diy solar

diy solar

Solar power is not just for rich people.

This is my Dometic, I've owned it since 2017. I removed the backseat of the extended cab pickup and made a platform for it to sit on. I have a cord hardwired from camper electrical system to the truck cab, just plug the truck into the camper so I run off my solar system and not the truck starting batteries. https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/coolers/electric-coolers/dometic-cfx-95dzw-145458

We quit using the 3 way fridge, at some point I'll probably pull it out and install a DC compressor model. Not in a hurry, RV DC fridges haven't readily adopted inverter technology.

Reactions: D71
That dometic you have is similar to the one that friends use and like.

The Unique Appliance brand of refrigerators seem interesting but are expensive around $2300 for ~14 cu ft Great specs. But smaller. offered - 24vdc.They are reported as made in Canada.
quick search

The LG LTCS20020 around 20 cubic feet for ~ $700 seems very affordable for the specs. It is suppose to be inverter technology 120vac.
The 387 kw a year is impressive for a 120vac refrigerator figure. Not as good as specs for Unique dc but more space, 1/3 price cheaper, and 120vac.

This is largest dc powered refrigerator can find but never heard of this brand Kodiak 17.2 cu ft no idea where it is made.
  • Daily Power Consumption (24hrs) Tested at 70F Ambient: 749Wh, 29.3Ah
    w/Refrigerator Temp @ 36F, Freezer Temp 0F with no door openings
  • Daily Power Consumption (24hrs) Tested at 78F Ambient: 1004Wh, 39.4 Ah
    w/Refrigerator Temp @ 36F, Freezer Temp 0F with no door openings
The external temp difference play a big role for energy consumed. The kodiak is around $1099 and 12vdc to 120vac adapter is around $150.00 if a person wanted use 120vac. The consumption will no doubt go up. The shipping is high around $500-$600.

this guy offers complete RICH branded solar panels batteries and various refrigerators Again high priced shipping. his complete systems are expensive in my opinion.

title of this thread:
”Solar power is not just for rich people.” ?? we want to miser every penny when checking ROI…don’t we? I can’t bring myself to add up total for my emergency system as it is a nickel - dime thing like doing anything else. if sat down and did a complete pricing beforehand might never have done it. About like building custom motorcycle everything is $100 or more for each piece…. Not really just seems that way. ?

My Conclusion: I don’t think the Unique refrigerator is worth 3x price of LG model or 2x price of Kodiak. Do you? The kodiak is larger and cheaper then the Unique Appliance. The LG is the largest at 20 cu ft and cheapest initial purchase ~$700 price but it is 120vac which needs inverter. I certainly see off grid wattage consumption going way up unless home climate temps are controlled for refrigerator location with air conditioning. That off grid guy on youtube seems to love his lg refrigerator.

I think we need to see more specific made solar dc appliances. ….. in the future.

This Will Prowse video about EG4 solar dc air conditioner is interesting:

this system is actually affordable compared to what most mini splits are selling for and the refrigerators are more efficient if the indoor temp is cooler. Ppl love to be comfortable Do you know anyone that actually likes to sit around and sweat all the time? Hahaa

My grid electric bill use to be $180-$190 a month. My grid electric bill last month was $84.00 which is typical now. I have made several improvements to save power biggest was dumping the electric water heater for a Rinnai tankless propane water heater. Sadly if used no electricity from grid and still hooked up to my grid the bill would still be around $40 per the electric company associate fees. ~$40 per month is cost of just being hooked up. There is little to no money from feeding back into the grid system here So no ROI if went all in.

diy solar

diy solar
Back