diy solar

diy solar

SunGold SPH10K48SP 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Temporary install of SPH10K48SP for testing. We have a Growatt 12kw system, but it faces issues with down time and not enough volts to use solar array properly. The best thing about the 10kw Sungold is that it amplifies the PV volts to 500V input. This has been great and was able to quickly restring our 24 panels to raise the volts. However there are some draw backs and waiting for Sungold. First the SmartEss app is not ready for prime time. The app WILL ONLY chart PV 1 input and not PV 2 input. Second it will also only chart HOT 1 or L1 and NOT HOT 2 or L2. The WiFi dongle was terrible at set up. I’m waiting for Sungold to respond if there are other options or changes that can be made so the app produces the correct data for PV KW and for Load KW.
I’ve got a 10kw Sungold on the way. Do you know if I can use it in UPS mode while it’s plugged in to grid via main panel and using a non-neutral-switching MTS where circuits get their neutral from same main panel?

I have had a hellofatime trying to get wifi to work today.... my system arrived late last night...got it temporarily hooked up and in and working in place of my Ecoflow Delta Pro....been cranking away all day...working great.... with the exception of the wifi...

It seemed to work at first then when it gave me issues I tried reinstalling the app etc and the screwed everything up apparently (and I can't find any way to reset to factory) I've tried searching around the internet but no luck. I'd like to at least reset everything and start over / try again but can't even do that! Jeeeeeze!!

my thread is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/just-ordered-a-sungold-10kw-48v-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/

I'll be attempting to connect the AC grid input tomorrow (for charging/backup w/o solar) and need to get my three additional panels wired up. Everything is in 'test' 'just get 'er going and make sure it all works before I do a more permanent install. Also more batteries on the way...

Temporary install of SPH10K48SP for testing. We have a Growatt 12kw system, but it faces issues with down time and not enough volts to use solar array properly. The best thing about the 10kw Sungold is that it amplifies the PV volts to 500V input. This has been great and was able to quickly restring our 24 panels to raise the volts. However there are some draw backs and waiting for Sungold. First the SmartEss app is not ready for prime time. The app WILL ONLY chart PV 1 input and not PV 2 input. Second it will also only chart HOT 1 or L1 and NOT HOT 2 or L2. The WiFi dongle was terrible at set up. I’m waiting for Sungold to respond if there are other options or changes that can be made so the app produces the correct data for PV KW and for Load KW.
I’m going to run solar assistant via USB, the smart Ess app is total garbage

4F518E42-40E9-4D03-8F89-0FF00A2BB8FC.jpeg

My 10Kw SPH10K48SP has been dead out of the box. Constant 05- alarm. Battery overcurrent hardware protection. Nothing connected except the battery. Smells a bit burnt. Sungold keeps pressuring me to take it apart and break open the sealed connections but I think that's a bit much to ask for a brand new unit. I can't get them to offer a replacement and my (new) unit is dead on arrival. Not a good experience so far.

My 10Kw SPH10K48SP has been dead out of the box. Constant 05- alarm. Battery overcurrent hardware protection. Nothing connected except the battery. Smells a bit burnt. Sungold keeps pressuring me to take it apart and break open the sealed connections but I think that's a bit much to ask for a brand new unit. I can't get them to offer a replacement and my (new) unit is dead on arrival. Not a good experience so far.

I’d do a charge back on my card and tell them to pound sand

OP here...

Same thing happened to me.

Contact your credit card company immediately. And document with them what is happening.

Here is my failure post. I also had problems right out of box with similar overcurrent + OVP protection alarms
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...erter-wont-start-up-red-light-on-board.72937/

You can see my thread where I am in the process.

Not fun.

(CORRECTION: I watched your video i see that you are notifying your bank. I was finally able to mail it back to the warehouse on my own dime for $200 US, they have yet to refund. I am getting emails now that they need more time to 'investigate' the device; Sungold may turn out to be ScamGold)

Last edited:
Update for those following. 7 weeks since delivery. Received a paid return slip for the defunct inverter to ship back. Promised new one, waiting. Will update on final results and steps taken. All tests requested were completed but unit remained failed with 05 alarm.

Update for those following. 7 weeks since delivery. Received a paid return slip for the defunct inverter to ship back. Promised new one, waiting. Will update on final results and steps taken. All tests requested were completed but unit remained failed with 05 alarm.
Good. What did you have to do to get them to send you a return label/etc?? I may be dealing with a similar (though perhaps not so obviously broken) issue with a Sungold Rack Battery. Trying to work though it. See my other thread if interested.

Good. What did you have to do to get them to send you a return label/etc?? I may be dealing with a similar (though perhaps not so obviously broken) issue with a Sungold Rack Battery. Trying to work though it. See my other thread if interested.
Did you ever get a battery charger to charge the weak battery all the way up so it can balance? For it to balance out I would think it would need to be held at a full charge for a bit to get there.

Did you ever get a battery charger to charge the weak battery all the way up so it can balance? For it to balance out I would think it would need to be held at a full charge for a bit to get there.

I've got one arriving today, may pull that battery out and charge it separately.... You're probably right....I'm still trying to figure this all out and Sungold ain't helpin' much so I'm pushing them about returning it.

But just now I got an Undervoltage error on Battery #2 which was what started this.... will post on my thread...
Wow, man im to the point that if you’re not off grid without utility access, system builds like ours may not even be worth it. Or if on grid just grid tie with a contract with utility company and avoid storage all together. It’s not just Sungold either, I’m seeing sooo many units that went out on Black Friday sales with Signature Solar having problems also

Still waiting on my replacement. She claims I ship on the 18th.

We’ll see what happens

Last edited:
Wow, man im to the point that if you’re not off grid without utility access, system builds like ours may not even be worth it. Or if on grid just grid tie with a contract with utility company and avoid storage all together. It’s not just Sungold either, I’m seeing sooo many units that went out on Black Friday sales with Signature Solar having problems also

Still waiting on my replacement. She claims I ship on the 18th.

We’ll see what happens
Yeah..... I'm writing a missive to Cindy Lou Who right now.... after charging all night the four batteries had all hit 100% by about 6PM but Battery #5 is still at 96.4% SOC this morning... I have seen it notch up a couple of teenths of a percent to 96.6 % so maybe it is still charging but this is ridiculous - the deviant behavior clearly indicates something wrong and the battery should be replaced but Cindy/Support have been ignoring my emails for days now...I'm screaming into the abyss.

Last edited:
Back