diy solar

diy solar

Sungold 24V All-In-One Operating Voltage

inoahguy

Hey everyone,

I’m currently working on my first system, and I just need to make sure I’m giving my all-in-one enough operative voltage. The voltage range in the manual says 120V is the minimum. Working through the space on my skoolie roof, my best option for panels gives me 126.7V going to the all-in-one. That’s within the range, but I’m just not sure if it’s comfortable within the range or not. On a less sunny day, is there a chance I wouldn’t get enough volts to operate the all-in-one?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If that's 126.7Voc, I'd be concerned it's too low.

Reduced sun won't impact voltage that much. Light gives voltage. Intensity of light gives current.

Solar heating of the panels may impact it significantly. Panels are easily 110°F+ in direct sun and are going to output LESS than rated voltage due to the elevated temperature.

IMHO, too close for comfort.

VOC and Vmp can impact also. My panels make less voltage when producing the most power (VOC) and More voltage when producing less power (VOC).

Also, the heat can play havoc with this also. My flexible panels can reach 155 degrees and my flat glass panels can reach 135 when its 115 degrees outside. I don't have stats of actual usage, but most decent panels have a temperature compensation.

If that's 126.7Voc, I'd be concerned it's too low.

Reduced sun won't impact voltage that much. Light gives voltage. Intensity of light gives current.

Solar heating of the panels may impact it significantly. Panels are easily 110°F+ in direct sun and are going to output LESS than rated voltage due to the elevated temperature.

IMHO, too close for comfort.
I’m not working with VOC here. Also, I live in Alberta, Canada. It’s super sunny here, but also super cold.

I’m not working with VOC here. Also, I live in Alberta, Canada. It’s super sunny here, but also super cold.

So 126.7Vmp rated? So rated Voc is over 152V?

I'm Showing alberta at about 25°C right now - sounds luscious (we hit 40°C today). That means the panels, sitting in direct sun, with 80% of the solar energy hitting them being converted into heat, will be in the 40-50°C range. THAT's the temperature that matters. At that point, your peak Vmp will be about 8% below rated. If 126.7 is rated, you'll be at 116.6V - below 120V.

A great way to be disappointed is to tickle the limits of the cheap chinese AiO. If it says 120V min, you don't want to be anywhere near it at any time.

As mentioned the odds on you getting enough to get it to kick in will be slim being marginal at best volts wise.

The worst part is even if you get it working at say 126 volts you wont see full output from the panels. I found with mine I needed 120 volts to make it start producing power but I needed 140volts or more to get it using most of the panels capacity. The mpp function just doesn't work that well at the min kick in point. When it starts tracking it lowers voltage finding the sweet spot power output wise and will drop below the 120 volts or it gets way to close. It just doesn't work that well.

Back