diy solar

diy solar

The EG4 18Kpv CAN handle 18/21kW of PV on its inputs

Thanks for all the information!

I am sourcing all my small(er) parts now and the wire is the next largest expense. I will use the SolArk tool to look at voltage drop with different configurations of parallel strings of 10AWG (3) vs 6AWG. I've found a deal on 10AWG THHN wire that I am trying to make work. Plan would be use run in 2" conduit underground from Ground mount back to solar/well pump shed. I also have to deal with meter base being 75ft away from that, but so be it. I plan to run a parallel run of 2" conduit when I trench for future expansion. I got these Trina panels dirt cheap a few years back so this 11.3kW will be array #1 into a single 18k unit.

Anyone have a good source for low cost wire?
I've been able to order 10 awg THHN from Home Depot as cheap as I have found it anywhere else. But I buy the 500' rolls so that may make a difference, depending on how much you need. For the wires exposed to sunlight I recommend you go with the stuff made for that. I bought mine from https://www.photovoltaiccable.com. I'm sure some others here have their preferred suppliers as well. I don't know if there is such a thing as "low cost wire" anymore. :(

I've been able to order 10 awg THHN from Home Depot as cheap as I have found it anywhere else. But I buy the 500' rolls so that may make a difference, depending on how much you need. For the wires exposed to sunlight I recommend you go with the stuff made for that. I bought mine from https://www.photovoltaiccable.com. I'm sure some others here have their preferred suppliers as well. I don't know if there is such a thing as "low cost wire" anymore. :(
Of note XHHW has thicker insulation, higher resistance to leakage, and is much more flexible especially in colder environments (not issue for TX :LOL: )

100% agree...no such thing as cheap wire lol. .31/ft is the best I can find in 10AWG and HD shows 6AWG @ .85/ft which is better than what I had been looking at. I was looking to buy 2,500ft spools, but would not make sense if 1 run of 6AWG gets me Vdrop of 1.46% on MPPT1. Yes - all THHN would be underground in conduit and terminated at PV disconnects - topside would be PV wire.
@rhino - I'm in MS so hot and humid as hell right now.

My thought process was that when we start getting up in the 250V+ range I personally would take the extra insulation and flexibility in any event since the higher the voltage the more risk there is of leakage if there is any damage to the insulation. I'm just being extra cautious.

Just a note for home depot, if you are thinking of ordering more than $2500 worth of stuff, go to the pro desk and you will probably get preferential pricing. I got an average of 30% off of most of my rolls of wire.

Lowes does the same for $1,500 or more. Honestly though, Home Depot seems to have better prices and availability on electrical supplies.

Back