shipping damage.

We shall find out once I get these installed this summer. I have my current array of 16 JA Solar 530W non bifacial panels and will be installing 20 NE Solar 370W panels about 70 feet away. Both will be at same tilt angle for the season and no shading at peak sun.

As for that thread, some have reported full output from Inxeption sourced panels while one member purchased from SS and had shipping damage.
Yup. Full output here multiple times.

Ps I have a Victron MPPT hooked up with 2 of them so I can compare to the 14 on the SRNE mppt.... Lots of sun in the forecast this weekend.

I have some REC 400aa panels. They are great so far.

Would be a good idea to make sure they work well with your inverter. Especially if you want to maximize the input. Some panels amperage or VOC will not work well since you have max voltage and amperage ratings on the inverter.

I wouldn’t/didn’t. But that’s still a reasonable price for a respected brand.

Only my opinion, that's to much to pay when buying by the pallet...

I am curious what you guys think of this.

https://a1solarstore.com/rec-360w-solar-panel-120-cell-rec360np2-clearance.html

REC360NP2 pallet of 33 @ $4,158. USD
It is obviously more per watt but from what I have read REC is a well respected brand. Pallet of 33 panels is $.35/w

Would you pay a little more for a panel like this?
I cant say enough good about REC solar panels. I especially like the additional bars on the back side for reinforcement. The panels dont flex when used on a pole mount or loaded up with snow.

I cant say enough good about REC solar panels. I especially like the additional bars on the back side for reinforcement. The panels dont flex when used on a pole mount or loaded up with snow.
Yeah, I saw the front load rating is 146lbs/sf or 7,000Pa. I think that is higher than any of the panels I have looked at so far. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow. I have a large barn and that roof is only rated for 80lbs/sf of load.

Back