diy solar

diy solar

TBD SmartShunt

butter_fry

tbd-smartshunt.png
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KNJ4Y7B/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_SE6SFF695SZTDPSBE0CA

This thing looks inexpensively interesting. Anyone tried it out?
I'm not too interested if there is no way to get the data out, but that UART port looks promising. Sure looks oddly similar to an identically named Victron product. I can find nearly zero about it on the web. Just that amazon link and the Play Store link.

I thought that too.. but then downloaded the app and there is a whole line of TBD 'Smart' things. so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

currently hovering on Add To Cart..

TBD - What a great company name! In standard engineering documentation, TBD is a placeholder: "To Be Determined"

Doesn't sound like a company with a long term commitment. :ROFLMAO:

You can look for the Juctek KG-F as well. About the same price range and also has RS485

+ It includes a display (unlike this one which does require the app_
- It only senses 1 battery (this one can also read eg the starter battery - but I personally don't care about that)

You can look for the Juctek KG-F as well. About the same price range and also has RS485
In the naming department, Junctek wins. honestly how much worse could that get?

I think the TBD is going straight for victron though. It couldn't be any more blatant - Both named SmartShunt, nearly identical design, UART.Connect vs VE.Direct... I wouldn't be surprised if this IS the victron with some rebranded firmware from the same factory, or the Victron design fell out of the back of a truck. Makes me want to tear into it and see if there are some of the same markers/tool marks/identifiers.

Anyhow.. I didn't buy it yet I'll be back to update if I do.

Last edited:

+ It includes a display (unlike this one which does require the app_
- It only senses 1 battery (this one can also read eg the starter battery - but I personally don't care about that)

Does anyone have experience with this?

Does anyone have experience with this?
I bought one just to try out, but it is still in transit and hasn't made it to the U.S. Even when I get it, messing with it will probably be lower priority than some of my other tasks.

I promise that when I do try it out I'll post here about my findings.

I purchased one from amazon. Instructions are just ok. Actually I use the Victron instructions. Trying to understand the SOC drain on a new lifep04 battery. Seems a bit quick. Does NOT seem to be the typical junk product typical of this industry. Fun to play with.

I purchased one from amazon. Instructions are just ok. Actually I use the Victron instructions. Trying to understand the SOC drain on a new lifep04 battery. Seems a bit quick. Does NOT seem to be the typical junk product typical of this industry. Fun to play with.
Do you have the IoT infrastructure to try out the UART port/data collection? I really want to get data into influx. I know that is MY interest, but for this price, I can't even make a decent V/A/Watt monitor with an ESP8266/ina226/shunt from scratch.

I am new to this. Not sure what these items are.
Can you send me the user manual if it came with a link, or some readable photos? I'm trying to figure out how the port on the front > left works and If it can be used to export the data it collects in realtime

There is almost nothing to find regarding this unit. Not in general, let alone any information about the UART port.

I think youre probably have to figure it out yourself. Can't even find the vendors page

First step would be figuring out if its RS232 or TTL level and test to see if it's RS232 or RS485

Second: For reading, its likely it just spits out data. So by testing (or checking with a scope if you have one) you can figure out the baudrate.

For settings: Maybe the BT is in parallel with the UART, so you might be able to intercept communication to see the used commands

Reading data shouldn't be that hard once you've managed to get some readable data. An Arduino or ESP for example can handle that, that's no big deal.

There is almost nothing to find regarding this unit. Not in general, let alone any information about the UART port.

I think youre probably have to figure it out yourself. Can't even find the vendors page

First step would be figuring out if its RS232 or TTL level and test to see if it's RS232 or RS485

Second: For reading, its likely it just spits out data. So by testing (or checking with a scope if you have one) you can figure out the baudrate.

For settings: Maybe the BT is in parallel with the UART, so you might be able to intercept communication to see the used commands

Reading data shouldn't be that hard once you've managed to get some readable data. An Arduino or ESP for example can handle that, that's no big deal.
Yup.. I've got some debugging to do (bought one to test out). of course i'd rather BTLE the data, but if i have to the UART port should work. I'll try it out with the RS2XX to USB dongle I've got to see what it says and go from there. After that I'll work on the bluetooth and see if i can make a little script that can spit it out and format it.

I wrote the mfgr (apparently). this is the response I received

Hello Cory,

Thank you for your consultation.

We have not yet developed the function of this UART, but we are planning to develop it. We will develop this series of products later, and this UART port can come in handy.

Regards

A new firmware was released, but I think it said it only fixes the ability to save alarms. Hopefully we see a release soon for functionality of the UART port. I think I ordered the last one available on Amazon.

The new App version does indeed come with a new firmware, loaded locally from your device on first connection. Nothing new feature wise, as the changelog said.

Back