diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel output?

jfm30204

I just bought a cheap 100w portable solar panel and was, naturally, suspicious of the true output. the size seemed okay, based upon that for other "more legitimate" panels on Amazon. So I discharged my Jackery Explorer 300 a bit and hooked it up to the panel. With noon-day sun at the optimal angle to the panel, the max output was 52 watts. Then I hooked it up to the same brand power station that was almost completely discharged, and it also showed 52 watts. Is it possible that the controller in these units are restricting the input to 52 watts, or is it more likely that the panel is not up to snuff?

I just bought a cheap 100w portable solar panel and was, naturally, suspicious of the true output. the size seemed okay, based upon that for other "more legitimate" panels on Amazon. So I discharged my Jackery Explorer 300 a bit and hooked it up to the panel. With noon-day sun at the optimal angle to the panel, the max output was 52 watts. Then I hooked it up to the same brand power station that was almost completely discharged, and it also showed 52 watts. Is it possible that the controller in these units are restricting the input to 52 watts, or is it more likely that the panel is not up to snuff?
The latter..
A 100 watt panel will never reach that irl..
70-80 % is best what one should hope for

Without knowing which portable panel it is, the efficiency, nor its size, it is hard to say if you can trust the watt ratings. Likely not for many portable panels out there.

The latter..
A 100 watt panel will never reach that irl..
70-80 % is best what one should hope for

I wouldn't say that's accurate... I get 100 percent output from my panels (sometimes more), and Will Prowse seems to think that's pretty normal:

I wouldn't say that's accurate... I get 100 percent output from my panels (sometimes more), and Will Prowse seems to think that's pretty normal:

Yet, not for portable panels, or low quality panels

The Jackery limits the amount of current coming in. I do not recall what that limit is but I believe that the manual mentions this.

Those small portable power banks do have a max current limit. I have a Jackery and a Rockpals. I do recall the limit to be around 50 watts. I remember one of them was limited to around 35W. These are the small 300W power banks about the size of a toaster.

Those small portable power banks do have a max current limit. I have a Jackery and a Rockpals. I do recall the limit to be around 50 watts. I remember one of them was limited to around 35W. These are the small 300W power banks about the size of a toaster.
isn't the voltage the most crucial constraint? It seems like the current isn't the primary factor, right?

Back