diy solar

diy solar

The WiFi router fever...

Externet

Greetings.
Why manufacturers of inverters believe everyone uses/has/needs/wants WiFi routers ?
My inverter cannot report its performance to my smart phone. Growatt customer service is lost in space; if I have the solar system in a barn by the farmlands away from internet providers, I cannot monitor what is going on. They want you connected to their internet server.
My printer connects to my smart phone WiFi direct, there is no router at my location. Inverters cannot ? ?

Anyone here has a solution to do the direct linking, or to get performance reports without complications ?

Because 99% of the market has an internet box with WiFi, and this avoids running a cable.

My inverters have Ethernet or RS-485 daughter cards. The Ethernet can either plug into my PC with a crossover cable, or into a router. The RS-485 daisy-chains multiple inverters with a data logger box, which in turn has Ethernet jack for similar use. I connect my laptop to use as air-gapped private network, avoiding internet vulnerabilities.

Some inverters have Bluetooth, so they can connect directly to smartphones. At this moment, supply chain issues might leave some without that installed.

This grid-tie inverter has WiFi and Ethernet ports, network or direct connect (page 52)

You can probably set up a local WiFi router, either with a PC serving that function, or using a separate router. "Router" assigns Ethernet addresses, while "Switch" just passes them through. I have an old DSL 4-port + WiFi router. I just powered it up and plugged in cables from my inverter daughter card and my laptop. Something like this:

Back