diy solar

diy solar

State of Colorado remote off grid system permitting - any advice?

Westcliffe01

The county in Colorado I am moving to does not have building codes and provides no services related to electrical and plumbing, these are done through the state and with inspectors provided by the state. Has anyone had any experience with this from a DIY point of view ? What is the attitude of state officials with regard to non UL equipment etc ? There is no accessible grid system over the mountain slopes of Custer county and based on the low population numbers that will not change soon. It would involve a massive investment to extend the grid into vary sparsely developed land over a distance of many miles. Im sure the residents would not want unsightly overhead lines either.

Curious if anyone has some experience to share.

Thanks

I don't have experience but I believe Colorado is on 2020 NEC and those would be your only requirements in a county that doesn't have additional requirements.

I'm over on the other side of the Sangres. I have a good friend who is off the grid. He had to deal with the state inspector for this area, but he was very helpful. I met the current guy, maybe the same one, and he's cool. He gave me some advice on some things I'm doing here. The reason he was at my place is because we had a grid tied system put in this year, so he had to make a couple of trips to inspect things. Seems easy going. I've dealt with a lot of building inspectors and such, working in construction, and it's always good when they don't turn out to be weirdos. I have to say that most of them are fine, but there are some who are not.

"and it's always good when they don't turn out to be weirdos."

I concur. (y)

I would talk to them first they might be willing to just accept some simple hand drawings. I have done that before showed up at the office they helped me draw up some plans. If they want professional plans you can go with Greenlancer they are not that expensive to get professional plans made.

Back