diy solar

diy solar

Trying to pick a solar panel

As someone above wrote, you're overthinking it. The difference between cell performance is marginal and cost should be the driving factor in your decision. If you have the roof/land then throw another few panels on the problem and you'll generate more power than otherwise.

Trying to find the "best" cells is a fool's errand.

As someone above wrote, you're overthinking it. The difference between cell performance is marginal and cost should be the driving factor in your decision. If you have the roof/land then throw another few panels on the problem and you'll generate more power than otherwise.

Trying to find the "best" cells is a fool's errand.
thanks, i have a month or so before i feel like i need to buy some, so i will linger for an opportunity to get the ones i like or find some sort of deal.

thanks a lot for the inputs everyone.

6500ex AIO unit.
I would run the numbers on the panels you are considering to see which can be best configured to your inverters specifications (primarily input voltage).

Do you have any idea how your 4kW of panels will be configured? What voltage/amps that configuration would produce? And where those numbers fit in your inverters MPPT range?

I would run the numbers on the panels you are considering to see which can be best configured to your inverters specifications (primarily input voltage).

Do you have any idea how your 4kW of panels will be configured? What voltage/amps that configuration would produce? And where those numbers fit in your inverters MPPT range?
450v max operating and 18A for the mppt range.

i think the arrangement for the Canadian solar is incapable of maxing out my mppt ;)

450v max operating and 18A for the mppt range.

i think the arrangement for the Canadian solar is incapable of maxing out my mppt
4000W solar / 320W panels = 12.5 panels (i will us 13 panels).

13 x 40.1Voc = 521.3V

That looks like it can easily max our your MPPT.

The Solarever:

4000W / 410W panels = 9.75 panels (i will use 10)

10x 37.12Voc = 371.2Voc

these panels are far better suited for your inverter.

These are the kinds of issues you should be looking at to choose between panels.

Have you done the math on how they would fit on your racks/roof?

The Solarever:

4000W / 410W panels = 9.75 panels (i will use 10)

10x 37.12Voc = 371.2Voc

these panels are far better suited for your inverter.

These are the kinds of issues you should be looking at to choose between panels.

Have you done the math on how they would fit on your racks/roof?
this is what attracted me more aswell. could hit my max and still have plenty of room in my VOC for cold.

i have literally a DECK above my stationary RV, it has a LOT of room. i could do anything, lay them flat, or brace them at an angle.

[probably around 22-23%]

Last edited:
When I bought panels I went by what was in stock. There wasn't much at the time. You guys are lucky you get to choose.

So lets say I have them connected in series, they all give similar voltage but what if ones very low in amps, this won't cause any issues?

The voltage is about all I can compare.
Watts = V x A

If higher in voltage, then less amps for the same wattage. An example is panel A is 400W, VOC is 40V. Amps would be 10A. Panel B is 400W, VOC is 30V, Amps would be around 13.3A. Less amps equals less voltage drop, less power loss on a given circuit and allows for lighter gauge wire.

As long as it won't be shaded during the day, the higher the string voltage the better up to the MPPT max VOC for cold temps.

4000W solar / 320W panels = 12.5 panels (i will us 13 panels).

13 x 40.1Voc = 521.3V

That looks like it can easily max our your MPPT.

Or you can do two strings as that inverter has two MPPTs and don't worry about it so much.

so its the same amount of cells just the backsheet is white? curious because i was worried it was more cells and Voc could increase.
great news if not.

/edit the Theoretical max power increases but not the Voc?

I don't know.

But I think the color television was possible because of the einstiens photo voltaic effect

In 1905 Einstein extended Planck's hypothesis to explain the photoelectric effect, which is the emission of electrons by a metal surface

I think TV started with light focused on lots of little solar panels connected to lots of little lights, pixels.

I want to know too, searching....

And

1663548620350.png https://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/photovoltaics/photovoltaic-panel.html

Bifacial I think there are two types, cells on both sides and the kinda transparent ones.

Would have done my project with these but was still clueless when I pressed the buy button.

I mean clueless, got this massive wire threaded down cause I thought 12 volts times all those panels I ordered didn't know you could run it up to 150 vdc with run of mill controllers.

Came out cool anyway but learning curve for sure.

Next add on this type for sure www.google.com/search?q=bifacial+solar+panels+awning&tbm=isch

1663549968311.png

I don't know.

But I think the color television was possible because of the einstiens photo voltaic effect

In 1905 Einstein extended Planck's hypothesis to explain the photoelectric effect, which is the emission of electrons by a metal surface

I think TV started with light focused on lots of little solar panels connected to lots of little lights, pixels.

I want to know too, searching....

And

View attachment 112468 https://www.alternative-energy-tutorials.com/photovoltaics/photovoltaic-panel.html
pretty sure they used ionized gases, not sure tho, thanks for the randomness

Back