diy solar

diy solar

source for 120v efficient refrigerators

I was hesitant about the cooler-style refrigerator mainly because of the price and its ability to provide power during a power outage. I'm so glad I bought the JP42 Pro RV Refrigerator now!! On an off-road trip, we left this cooler in the back of my hot Jeep all day, plugged into the Jackery 500 solar generator. Packed with beer, drinks, and snacks, it keeps everything at 34° perfectly with no problems.
Nice ice box. I gave up looking for a small inverter fridge for now. People are confusing so called energy star fridges for inverter compressor models which take efficiency up a couple of notches.

Which 27cu fridge did you get?
If you "Reply" to someone's post, you may have better luck getting a response. ;)

To add a different perspective; refrigerators are so much more efficient now than they were twenty years ago. I recently purchased a 27cu refer, inverter based, and it draws less energy than the 10cuft Sunfrost refer I owned years ago. No doubt there are more efficient ones available but this one I could pick up at a big box store and get extended warranty. Take a systems perspective, solar and batteries are getting so cheap that adding a panel or two is often easier than optimizing each and every load.
I'm curious which refer apctjb purchased too, and if it is still performing well.

To add a different perspective; refrigerators are so much more efficient now than they were twenty years ago. I recently purchased a 27cu refer, inverter based, and it draws less energy than the 10cuft Sunfrost refer I owned years ago. No doubt there are more efficient ones available but this one I could pick up at a big box store and get extended warranty. Take a systems perspective, solar and batteries are getting so cheap that adding a panel or two is often easier than optimizing each and every load.
We were curious what 27cu foot fridge you purchased and how well its holding up.

Have you looked into any SunDanzer products for off grid? I have both the DCF225 Freezer and DCR225 Fridge versions that I have been using for over 8 years. They are chest units without any fancy electronics to break down.... just good solid, well insulated performers. I paid about $1300 each for them back then and it was some of the best money spent. Currently they make a variety of sizes, including RV sized units.
Yeah they are foreign made (in Europe), but at least it isn't China ;)

Last edited:
Have you looked into any SunDanzer products for off grid? I have both the DCF225 Freezer and DCR225 Fridge versions that I have been using for over 8 years. They are chest units without any fancy electronics to break down.... just good solid, well insulated performers. I paid about $1300 each for them back then and it was some of the best money spent. Currently they make a variety of sizes, including RV sized units.
OUCH! Thanks for the product suggestion but damn $1900 = 5 cubic feet of fridge or freezer. I visited their site a while ago and now just like then, so many products are "out of stock". They must be building them great if they can't keep them stocked.
This may be the same product we used off-grid in Hawaii ten years ago. Works good, lasts long time.

Soap Box 03.png
I think I would buy $1000 of panels and a few used energy star fridges or freezers. When an old one craps out, pull another one out of the shed. Now that I think of it, none of the used fridges or freezers I have ever purchased, have stopped working. More money for solar, less money on new appliances that are built in another country.
So many folks buy new and toss perfectly good products, it does not make sense to me.
What happened to "Reduce, Recycle Reuse?"
A used, already built, 10 year old fridge or freezer and more solar panels and/or batteries VS a new fridge.

Is there a point when we should keep products out of the dump or even the recycle system? If it works and is not damaging the planet, why should it be recycled so it can then be transported all over the planet to be re-manufactured into something else?
Seriously, which scenario is going to do more damage to the planet and your pocketbook?
Rant over, no reply required. :)

Both the SunDanzer and SunFrosts are mold factories in humid regions because they don't self defrost. I've been around both of them.

Believe it or not a standard AC fridge defrosts both it's fridge and freezer compartments several times a day and that is the main user of energy. So it's not that the Sun's are more efficient it's that they don't have a self defrost function. Ta-Da

In my experience it far better to to step up to a standard fridge for most people.

Last edited:
Refrigerators (not freezers) go through a defrost cycle?
Both the SunDanzer and SunFrosts are mold factories in humid regions because they don't self defrost. I've been around both of them.

Your refrigerators go through a defrost cycle? I've only had freezers do that. For 8 years I've not only been around them, but I've owned and used them daily as well. No mold problems, and I don't live in a dry environment (Pacific Northwest). These also don't have all the fancy gadgets or bluetooth or whatever that ultimately fails and takes the whole unit with it. I follow the KISS principle whenever I can.

These things just work, and last forever. No modern high-tech refrigerator can make that claim and not be lying about it.

And you forgot to mention the most important point... you know, the one we are all here for... off grid solar. These things won't blow your energy budget like a standard fridge will. Not everyone has some huge array and massive battery bank.

OUCH! Thanks for the product suggestion but damn $1900 = 5 cubic feet of fridge or freezer. I visited their site a while ago and now just like then, so many products are "out of stock". They must be building them great if they can't keep them stocked.
This may be the same product we used off-grid in Hawaii ten years ago. Works good, lasts long time.

Yeah stock varies throughout the year because they are so popular. I don't know where you got that price, but look around. I've seen the 8.2 cubic foot freezer for hundreds of dollar less than the price you posted, and got my 8.0 cu ft model for $1200 at Ben's Discount Supply.

These things just work, and last forever. No modern high-tech refrigerator can make that claim and not be lying about it.
I've had a couple of SunDanzers and neither lasted 5 years. I've also been around a few of the SunFrost's who's owners complained about being problematic.
Your refrigerators go through a defrost cycle?
You made me question myself so I had to look. Here's why the fridge side walls get warm. A buddy who is an appliance repairman told me that's it's to keep the moisture off the inside which I took to be a defrost cycle. It's part of the design but technically not a defrost cycle so I will have to retract my statement.

And you forgot to mention the most important point... you know, the one we are all here for... off grid solar. These things won't blow your energy budget like a standard fridge will. Not everyone has some huge array and massive battery bank.
Let's take a peak at the numbers.

Less than an extra ~1.5 kWH per day which for a AC fridge adds one 350 watt panel to an off grid system in most locations. ~$150 of extra solar and minimal impact on your battery bank size.

To be fair not are you only paying a lot more money for a DC fridge you are paying way more money per cubic ft which is the proper way to look at it.

Paying more for a fridge to buy less solar panels hasn't penciled out for at least 10 years now that solar is so much cheaper. Plus that's a fridge that cannot be repaired by a local repair person or replaced locally so when it goes down it's going to be a hassle.

I chose to get a real fridge that my wife doesn't hate me for. When it goes down I can be back from town with a new one in less than a hour.

I chose to get a real fridge that my wife doesn't hate me for. When it goes down I can be back from town with a new one in less than a hour.
Sure, we each have our own choices. I just would rather pay once for a fridge that will last the life of 3-4 others. As I've said, both of my SunDanzers are over 8 years old and running as strong as day one, with no concerns that some chip will go bad and make my refrigeration inoperable or some plastic part for the ice dispenser breaks or the *numerous* other problems people complain about modern refrigerators.

Let's take a peak at the numbers.

Less than an extra ~1.5 kWH per day which for a AC fridge adds one 350 watt panel to an off grid system in most locations. ~$150 of extra solar and minimal impact on your battery bank size.

I'd rather use that for another appliance.

The end result is both approaches have their pluses and minuses that depend on the user and their needs. You shouldn't disregard an approach that is best for some, because it doesn't work for you.

The end result is both approaches have their pluses and minuses that depend on the user and their needs. You shouldn't disregard an approach that is best for some, because it doesn't work for you.
In no way shape or form am I disregarding your approach. I'm just doing math.

Here's some math for those who are finding this thread in future while doing research about what approach they should take for thier off grid home. I even built in the inverter losses into the AC fridge usage.

Summary: If you spend $2,000 less for a locally available fridge you'll net 10 more cubic feet of space that adds 1 kwh per day to your system.. That's just over 200 extra watts of PV you have to add to your system for a net savings of somewhere around $1800.

1649548296702.png

Here's some math for those who are finding this thread in future while doing research about what approach they should take for thier off grid home. I even built in the inverter losses into the AC fridge usage.

Summary: If you spend $2,000 less for a locally available fridge you'll net 10 more cubic feet of space that adds 1 kwh per day to your system.. That's just over 200 extra watts of PV you have to add to your system for a net savings of somewhere around $1800.

View attachment 90578
Assuming your numbers are all correct, you'll spend $1200 more alone on the LG model scenario, because you'll have to replace the thing 3 times over the lifetime of the DC units. So please do the *complete* math :)

I've had a couple of SunDanzers and neither lasted 5 years. I've also been around a few of the SunFrost's who's owners complained about being problematic.

To be fair not are you only paying a lot more money for a DC fridge you are paying way more money per cubic ft which is the proper way to look at it.

Paying more for a fridge to buy less solar panels hasn't penciled out for at least 10 years now that solar is so much cheaper. Plus that's a fridge that cannot be repaired by a local repair person or replaced locally so when it goes down it's going to be a hassle.

Having experience with an alternative-energy refrigerator, I guess the one word I have to say is "pathetic". After that is no thank you.

Here's one more point that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. After going the maximal production, AC route rather than adhere to the thrifty DC route, besides just running the frig, I can run anything else. With the system that's designed to run the well-pump, anything else that gets thrown at it runs just fine. Need a cement mixer running all day, no problem! Wife wants to iron? I just told her as long as the sun is up, you can iron. She's happy.

Having experience with an alternative-energy refrigerator, I guess the one word I have to say is "pathetic". After that is no thank you.

Here's one more point that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. After going the maximal production, AC route rather than adhere to the thrifty DC route, besides just running the frig, I can run anything else. With the system that's designed to run the well-pump, anything else that gets thrown at it runs just fine. Need a cement mixer running all day, no problem! Wife wants to iron? I just told her as long as the sun is up, you can iron. She's happy.

I actually wish more people had this attitude...then the rest of wouldn't always find the off grid DC units out of stock. Personally, what I find "pathetic" is the failure rate of fancy modern refrigeration units, both residential and commercial.

I'm glad folks are able to find what works for them. But this is a forum with many people in many situations. Not everyone has the luxury of buying a system that even meets their total energy needs, much less exceeds it. I came here offering a viable alternative, which I have, and it's unfortunate that people portray their way is the only realistic way.

Assuming your numbers are all correct, you'll spend $1200 more alone on the LG model scenario, because you'll have to replace the thing 3 times over the lifetime of the DC units. So please do the *complete* math :)
Feel free to double check my math and while you're at it please look for data that supports your statement that a DC fridge will outlast three AC fridges.

I used data to prove that initial system cost will be $1800 less with an AC fridge. Not my opinion, just data.

Geesh, I just remembered another DC fridge I had that failed in less than 2 years. So in the last 10 years I've had 3 DC fridges bite the dust and zero problems with my two AC fridges. :unsure:

Again, I've got no problem with your approach. I'm just trying to help other folks make an educated decision about the direction they should go.

Peace

1649552511245.png

Last edited:
With the system that's designed to run the well-pump, anything else that gets thrown at it runs just fine.
Right. The design and installation of nearly every off grid system I'm around is dominated by the well pump. Everything else is pretty much a walk in the park after the well pump is dealt with.

It baffles me that such essential appliances in the US are still based on 1940s technology!

I found a number of very efficient "inverter" refrigerators but they are NOT available in the US. Panasonic for example has some I like.

Has anyone found a US source for modern refrigerators?

Not really interested in the overpriced marine/rv DC fridges.
I guess there was some good info (not mine) there for you,???‍♂️

This seems to have the samsung linear compressor:

LG - 6.9 Cu Ft Single Door Refrigerator - Platinum silver​

Model:LRONC0705V
SKU:6452360

Any opinions?

Refrigerators (not freezers) go through a defrost cycle?

Your refrigerators go through a defrost cycle? I've only had freezers do that. For 8 years I've not only been around them, but I've owned and used them daily as well. No mold problems, and I don't live in a dry environment (Pacific Northwest). These also don't have all the fancy gadgets or bluetooth or whatever that ultimately fails and takes the whole unit with it. I follow the KISS principle whenever I can.

Yeah stock varies throughout the year because they are so popular. I don't know where you got that price, but look around. I've seen the 8.2 cubic foot freezer for hundreds of dollar less than the price you posted, and got my 8.0 cu ft model for $1200 at Ben's Discount Supply.
All residential combination refrigerator/freezers are freezers, with a fan to blow cold air from the freezer circuit to the cooler side...
So, YES refrigerators have a defrost... because they are freezers... with a room that gets less of the frozen air.

They also have heaters in them to reduce moisture on the seals etc to prevent microbial growth...

If you really want to save on electricity costs, you can always turn a plain old chest freezer into a refrigerator using a Johnson controller. Unlike a refrigerator, the coldness will stay inside when you open the top. Here's what it looks like:

Back