diy solar

diy solar

Solar power is not just for rich people.

I have great respect for those that successfully use the very low cost equipment. I seem to be very bad at it with nothing but headaches and troubles.

I'm glad you're well healed despite not having access to health care.
Or perhaps because of it?

I try to avoid the doctor (despite having a plan through work). Those guys make people sick.

I try to avoid the doctor (despite having a plan through work).
That works great until it doesn't and you're past the "we can fix it" stage. To each his or her own though.
To me, we're all automobiles that will eventually need maintenance in new parts.

That works great until it doesn't and you're past the "we can fix it" stage. To each his or her own though.
To me, we're all automobiles that will eventually need maintenance in new parts.

Do you trust your mechanic to tell you what your car needs?
Do you trust your doctor to tell you what your body needs?

Did your mechanic get his education paid for by STP and other snake oil salesmen?
Did your doctor ever go over your diet in detail and make recommendations? Did he discuss chemical exposure?

I do agree that having oil analyzed to determine what is wearing out seems like a good idea (although I'm not doing it for my vehicles.)
But your doctor probably doesn't order or even know about half the things he could be looking for. And once again, does he discuss diet and lifestyle changes to get your chemistry in order? Or does he offer pharmacuticals to let you continue your present lifestyle?

If we really wanted to improve people, government wouldn't subsidize purchasing systems. What it would do instead is subsidize people to train homeowners how to install their own systems and encourage loans for equipment only without professional installation.

This will never happen because
1) Government doesn't want independent people
2) Government wants people in debt to continue the fractional banking ponzi scheme
3) Government can't provide kickbacks to their lobbyists by helping their constituents.
4) Government is far more interested in preventing self education via licensing and regulations so it can create monopolies that then need to hire lobbyists to sustain their monopoly.

Do you trust your mechanic to tell you what your car needs?
Depends. Generally the independent mechanics that specialize I trust. Trust is earned.
I can tell you that both Ford and RAM have tried to sell me things that my car doesn't need. Quite regularly. Hell, one even showed me dirty parts that didn't come from my car.

Do you trust your doctor to tell you what your body needs?
Did your mechanic get his education paid for by STP and other snake oil salesmen?
Did your doctor ever go over your diet in detail and make recommendations? Did he discuss chemical exposure?
I do agree that having oil analyzed to determine what is wearing out seems like a good idea (although I'm not doing it for my vehicles.)
But your doctor probably doesn't order or even know about half the things he could be looking for. And once again, does he discuss diet and lifestyle changes to get your chemistry in order? Or does he offer pharmacuticals to let you continue your present lifestyle?

I'm involved in a recreational activity that requires me to see a doctor. No doctor = no hobby.
And ANY med I get put on has to be approved by the federal government for use in said activity, even if I don't take it regularly. Trust me, it's FAR better not to take any mediation so you don't get tangled up in the approval process. It's so bad that many people involved in this stuff don't report issues to their MD.

But yes, my non-activity general practitioner, the FIRST thing he's always told me is fix your diet, increase exercise, and hit an "ideal" weight.

Your point is taken though, as most Americans (as a whole statistically) are overweight, don't exercise, and want a solution in a pill. That's a choice, not an MD problem.

Depends. Generally the independent mechanics that specialize I trust. Trust is earned.
I can tell you that both Ford and RAM have tried to sell me things that my car doesn't need. Quite regularly. Hell, one even showed me dirty parts that didn't come from my car.

I'm involved in a recreational activity that requires me to see a doctor. No doctor = no hobby.
And ANY med I get put on has to be approved by the federal government for use in said activity, even if I don't take it regularly. Trust me, it's FAR better not to take any mediation so you don't get tangled up in the approval process. It's so bad that many people involved in this stuff don't report issues to their MD.

But yes, my non-activity general practitioner, the FIRST thing he's always told me is fix your diet, increase exercise, and hit an "ideal" weight.

Your point is taken though, as most Americans (as a whole statistically) are overweight, don't exercise, and want a solution in a pill. That's a choice, not an MD problem.
Merchant mariner here, I feel your pain every time I have to beg the Coast Guard permission to do my job. ?

But, back to the OP...

If we really wanted to improve people, government wouldn't subsidize purchasing systems. What it would do instead is subsidize people to train homeowners how to install their own systems and encourage loans for equipment only without professional installation.

This will never happen because
1) Government doesn't want independent people
2) Government wants people in debt to continue the fractional banking ponzi scheme
3) Government can't provide kickbacks to their lobbyists by helping their constituents.
4) Government is far more interested in preventing self education via licensing and regulations so it can create monopolies that then need to hire lobbyists to sustain their monopoly.

I think points 2, 3, 4 could still be valid training people to install their own solar systems. The lobbyists would just be different lobbyists, companies would adapt and lobby for the products they are now selling to you directly instead.

Same dollars can install 3x as much PV capacity at utility scale as rooftop (assuming paid labor in both cases.)
An insignificant fraction of total residential PV install will ever be done by the homeowner. The skills needed are more varied and the safety risks greater than many modest DIY projects.

Maybe the push for batteries at the homes is meant as a hidden tax to subsidize PG&E having a stable system. Rates have gone up a lot, but paying for the needed infrastructure would not be popular. Hey, do you think the push for electrification is meant to cause grid failures, so citizens start clamoring for improvements? (Kind of like never fixing the potholes that you actually care about.)

My Grandpa left me, his favorite nephew*, a rusty old roll of it in his Will. Back in his days Solar power was mostly used to warm up after a cold night. He would be amazed that you could use it to make electricity.

* My family is complicated.
Stupid plastic coat hangers are takin' over. Wire coat hangers are my bailing wire substitute.

I took was born in Seattle but by age 5 lived in the south. Boeing space program caused it!

In later 80s The Air Force got me to Tacoma. Not enough sunshine for a Texan used to brain baking temperature. Here I live, solar panels basking in the sun.

My times in Germany and Alaska did seem to be similar climates. But I'd still do solar

Last edited:
I think points 2, 3, 4 could still be valid training people to install their own solar systems. The lobbyists would just be different lobbyists, companies would adapt and lobby for the products they are now selling to you directly instead.
I don't blame "the government".. Well, unless I lived in New Jersey where I can't even pump my own gas. I blame the "industry" that regulates these trades. HVAC, Plumbing, electricity - sure, we need a standard code for work and we need people that have proven that they have the required knowledge and education to do those jobs.

Know how long it would take me to become a plumber? 8,000 hours. Yep. 8k hours in my state. Apparently plumbing is really hard as you can practice in the mental health field with only 2,000 hours.

Electrician? 7-8000 hours to journeyman.

What happens around here is someone makes "master" and never leaves the office again. It's a big ponzi scheme. At least IMHO. It's not the government. It's in the industry. Bunch of people semi-taught just working under someone's license.

If I know NEC, can demonstrate practical knowledge, can pass the exam, and have a 4-year college degree in the electrical field, I think I should get some credits towards my hours.

I wonder how many "signed off hours" are actually hours completed in the field doing work. My guess is that it varies substantially.

Maybe the push for batteries at the homes is meant as a hidden tax to subsidize PG&E having a stable system. Rates have gone up a lot, but paying for the needed infrastructure would not be popular. Hey, do you think the push for electrification is meant to cause grid failures, so citizens start clamoring for improvements? (Kind of like never fixing the potholes that you actually care about.)
It's the opposite. I have a PV system. Works great. Net metering got thrown out due to the political beliefs within our electrical co-op during one election cycle. People running the business have strong political beliefs and don't want to be "like California". The fail to recognize that with 1.7% of our members adopting PV solar, we are no where near California and they solved a problem that we don't have... And inverted the economics of 1.7% of their members, most of those members have investments of $20k or more.

The only way to work around a POC that drops net metering is battery and then meter out of those batteries to prevent pushing un-paid (or very low paid) power back to the grid.

That's how I ended up here.

Back