diy solar

diy solar

Solar production logging - what do folks use? (I have a Victron smart shunt and Epever 4215BN)

AlpineJoe

Given my less than ideal panel mounting situation (flat roof, shadows from power line, neighbor's hedges, etc), seeing what I produce throughout the day is going to be important so I can optimize what I have. I have an Epever 4215BN, and also bought a Victron 500A smart shunt but have yet to install it.

What would you folks recommend for monitoring solar production given what hardware I have? Ideally I'd want to see the last 24 hours, last week, last month, last year's worth of data - solar production and battery voltage.

Is there a thread on here that I should read up on?

Thanks!

Venus on a Raspberry Pi with a VE.Direct to USB cable - about $80 total. This would enable you to use Victron VRM.

That would allow you to track the shunt data at 1 minute intervals for six month. Unfortunately, you could not monitor the EPEVER data UNLESS you installed a second smartshunt configured as an energy meter.

Battery shunt would see everythign that goes in and out of the battery.

Energy meter would see everything that comes out of the MPPT regardless if it goes to battery or loads.

EPEVER may have a monitoring solution.

Solar Assistant can work with a smartshunt and maybe the EPEVER.

Back