diy solar

diy solar

TBD SmartShunt

These are not longer for sale on Amazon. Any idea where to buy from now?
One of the people who purchased it on Amazon said he might return it. You should keep an eye on this link in case they sell that returned unit before new production is available.

Is this meter anything like this one?

Here is the link from the app to the instructions.
Notice that the bolts on this shunt are M10 just like the Victron, so plan for that. Since I am cheap, I just used a step drill for my existing 5/16" lugs. That might be a bit much, but seems to work ok since they were thick lugs, and I only drilled them to barely fit (just past the point that they cannot be threaded onto the bolt), 1/0 cables from Spartan Power for battery to shunt and shunt to inverter and the other a 6 awg cable from batterycablesusa for solar input to the shunt's SYSTEM MINUS. I even tested with an EVSE at about 1600w of DC and no issues so far. I do not use this system for EV charging (single 12v 200ah battery), but I now know I can, and might as well conserve the energy (at least most of it) from this test to be used later instead of using a heat gun or something. Did I say I was cheap?

Do you know if this shunt will work with Solar Assistant?

Probably not. I recently asked this company for the protocol documentation, but they have not responded yet. I would like to make a driver for Victron Venus OS.

I wanted to check out the UART configuration on the TBD SmartShunt.

The shunt sends a message once per second with a bitrate of 115200 bits per second. I could not find a UART protocol that matched the shunt and it does not seem to match up with the VE.direct protocol on the Victron Energy SmartShunt.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 3.28.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 3.28.05 PM.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
I ended up purchasing the Victron 500 A smart shunt last month along with the USB type A adapter cord. It worked with my Solar-Assistant on Raspberry Pi 3B+ with no fuss. Also, the software and bluetooth integration with the iPhone was pretty nice. Good quality product. My first Victron experience was very positive. I can see why many people select that brand.

The shunt sends a message once per second with a bitrate of 115200 bits per second. I could not find a UART protocol that matched the shunt and it does not seem to match up with the VE.direct protocol on the Victron Energy SmartShunt.

Thanks for the data capture. So looks like 3.3v, can't use a victron V.E. Direct cable then.

I might hook this up to find the voltage, and current offsets

Did you or anyone determine if this UART is outputting MODBUS RS485, or something else ? .. I am looking for a Shunt that outputs Modbus RS485...... This [Looks] slightly hopeful...... Thanks!

~RandomPlanet

I think I figured out at most of the protocol.

First, the values are ASCII values are hexadecimal digits, with the first digit a ':'. The 10 digits after that are always the same for me, so maybe some sort of device ID?

The next 8 digits are a byteswapped float that appears to be voltage, followed by another 8 digits that are another byteswapped float that appears to be current.

I'm not sure about the rest. If I convert the next 8 to another byteswapped float, it's a small value, but I haven't setup my SOC limits yet, so it might not be valid if it's related to that. There's also two more digits at the end that are not being used, so it could be shifted by 2. The last two could also be a checksum.

Edit: I'm uploading a simple python script that parses the voltage and current.

Attachments

• tdb_shunt.txt
    599 bytes · Views: 35
Last edited:
Just finished integrating the TBD smart shunt into Home Assistant using your code and it works great.
Once I figured out how to get Python to run on the ESP32, I am more of a hardware guy.
Thank you for all the hard work.

Back