diy solar

diy solar

split phase 240 load and 120 - energized at same time

cara2000

I am looking at this inverter, split phase.

Can I use a well pump @240V ( 2500W) and small load like a fridge 120V (300W) in the same time?

How would I wire the output? I see it has 4 wires coming out L1, L2, neutral and ground. Is there a plug that can provide 240V and 120V (in case it works simultaneously) you can recommend?

Thanks!

Can I use a well pump @240V ( 2500W) and small load like a fridge 120V (300W) in the same time?

How would I wire the output? I see it has 4 wires coming out L1, L2, neutral and ground. Is there a plug that can provide 240V and 120V (in case it works simultaneously) you can recommend?

Thanks!
Yes, you can do that. Your best solution would be to get a small 240v breaker box so you could put in a 240v breaker for the well pump and some 120v breakers for other loads. Then wire circuits from those breakers to outlet boxes or directly to the pump (for example). You really don't want a number of output cords hanging off your inverter.

Thanks!
Please research how the standard North American split phase electrical system works. Every (nearly) house in the US runs both 240vac and 120 vac loads simultaneously and the standard 4-pin 240vac plugs provide the needed wiring to run 240 and 120 volt loads.

It's pretty basic knowledge to need as a starting point when looking into an inverter and solar power.
I don't want you to think I'm talking down to you, I'm just concerned about safety.

Please research how the standard North American split phase electrical system works. Every (nearly) house in the US runs both 240vac and 120 vac loads simultaneously and the standard 4-pin 240vac plugs provide the needed wiring to run 240 and 120 volt loads.

It's pretty basic knowledge to need as a starting point when looking into an inverter and solar power.
I don't want you to think I'm talking down to you, I'm just concerned about safety.
Ok, appreciate that.
My concern was: if that small load on 120V creating an unbalance situation for 240V. The branch which is feeding 120V load will have a small current on neutral that can make the overall potential of the branch to decrease - not sure if I explain it well but I feel the 240V can be impaired is I don't balance the 120V load equally on L1, L2

Your house is almost never fully balanced between L1 and L2 due to changing loads (just kicking on that microwave puts 1000W on one leg.

It is true some inverters do not like imbalances too much, but they can all handle it to an extent. That one however I'm fairly certain is a LF inverter, and those typically do not have the same sensitivity to load balances.

Ok, appreciate that.
My concern was: if that small load on 120V creating an unbalance situation for 240V. The branch which is feeding 120V load will have a small current on neutral that can make the overall potential of the branch to decrease - not sure if I explain it well but I feel the 240V can be impaired is I don't balance the 120V load equally on L1, L2
When you are talking about starting a pump, the starting current might tax the inverter to (or near) its limits. If that happens AND you have a 120v load of any size running when the pump starts, that load might push the inverter over the limit and cause a trip, trip it off.

Ok, appreciate that.
Sounds like you've got a much better understanding than I expected based on my interpretation of your post. Sorry.

As others have said split phase inverters are built to handle some imbalance. Some more than others. Transformer (low frequency) inverters are better at it than high frequency inverters.

Back