diy solar

diy solar

Trying to figure out self supply on a XWPRO and if it is possible with a pair of inverters.

Joe_

I’m leaning towards trying to do what is pictured below with my pair of xw pro inverters. I didn’t understand that this was an option when I purchased them.
However it would shorten the payback period of my investment.

1701834762446.png
But then in the same XW Pro Self-supply and Export Limiting Solution Guide I ran across a statement that might prohibit doing it with a pair of inverters. Below is a screen shot of the page with the statement in question highlighted.

1701835037580.png

Does the statement in the second screenshot rule out doing self supply without selling back to the grid when using the 2 inverter configuration?
The manuals are not very clear on this. I’ve read the associated manuals a couple of times and am unable to be certain if the statement above applies to self supply without selling to the grid with a pair of Xw pro’s or not.
Thanks,

Last edited:
I called Schneider technical support. They did a little checking and said they needed to submit my questions for clarification, gave me a case number and said they would reply shortly when they had an answer.

I‘ll post the gist of their reply when I receive the E mail.

What does your power usage look like? Could you run on a single XW while on grid, then power up the second of/when the grid goes down? I assume that's why you have two, need for it when off grid? Do you have a huge motor to start or large electric heat?

You'd need to add a WattNode power meter, one specific model, and a couple current transducers. To measure grid load, and allow the XW to cover loads in the main panel.

I can't answer your question, but unless you spend a lot of time pulling more than 6kW from the grid, you might be fine on a single XW to get closer to zeroing out the grid meter.

What does your power usage look like? Could you run on a single XW while on grid, then power up the second of/when the grid goes down? I assume that's why you have two, need for it when off grid? Do you have a huge motor to start or large electric heat?

You'd need to add a WattNode power meter, one specific model, and a couple current transducers. To measure grid load, and allow the XW to cover loads in the main panel.

I can't answer your question, but unless you spend a lot of time pulling more than 6kW from the grid, you might be fine on a single XW to get closer to zeroing out the grid meter.

I do have some healthy loads from April to Oct. When on grid in summer a (40 amp+) 5T ac, a 2 ton mini split ac, ( 20ish amps) that is slated to cool the space the batteries and inverters are going into, a 5000 btu and 9000 btu ac, couple of fridges, couple of freezers, electric water heater, occasionally a wire feed welder, washer, dryer, electric range. When feasible ( low humidity and temperature less than 100) we run a 5/8 hp swamp cooler instead of the 5 ton ac because we actually like it better. It puts humidity back into the house.
I have a pellet stove for heat. If power was down I also need to power a 1 hp well. (11 amps) for water.

One inverter is preferable to no inverters to self supply. But two would be much better if that is even possible.
At the moment I have the wrong charge controllers for self supply.
I will need to buy the correct ones and the Modbus meter. I’m guessing I’ll have to spend another $4000 for those.
I’ll have to see if I can return the mppt’s I have or if I will have to save them for another array which is in the plans.
Being in the desert when you need the most power in the summer the heat degrades the output substantially.

I am wondering if the price of the additional equipment is worth what I will save on my power bill, and how many years will it take to pay off that additional equipment.
I’m not complaining, just trying to think thing through. Any advice?

The watt node is required for self supply.

Schneider brand MPPTs are required if you want "enhanced grid support" which is basically smarter selling to the grid. It allows the battery to fully charged by solar, then excess solar production can be sold to the grid, then battery can be used to support loads overnight.

4 AC units plus a well pump, a full kitchen, and water heater? Have you done an energy audit? How much of that is in the critical loads panel?
You could remove some of that load with a heat pump water heater. If your worried about recovery time, keep the current electric and add the heat pump in line. That way, when you've got massive hot water needs, the big electric can supply lots of hot water, but most of the time, the heat pump can do the job much more efficiently.
Big electric water heater on the grid side so you drop it when off grid and also set to a slightly lower temperature so that it does most of the work to keep the resistance electric water up to temp.

Electric dryer?

Although we have all these loads, we carefully use them to moderate our power usage. We have no choice . We are fairly creative as well as stingy with our power usage.

Being in low desert there is only so much you can do other than start from scratch with a different home, real adobe construction, or start throwing away appliances with many years left in them for more efficient but likely shorter lasting ones.
The watt node is required for self supply.

Schneider brand MPPTs are required if you want "enhanced grid support" which is basically smarter selling to the grid. It allows the battery to fully charged by solar, then excess solar production can be sold to the grid, then battery can be used to support loads overnight.
I am not allowed to grid tie here by the local power company . I am looking to always draw a little, say 10 amps from the grid.

Question:
With self supply…
Do you know if I am restricted to only using Schneider MPPT’s charge controllers or could I use Schneider MPPT’s for my first 10kw pv array then add in another array of say 5 kw using a different and less expensive brand of mppt such as the eg4 mppt .

I think if I did that the Schneider would only be able to export back on ac1 based on what it could see from the Schneider mppt controlled arrays which would be whatever is available on a typical 111F day from 10 kw of pv not ideally pointed south.

But the other off brand controlled array which would be more ideally pointed could charge the batteries directly through the off brand mppt’s. I’m not sure what the implications of doing something like that are..

One thought is if I set the export at SOC level on the Schneider to 90 percent SOC would that back door the smaller non Schneider array into being available in some way for the self supply to the main panel through AC1, the watt node etc? Any guess?
4 AC units plus a well pump, a full kitchen, and water heater? Have you done an energy audit?
Absolutely.
How much of that is in the critical loads panel?
Im not certain yet. It’s complicated.
I will have only 28k of battery when they eventually get here. I need to be certain I don’t run out of battery power overnight before I have enough PV generation in the morning. It’s important to not fault the system if we are away when the grid drops out.
2 Fridges, 2freezers, a 2 ton minisplit that cools the container with the solar equipment and 1 5000 btu AC on the critical load panel is slated at present. But I’ll have to see if I have enough battery for even that then adjust my battery up as necessary.
The reason I’m not certain isn’t laziness it’s that Air conditioning and refrigeration loads vary greatly with environmental temperature.
If the house temperature rises to 105, which it will in the summer if there is no grid and whole house AC, as when the grid goes down, then all the refrigerators and freezers pull more amps as well as run more frequently. Mini-split same thing

You get more battery milage out of the batteries over night because the air that the heat is being transferred into is cooler, (outside air temperature), lowering the compressor head pressure and thereby lowering the amp draw of the compressor’s motor proportionately. Also the unit runs less often because the differential between the cooled space and the unconditioned space is less, not as much heat is transferred into it in the same time period, as during the day. With some exceptions.

I found it really difficult to calculate what the actual usage of power might be because it varies with what hours ( day or night ) your using the equipment, the weather, cloud cover, etc etc. and that varies with which month it is.

My hope is to build something with a chance of being made into what I need, then try it and make the changes as necessary. It is unlikely I will get this correct the first stab. I’ve accepted that.

You could remove some of that load with a heat pump water heater. If your worried about recovery time, keep the current electric and add the heat pump in line. That way, when you've got massive hot water needs, the big electric can supply lots of hot water, but most of the time, the heat pump can do the job much more efficiently.
Big electric water heater on the grid side so you drop it when off grid and also set to a slightly lower temperature so that it does most of the work to keep the resistance electric water up to temp.
I might go to propane for stoves and water heating temporarily or maybe heat pumps. I have a couple of propane water heaters in storage but no propane infrastructure yet and no time to work on that at present.

Eventually I would love to build a solar hot water heater since we have no lack of solar here. But that is a large and resource intensive project, at least to get it working reliably it is, and will be down the road if it ever even happens.

Electric dryer?
We get strong winds, 20mph average gusts, 45mph occasionally. No wind breaks flat land. Lucky us…These are laden with desert dust and occur for weeks at a time in the early afternoons and into the evenings. more so in the summer I think.. Calm days are often the exception and sudden gusty periods in the middle of those less prevalent calm days are another normal.
When the wind comes up you need to quickly bring the clothes in or re wash them after retrieving them from your neighbors property.?
The dryer isn’t a necessity but it’s nice.

My wife loves quickly running a load of clothes at her convenience, and I love the wife. LOL If we were off grid we wouldn’t use it.
Thanks for the help..

Last edited:
By "28K of battery" I assume that means 28 kilowatt hours? That is not enough, not even close for your loads with 2 XW-Pro inverters.

I have a single XW-Pro that runs my house all night. My loads are much smaller, and I have 36 KWHs of battery capacity. Each XW-Pro asks for over 400 amp hours (over 19 KWHs each). While mine did work fine with 360 amp hours of Lithium NMC cells, I was cycling over 70% of my battery each day. Now I cycle about 50% on good days. But even a single cloudy day can bring the battery all the way down.

The built in Schneider software does have some odd issues. The "Advanced Grid Support" seems like it is more geared to selling back to the grid which you said you don't want to do, or can't due to local rules. Your only need for the sell back function is to power some loads in the main panel. What is the size of your main breaker? Have you ever tracked what your maximum peak current draw is? I only have a 100 amp main panel. Even when I am welding with my mig and my air compressor kicks on, while the central A/C is cranking, I am still pulling less than 100 amps. With the 2 XW-Pro inverters, you have a peak current capability of 100 amps for 30 seconds, and 30 minutes at 70 amps or so. Constant load should be under 56 amps to stay under the 6,800 watts per inverter.

In your case, I would put "almost" everything in the backup loads panel. Then have the XW-Pro running "Grid Support" mode. Any load over about 1 amp is supplied by the batteries. The XW never charges, all charge comes from the DC charge controllers. If production is not enough, it pulls from the grid as needed. If the grid fails, the loads run off the batteries. Running in this mode, the XW would not care at all about where the energy is coming from. It will just draw from the battery bank as needed and only stop if the voltage drops too low. Use any solar charge controller and even wind, it won't care. My battery bank is getting about 40% of the charging from a BougeRV solar charge controller.

The issues with the Schneider system are mostly with AC coupled solar. With DC solar, it just works.

I can't say much about the sell back with 2 inverters. I only have one and I am using my own 3rd part PLC controller to command the sell back power as well as the charge power from AC coupling.

Let's talk one thing at a time. Schneider operation before loads.
I am not allowed to grid tie here by the local power company . I am looking to always draw a little, say 10 amps from the grid.
I don't get this statement. Grid tie, just means connecting your battery/solar in parallel with the grid. I think you are connected to the grid.
I'm pretty sure you are saying you can't sell to the grid.
Is this correct?

I don't get this statement. Grid tie, just means connecting your battery/solar in parallel with the grid. I think you are connected to the grid.
Is this correct?
That is also how I understood it. No exporting power out to the grid, but let's be sure.

Is this correct?
Yes that is correct. I am connecting to the grid on AC1 but my power company does not allow me to sell power.

Yes that is correct. I am connecting to the grid on AC1 but my power company does not allow me to sell power.
Cool, grid connected, sell back not allowed.
Here's the difficult question: do they monitor each leg individually or just total power consumption? I ask, because when connected to the grid and your legs are imbalanced, the XW will let the grid balance the two legs.
For example of you have 5 amps on L1 and 15 amps on L2, the XW will output 10 amps at 240vac, allowing 5 amps out the grid on L1 and buying back 5 amps on L2.

No grid sell, means that you should be able to use whatever charge controllers you've already got.
I'd install the WattNode, get it set up and working on a single inverter, then try it with two.

Is grid connected, sell back not allowed the same as Grid Support Enabled, Sell Disabled or is it a different mode?
I‘m looking for where in the manual it tells you how to configure what you recommendEd.

About metering. How do I tell if my grid supplier monitors each leg individually or if they read total consumption?
Can I tell by the particular meter they have installed? Or do I need to ask?
If I am being metered by individual legs does that mean I’m SOL or is there a work around or some restrictions for dealing with the individual leg metering?

I’m a bit confused. The inverters do not then need to know how much solar is being fed into the system from PV for “grid connected, sell back not allowed” to function? Because they would get that info from the Schneider mppt’s.

Can you explain to me how the inverter functions in this mode.
I understand that it is reading the incoming mains using the WattNode. But don’t really understand what it does after that.
It’s late I’ll start in on this again in the morning.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer to that question. Most older meters just read both legs combined to get a summary. Maybe you can post or Google your meter brand and model to find that info.

Is the install permitted/legal from their perspective? If so, I'd plead ignorance of they complain.

If not and you call the power company, you may draw more attention. Or you might get someone who doesn't understand the question.

If they monitor each leg individually, you would probably get away estimating likely imbalance and allowing that as a constant import from the grid (this is a setting in Insight)

The more I type, the more I lean towards pleading ignorance of they complain.

Who is your power company?

San Carlos irrigation project if I remember correctly. Comes from the local reservation.
I’ll look at the meter tomorrow and see what I can find out.
I edited and rewrote my post with a few more question, if you’re willing and when you have time.
The multiple manuals are difficult to sort out.
Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Here's the difficult question: do they monitor each leg individually or just total power consumption?
It only measures total consumption because it employs a single Hall effect sensor instead of two, but is able to determine the overall direction of the flow of electricity and passes that info along. Is that helpful? I’m not certain of all the implications of this is in light of what you stated about the way the xw pro does self supply. As long as I don’t go anywhere near self supply I would think I should be fine?? Maybe shoot for 75%? What do you think?

In linked the pertinent page from the meters technical manual for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That sounds like it will work just like my meter here. Most of the day, my main panel load is unbalanced by about 3-4 amps. I show a net export on one leg and a net import on the other leg. The meter only shows the total of the two which in my case is a very small net export, by my choice. I push out about 20 watts when running on battery.

So adding the Watt-Node, and setting it to always import at least 100 watts, you should be fine. When a heavy load turns off, there will be a little export current for a few seconds. This can't be avoided without taking some drastic measures. After just a few seconds, the XW-Pro will adjust and return to the setting for the Watt-Node. The opposite happens when a large load starts. The start surge will come from the grid, and then the extra run power is still coming from the grid. After a few seconds, the Watt-Node will see this extra load and command the XW-Pro to push more current ot the grid side to cover this power draw. It takes a few seconds, but then it will be back at your chosen setting.

Technically, the XW-Pro will be "Selling to the Grid", but only enough to get your draw from the utility meter down to your desired setting. I just checked the settings in my XW-Pro and Gateway. Newer systems will be an Insight Home or Facility box instead of the Gateway, but it works about the same.

I am not using the zero sell settings in the XW-Pro. I have my own external controller doing it with a 5 second adjustment loop. The default settings in my Gateway have the "Trip Time" set up to 30 seconds. I think this means it will let current pull from the grid for up to 30 seconds before it makes and adjustment to increase the power pushed back to the main panel. That seems a little slow, but not a big deal as long as you understand that each time a heavy load stats, it will come from grid power for that 30 seconds. The "Clear Time" default in mine is set up to 60 seconds... a full minute. You will certainly want to shorten this time. As I understand it, this one sets how long it waits to lower energy export when a load turns off. I have my PLC making these adjustments every 5 seconds. Now that is probably overkill, but it works great. When I throw something in the microwave, I can watch it ramp up and cover the power in about 10 seconds, 2 adjustments. I have it only change the power 80% of how far off it measures. I didn't want it over shooting. It is still faster to hit the mark than the Watt-Node default settings.

The real question is if the Watt Node can control dual XW-Pros?

It only measures total consumption because it employs a single Hall effect sensor instead of two, but is able to determine the overall direction of the flow of electricity and passes that info along. Is that helpful?
That's good news, it is what you want to hear. You can pull in 6 amps on L1 and push out 5 amps on L2 and have the meeting read it as you purchasing 1 amp.
I’m not certain of all the implications of this is in light of what you stated about the way the xw pro does self supply. As long as I don’t go anywhere near self supply I would think I should be fine?? Maybe shoot for 75%? What do you think?
I believe you get to specify it in amps, I'd set it at 1. You can go lower or high lower later as you see fit. Purchasing 240 watts consistently is a lot better than buying everything you use.

The real question is if the Watt Node can control dual XW-Pros?
Yup

Thank you both. I sincerely appreciate the help.?. I’m still awaiting an email or call from Schneider on if it self supply works with 2 inverters or not.
I‘ll post what I find out. There really is a lot in what you wrote I’m going to leave this till tomorrow when I am not as tired.

I called back to Schneider tech line and talked to an applications engineer there. Another nice gentleman who also looked into my issue of not being able to completely understand the documentation in the Self-supply and Export Limiting documentation.
Here is a summery of the the conversation . Anyone reading this see the first post in this thread for what I was asking about exactly….

Start of Email/****************
As Discussed over the Phone:

The Information (Note) from the XW Pro Self-supply and Export Limiting (990-91371) documentation.

1702963224524.png

This means that these feature are mostly used on single inverter system, however, on a multi unit system with respect to your type of set-up that has 2 inverters in a system. The XW Pro has Independent Operation of Features, kindly see the information below:

1702963319142.png

Page 30 of the XW Pro owners guide

End of email\*********************

It looks as if it is possible with two inverters as long as they are both set to do it.
It also looks as if you could set the parameters different on each inverter within reason, whatever that turns out to be and each would do as it was told independent of the other.

It doesn’t seem to be a strict master/slave relationship when the two units are used together. That is not what I expected but could be useful or possibly problematic.
It will be interesting either way.

The correct addition of the XW Pro owners guide with that paragraph is 990-91227F-01 January 2023

Attachments

• 1702963186958.png
    1702963186958.png
    58.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back