diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel output problem

shingiriro

Kindly help! My 330watts x 4 solar array is recording average output of 300 to 360watts on the solar charge controller. There are rare times (usually mid day) that it reaches 400 to 480 watts, and a current of 18 to 22 amps ( and the controller's fan starts working), in summer. In winter, the average is 220watts and the maximum is 360watts.

Is this ok? I was expecting the controller to record above 900 watts solar output after factoring in 30% or so loss. I am in the subtropical region (Southern Africa) where there is plenty of sunlight.

The panels are connected two in series and then parallel. The charge controller is a Must mppt PC1800, 60amps. This is a 24v system.

What size and length are your wires? All wiring needs to limit voltage drop, and be able to handle the loads. The PV wire size to the scc, the wire feeding the batteries, and the wires from the batteries to the loads. What are the specs on your panels?

What type and capacity are your batteries?
What is the battery SOC and terminal voltage at midday?
Have you tested the panel strings for OC voltage and SC current?

Last edited:
Thanks for response. Lfeli 200ah 24v lifepo4. Soc 30%, 25.6-8 volts. I tested the panels' open cv and current and it is as the panels' specifications : 36.8v and 11v. Could it be the roof? It is slightly to the west.

Thanks for response. Lfeli 200ah 24v lifepo4. Soc 30%, 25.6-8 volts. I tested the panels' open cv and current and it is as the panels' specifications : 36.8v and 11v. Could it be the roof? It is slightly to the west
What size and length are your wires? All wiring needs to limit voltage drop, and be able to handle the loads. The PV wire size to the scc, the wire feeding the batteries, and the wires from the batteries to the loads. What are the specs on your panels?
The wires are 4mm2 thick. Wires from panel to charge controller are 6m long. The wires from scc to battery are 1,5m long. Please find attached the panel specs:

Attachments

• IMG_20230609_071946_325.jpg
    IMG_20230609_071946_325.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 4
Back