diy solar

diy solar

Two 3s2p arrays in series?

JSR

I want to temporarily reconfigure my arrays to test a new inverter I have coming. Currently, I have 2 separate 3s2p arrays (all panels are identical), each going into their own MPPT.
The new inverter has a larger MPPT, so I'm thinking to wire my two 3s2p arrays in series to run into the new MPPT (new configuration would be well within Voc limits).

Anyone sees issues/concerns with doing this?

You're going to make a 6s2p then?
Essentially that's the new temp config, but not a direct 6s2p. The negative of the first 3s2p array would go into the positive of the second 3s2p array.
This is in contrast to all 6 panels in the first string being connected, then paralleled to the second 6s string like a normal 6s2p config.

Generally a panel can handle twice its own ISC so even in the event of one paralleled string becoming uneven with the other and still having to pass 2p worth of current from upstream, it should be fine. You do lose the benefit of parallel in terms of one string being shaded. But it's 'fine', just not ideal.

Generally a panel can handle twice its own ISC so even in the event of one paralleled string becoming uneven with the other and still having to pass 2p worth of current from upstream, it should be fine. You do lose the benefit of parallel in terms of one string being shaded. But it's 'fine', just not ideal.
Yes, definitely not ideal. It's just a temporary configuration to test out a new MPPT I'm getting and wiring my two 3s2p arrays in series is simplest since I have easy access to the pos/nev leads of each array.

Thanks for the confirmation folks!

Back