diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel for taylor dunn cart/golf cart

hey
Thanks for info .Just to make sure , so it will charge my 36v battery .

So if i get this one and charge controller would i connect the cart terminals directly to batteres or would i connect to the load on the charge controller ?

Thanks again for the help

Some solar charge controllers have a battery port (+/-) and a load port (+/-). If you're charging the batteries then you want to connect the solar charge controller's battery port to the batteries. If you have a shunt, then the solar charge controller should connect to the load side of the shunt.

The usual rule is that a solar charge controller needs 5 volts over the battery voltage to begin charging. After that, it need 1 volt over the battery voltage to continue charging. That's what the Victron solar charge controllers go by. I've heard some other brands do the same. But you should verify that your solar charge controller has the same specs.

Hey
Thanks for the reply , so it would better if i find a solar panel with a vmpp of 45v or more so it's 42 v at normale conditions . or if i got 3 17 100w solar panels it wouldbe 51v at least .

Thanks

The higher the voltage of the panel, the more likely it will be that the solar charge controller can begin the charge. My 12 volt system uses a 2S panel bank that produces just under 80 volts. No question I can start charging.

Hello
Quick question: one of my batteries terminals are really damaged . Can i use for the moment then replace it when i can ?
Thanks
Lead terminals are incredibly easy to fix. Grab a few wheel weights, or unload the shot from a few lead shot shells, and put a small tube around the terminal, melt the lead outside with an old pan, it's pretty easy to do with a propane torch, then pour the lead in the tube, Wait a second for it to cool, and then pop the tube off. File off the rough edges, and you should be good to go.

FYI, wheel weights are a slightly different material than pure lead, I don't know about the conductivity differences, but it might be worth looking up. I know there's a difference between shooting with wheel weight cast lead or pure lead, if I'm not mistaken, the wheel weights have an additive to make them harder, and they may be slightly harder to cast into the desired shape.

Hey
Sorry for late reply .
So originaly I was planning to get 3 100w 12v solar panels like you said and a 36v solar charge controller to charge my batteries but looking at costs of solar panels and controllers , it would be minium 250 euros for the setup which is a good price but too much for the moment . what do you guys think if i got one 425w 24v (42.2 vmp) solar panel and a solar charge booster from 24v to 36v for the moment then get another one of those 425w panels next year then i'll have 84v 10.6 a and 850 watts with an mppt charge controller .

With the booster controller (calculations just with gathered info. could be wrong ) the voltage will be 1.3x42= 54v and amp 10.61/3=3.5a
10.61-3.5=6.5a
So with the booster i'll have enough volatge to charge it and same amount of amps as the sunpower solar panel .

What do you guys think about mount a wind turbine to it ?and take it down when driving ?

Thanks

The highest voltage you would charge that 36v pack to would be something around 43v so since your VOC is still comfortably above that, you can use those panels with a PWM charge controller and they will only lose some efficiency as the battery is very nearly full and near or above the Vmp of the panels. I doubt the 50voc is enough to let a mppt controller raise the batteries to full except perhaps in perfect conditions, because as soon as the mppt starts pulling current from the panels the panel voltage will drop quickly to something too close to ~43v, to do any useful dc-dc conversion with, so it would essentially function as PWM even if it were to continue charging at all.

So, yes, mostly. I would skip the cost of an mppt given that your Voc and Vmp are close enough to the battery bank voltage range that you could spend 3-5x more on an mppt just to get 15% better results. Just my opinion.

Back