diy solar

diy solar

Tripp-lite UPS

nwillitts

Solar Enthusiast
i have a tripp-lite UPS,batts are dead.thinking about putting lifepo4 on them with a BMS.
what do you all think about that idea?

i have a tripp-lite UPS,batts are dead.thinking about putting lifepo4 on them with a BMS.
what do you all think about that idea?
It will work. Just don't plug back the AC plug to the wall to charge the UPS' new Lifepo4 battery. That default charge profile on the UPS is meant for the SLA/LA batteries. Use a SCC or differ DC charger instead.

If the UPS is rated 1000VA, you would run it at 700Watt max. Their spec would tell you what that is. UPS is not meant to run 24X7 with the lite home units.

Had an issue with my 48V APC 3000VA when connected to my solar panels. The higher than expected voltage first caused the warning of high battery voltage, then later would not boot. Replacing with a conventional inverter.

Not sure if the tripp-lite is as picky about battery voltage but would be a good thing to research prior to purchasing the lifepo4.

Last edited:
It will work. Just don't plug back the AC plug to the wall to charge the UPS' new Lifepo4 battery.
Kinda defeats the purpose of a UPS. Intent is to run on wall power then automatically switch to battery in grid down.

Edit: will a blocking diode prevent the UPS from charging the battery? Otherwise will be in eternal float.

Last edited:
If I got it right, a BMS is device that will save the batteries if they reach extremes. But they will not "convert" a charge profile designed for SLAs to the charge profile that suit lithium. So if you want to replace SLAs with Lithium you need both a BMS and a different charge profile that would suit them. Right?

.. Yet, I know there are some simple replaceable batteries I've seen here (victron or battleborn IIRC) that they seem to market them as if you could use those batteries to replace lead acid. If anyone could drop some hints regarding this it would be awesome

I've found some info googling around:
screenshot.3833.jpg
( source: https://www.batteryequivalents.com/battle-born-100-ah-lifepo4-12-volt-deep-cycle-battery.html )

I wish those batteries were available in my country (also that I could afford them!)

Last edited:
A forum member recently posted that perhaps Battle Born shouldn't be advertising their batteries as "drop-in replacements".

Maybe Will Prowse has already done this and I haven't see it, but it would be interesting to test a converter that uses an SLA charge profile against a Battle Born (or any LiFePO4 with BMS). I would like to see the volt/amp measurement at the posts and then the same measurement at the batteries upstream of the BMS.

why not just use the BMS as the charge controller?
other wise,i do have 4 AGM 100amh Batts just sitting.maybe use those instead.

why not just use the BMS as the charge controller?
other wise,i do have 4 AGM 100amh Batts just sitting.maybe use those instead.

That will take forever to fully charge the 100ah AGM batteries if you even draw them down. It will work as their in the SLA/LA/AGM battery family for UPS.

Will those 100 amp batteries overtax the charger in the UPS?

I have an APC Smart UPS 1500 sitting next to me. I tried some off-brand batteries in a similar UPS a few years ago. The results weren't good. They didn't last long, maybe 30% of the time the OEM batteries did. But they weren't LiFePO4, just the regular battery chemistry.

Only if it's poorly designed. A lot of assumptions go into the manufacture of small UPSes, including charging time. It should be current limited so that only leaves thermals to worry about. At worst, IMO, a fan should take care of it.

Depending on the UPS design it may use the same transformer to charge the battery and also provide the inverter output when mains fails. You have to be careful with those designs as they aren't built for continuous service (which would be running the inverter for longer than the native battery capacity allows for, or charging a larger battery than native capacity) and the transformers thermal fuse will fail if you try it without forced air cooling.

It might take an age to charge the battery but it would eventually get there.

Edit: will a blocking diode prevent the UPS from charging the battery? Otherwise will be in eternal float.

Not quite sure what you are getting at. A blocking diode allows current to flow in only one direction...so
That will take forever to fully charge the 100ah AGM batteries if you even draw them down. It will work as their in the SLA/LA/AGM battery family for UPS.

I was thinking about doing something like this with an APC UPS. As I recall they have a built in timer circuit to stop the charge after a set time. It's a "safety" feature.

I think my UPS has a port on the back for an external battery. That might be the way to go.

Yes I agree. Those are made to run much longer than the ones that don't have an external battery port.

Not quite sure what you are getting at. A blocking diode allows current to flow in only one direction...so
A blocking diode would allow current to flow from the battery and power the UPS section, however block charging current to flow into the batteries.

I think my UPS has a port on the back for an external battery. That might be the way to go.
If its an Anderson-style connector yes. Some have a small port that is only used as a battery disconnect.

I would think a seperate port BMS would excel for a UPS conversion where an external charger recharges the battery (solar, DC transformer, etc)
instead of the common port way. Wouldnt this prevent the UPS tripping from a high voltage situation?

A blocking diode would allow current to flow from the battery and power the UPS section, however block charging current to flow into the batteries.

Duh...don't know where my mind was. Thanks. I don't know how much of a voltage drop there would be? Of course that needs to be taken into consideration.

As far as running a UPS for a long time, wouldn't adding a fan to keep the UPS cool solve the problem? Pretty sure I saw a youtube video of someone who did.

Depends on the type of diode, and the rating of it. If you are after lower drop get a schottky. If you want to see what sort of drop in relation to current and voltages the diode works with go to sites like digikey, mouser etc. Their product section list will let you select a diode that suits your requirements and then check the data for it to see what the drop is.

You might want to post in this thread, handily just created, for more discussion about diode selection. Sure is specifically about bypassing but diodes are diodes.

Duh...don't know where my mind was. Thanks. I don't know how much of a voltage drop there would be? Of course that needs to be taken into consideration.

As far as running a UPS for a long time, wouldn't adding a fan to keep the UPS cool solve the problem? Pretty sure I saw a youtube video of someone who did.
Its not necessarily a pure heat equation (though it might be) . Some of these devices were designed with only a certain lifetime in mind. You probably could get a few good years out of them (I've rarely seen the electronics fail)

If anyone is interested for experiments I will donate my badboy APC 3000XL rated for continuous operation. It will occasionally boot which suggests nothing is permanently damaged. Free to pickup or prepay freight. eBay link to where I purchased it https://ebay.us/Xbggg4. I am an hour north of Houston.

ups.jpg

Back