diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel for taylor dunn cart/golf cart

hey
Cool thanks for the reply will start looking at second hand ones yhen . Could i mount a wind turbine to my cart to charge it in the winter ? my cart is rated at 400a but the batteries i was looking at (hankook 12v 800a 110ah 80euros) are 800a . does that matter cause it's going to draw the amps ?
Thanks

The actual amp draw from the batteries while using the cart is highly variable based upon the exact conditions. It would be highest when flooring it from a stop, higher when going uphill or heavily loaded, and then it would taper off as the cart's speed increases. There's no guarantee it would EVER pull 400a. Maybe if you added 1000lbs over the rear end to increase traction so the tires wouldn't spin, and then tied it to a tree or post, then MAYBE it would pull 400a. But more than likely that is just a max rating of either the motor controller or the motor, while in use the actual number never even gets close to that.

The 800a rating on the batteries is probably referring to cranking amps. There can be different cranking amp ratings for different temperatures. Here in USA we have cranking amps @ 32f and cold cranking amps @0f. In France i am not exactly sure under what conditions the 800a rating was arrived at, but that is a very short 'burst' type of rating and is generally rated as 'battery can output this many amps before dropping to 7.2v'. This is a somewhat useless rating in reality because many of the things you could hook that battery to would fault out and stop working if voltage actually did drop to 7.2 (aka 28.8v in a 48v system), INCLUDING a car! So it's a bit of a bullshit rating, but it does correlate/track pretty consistently with battery size and type, so you can be pretty sure that a higher rated battery really does do better than a lower one. Its just that it's mostly because it's bigger and heavier, not because it's built to any higher standard. They are pretty interchangeable between flooded lead acid starter batteries. If it weighs more it does more. In general a car-type starter battery is just fine in an electric cart because the average current in the cart is far less than the starter motor current in a car, and peak current in the cart is probably less than or maybe equal to the cranking current from a car, so you're really only concerned about ah capacity and cycle life vs cost.

Hey
Thanks for your reply . sounds good ,so if i got 800amp leisure batteries then i would get more range out of it than my 400amp batteries ?.
what do you think of the price and power of these batterie , thinking of getting 3 .;https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/26031189278.
my cart does 24 miles at 240ah so probably get about 10 miles of range .

Thanks

so if i got 800amp leisure batteries then i would get more range out of it than my 400amp batteries
If they are bigger and weigh more then almost definitely yes. A cranking amps rating is not a capacity rating but it correlates well enough that that is a fairly safe conclusion to make.

what do you think of the price and power of these batterie , thinking of getting 3 .;https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/26031189278.
my cart does 24 miles at 240ah so probably get about 10 miles of range .
Well, dollar per amp-hour those seem reasonably priced for a sealed lead acid. I'm not very familiar with 'calcium' lead acid batteries but the brief search i just did about it suggests they may have slightly different charging voltage setpoints than 'regular' sealed lead acid so i would definitely investigate that so you can setup your charge source properly.

Hey
Cool,i've had look onthe internet all i can find is that i need a higher charging voltage to charge them 16-18 volts so solar panels are will do fine .
The original batteries where 6 6v 217ah 400a batteries so 36v 400a 217ah but if i get these hankook ones which are 12v 110ah 800a will it go more range ,the same range or less because ah is lower but amps is higher ?

found these:https://www.amazon.fr/KESSER®-Panne...mzn1.fos.49fccda8-a887-4188-817b-b9a64bb30e43
which are reasonable price but for winter could i attache a wind turbine on as well ?

Thanks

Hey
Cool,i've had look onthe internet all i can find is that i need a higher charging voltage to charge them 16-18 volts so solar panels are will do fine .
The original batteries where 6 6v 217ah 400a batteries so 36v 400a 217ah but if i get these hankook ones which are 12v 110ah 800a will it go more range ,the same range or less because ah is lower but amps is higher ?

found these:https://www.amazon.fr/KESSER®-Panne...mzn1.fos.49fccda8-a887-4188-817b-b9a64bb30e43
which are reasonable price but for winter could i attache a wind turbine on as well ?

Thanks
Ah is the key datapoint.
Your old 217Ah batteries are about double the capacity of the new 110Ah ones.

Batteries in series don't add Ah.
So, total Ah for all batteries in series is the listed Ah on one battery.
I wouldn't use unmatched batteries in series... the bigger one will throw off the charging, and you will blow out or kill the others...
Your 100% right but there is more to it than that in my opinion.

12v 100ah battery = 100ah

12v 100ah battery + 12v 100ah battery = 100ah

BUT

12v 100ah battery runs imaginary inverter at x amounts for 1 hr.

24v in series of the same batteries in a 24v inverter runs it for 2 hours.

Made up numbers but very similar to what I experienced when going 24 volts at my old home since upping voltage used to feed an inverter = higher efficiency at least from my results.

Using a runtime calculator shows this :

12v inverter making 2000 watts of power = .47 hours run time.

24v inverter making 2000 watts of power = .93 hours run time.

So series kind of ups the AH in my opinion.

12v 100ah battery + 12v 100ah battery = 100ah . In series you get 24 volts @ 100 ah. In parallel you get 12 volts @ 200 ah
I was replying to him saying in series AH doesn't go up. Which is correct but your going up in inverter voltage so technically your getting more AH out of them.

I was replying to him saying in series AH doesn't go up. Which is correct but your going up in inverter voltage so technically your getting more AH out of them.
No.
You are getting same BATTERY amp hours.
But you are getting far more Watt hours, so more runtime... and more load Amp hours.

Hey guys
Thanks for th replys . so i won't get more range but i'll get the same amount of wh . cool , what do you guys think of this solar panel it says 24v but the normale voltage is 41v so 5 volt higher than the batteries so it might work :https://allo.solar/panneau-solaire-420w-cadre-noir-mono-vertex-s-trinasolar.html

what do think about putting a wind turbine on it for winter?

Thaks

The link is broken so I can't see the specs. Regardless you need more than one panel. Long story but that panel is rated 24 volts for a reason. Either find a 96 cell panel like a Sunpower 327 watt model or two panels and an MPPT charge controller capable of charging a 36 volt battery. Actually you need the controller with either panel setup.

Hey
Sorry for bothering you but i have found two solar panels that look good .
tha canadien solar panel says it has a voc of 36v . does that mean maximum voltage or nominal votage ?

Canadian Solar CS6R-410MS Solar Panel 410W Black Frame

<p>For over two decades, Canadian Solar have strived to make the earth a better and cleaner place by harnessing the power of the sun for energy. Since their inception, Canadian Solar have grown into one of the world’s largest solar photovoltaic producers and energy solutions providers, as well...
www.tradesparky.com
www.tradesparky.com
this trina sun panel says it has a maximum voltage of 42.2 volts , would it work for 36v if it's only 42.2 v and not more ?

Trina Vertex TSM-425W DE09R.08 Solar Panel 425W Module

<p>Since forming in 1997, Trina Solar has developed into a world leader in solar technology and manufacturing. Through constant innovation, Trina Solar leads the way in smart solar energy solutions for a net-zero future. </p> <p ><o:p></o:p> </p> <p >The Trina...
www.tradesparky.com
www.tradesparky.com
Thanks

Hey
tha canadien solar panel says it has a voc of 36v . does that mean maximum voltage or nominal votage ?

<p>For over two decades, Canadian Solar have strived to make the earth a better and cleaner place by harnessing the power of the sun for energy. Since their inception, Canadian Solar have grown into one of the world’s largest solar photovoltaic producers and energy solutions providers, as well...
www.tradesparky.com
www.tradesparky.com
this trina sun panel says it has a maximum voltage of 42.2 volts , would it work for 36v if it's only 42.2 v and not more ?

<p>Since forming in 1997, Trina Solar has developed into a world leader in solar technology and manufacturing. Through constant innovation, Trina Solar leads the way in smart solar energy solutions for a net-zero future. </p> <p ><o:p></o:p> </p> <p >The Trina...
www.tradesparky.com
www.tradesparky.com
Thanks

No you would need two.

Hey

www.tradesparky.com
www.tradesparky.com

www.tradesparky.com
www.tradesparky.com
Thanks
VOC means highest voltage without load at 25C. It will be higher below 25C.

VMP is the nominal voltage under load.

Back