diy solar

diy solar

Upgraded solar system, puzzled by the remaining limitation(s)?

jesfl

What is a realistic expectation for maximum amperage draw from a 3000 watt 12-volt inverter?

Mine shuts down at 160-170 amps when I run my “inverter microwave” on anything more that about one-half power. To be clear, the system does power everything else in the RV without a hiccup.

For reference:
  • 4 LiFePO4 batteries totaling 700 Ah.
  • 4 - 120-volt 4S BMS (1 is Overkill, the other 3 three were bought on AliExpress after recommendation from someone here, and they appear to be exactly the same as the Overkill?)
  • Up graded to 4/0 welding cable for all battery-to-inverter connections, with the longest cable for the most distant battery 38 inches from the inverter.
  • Windy Nation 3000-watt 12-volt inverter.
  • Replaced old, standard U.S. consumer microwave with a Panasonic inverter microwave.
  • Replaced standard Dometic RV propane/electric refrigerator with a residential unit.
This is the third (and final) phase of my RV’s solar system that I started building in August of 2020. I admit I expected the additional LiFePO4 batteries with the 3000-watt inverter would provide something closer to 200 amps capacity? (In my simplistic way of thinking, 50 amps from each of the 4 batteries gets me 200 amps?) When RVing, I mostly boondock and rely on the solar for power. Not complaining. I’m a lot better off than in the first phase of my system.

So what am I missing. Is 160-170 amps “it?” Still a rank beginner, obviously.

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts and comments. Just trying to close the door on my system, and eliminate this remaining question.

jesfl

Thanks for responding, Madco.

The inverrter turns itself off. After several minutes it turns itself back on. I assume that is an internal switch of some sort. I can see the 4 BMS units on my phone and they do not shut down.

I have a basic AiLi shunt meter installed. I've tested the inverter microwave at different power levels. It's not the end of the world for me if I can only run the microwave at 50-60% power. That capability is why I replaced the old microwave which was one of the full-power-only-in-short-bursts typical home microwaves.

I'm just curious. Mostly I'm wondering if there is something else in my system limiting the amps? Or if it is the inverter itself?

Thanks again.

jesfl

What is your low battery cutoff voltage set to on your inverter? What voltage (as measured at the inverter AND battery) is the system getting down to? You may have your voltage set too high.

I would think two things; low voltage shutdown or thermal protection.

In my trailer with a GoWise 2000W inverter and Magic Chef 900W microwave, I pull about 110A from the batteries when cooking. My inverter beeps at 10.6V and shuts down at 10V. You should measure the voltage at the inverter input terminals during both a light load and a heavy load. Your phone app will tell you the battery voltage.

Do you hear the fan running on the inverter during a heavy load?

Not many folk are happy with the Windy Nation inverter according to Amazon reviews. The reviews suggest a higher low volt cut oft han specified, and a reluctance to power high loads.
Your issue may be , a poor quality inverter, excessive volt drops between battery pack and inverter. Once you have currents in excess of 150 amps, best practice and quality components are needed.
Check for volt drops, breakers can be an issue, between battery and inverter. If you are seeing resionable volts on the inverter terminals, higher than 12 volts, and the inverter is still turning off , then its just a poor quality unit.

Mike

You may be loosing some voltage by the time it gets to the inverter. Have actually measured the voltage at the inverter under load?

FWIW I have a Panasonic Inverter microwave, according to a Kill a Watt meter it draws 1500 w on shore power. My power setup is 2ea 100ah 100a BMS lifepo4 in parallel, 2000w Renogy inverter, 1/0 cables 28" long, an ATS. I only "cook" things for a couple of minutes at a time. Works fine

What is a realistic expectation for maximum amperage draw from a 3000 watt 12-volt inverter?

Mine shuts down at 160-170 amps when I run my “inverter microwave” on anything more that about one-half power. To be clear, the system does power everything else in the RV without a hiccup.

For reference:
  • 4 LiFePO4 batteries totaling 700 Ah.
  • 4 - 120-volt 4S BMS (1 is Overkill, the other 3 three were bought on AliExpress after recommendation from someone here, and they appear to be exactly the same as the Overkill?)
  • Up graded to 4/0 welding cable for all battery-to-inverter connections, with the longest cable for the most distant battery 38 inches from the inverter.
  • Windy Nation 3000-watt 12-volt inverter.
  • Replaced old, standard U.S. consumer microwave with a Panasonic inverter microwave.
  • Replaced standard Dometic RV propane/electric refrigerator with a residential unit.
This is the third (and final) phase of my RV’s solar system that I started building in August of 2020. I admit I expected the additional LiFePO4 batteries with the 3000-watt inverter would provide something closer to 200 amps capacity? (In my simplistic way of thinking, 50 amps from each of the 4 batteries gets me 200 amps?) When RVing, I mostly boondock and rely on the solar for power. Not complaining. I’m a lot better off than in the first phase of my system.

So what am I missing. Is 160-170 amps “it?” Still a rank beginner, obviously.

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts and comments. Just trying to close the door on my system, and eliminate this remaining question.

jesfl
Use an online voltage drop calculator with your data; DC, 13V, 160 amp, 4/0 X 38” and get a surprise. Now what is the inverter supposed to shut down at?

Thank you to everyone who has commented. I will run suggested tests later this morning after sunrise. I am now guessing the Windy Nation (VertaMax) inverter could be the culprit.

Quick facts: The inverter manual says low voltage warning beeps @ 11.0 volts, shutdown at 10 volts. The manual only says “if an over-temperature condition persists, the inverter will automatically shut down.”

First, an apology to to those participating herer. Today, I must stop my attempt to understand this inverter/power problem because of other pressing matters.

To me, this issue is just another electrical “rabbit hole” with no clear, single answer (at least that I can understand). I sincerely appreciate the new things learned from each of you who are attempting to assist.

For my records (and respecting your assistance) . . . I now think I see the problem! But, I have no idea of the cause or how to fix it. That will have to come later.

I tested voltages yesterday and today and the results were similar. Today’s slightly lower voltages were, I assume, because the collective batteries were depleted to 13.11 volts on the AiLi shunt battery meter when I tested.

VOLTAGE READINGS
AiLi Meter 13.11v
Inverter, Low Load * 13.03v
Inverter, Micro Level 6 11.52v
Inverter , Micro Level 7 11.33v
Inverter, Micro Level 8 Shutdown **
* Inverter, lights, fridge, TV depleting batteries overnight
** Inverter shutdown supposedly set for “warning beep” at 11.0v and shutdown at 10.0 v

The only assumption I have the knowledge to make from this is that the internal inverter settings actually have it shutting down at 11v (not 10v), and the microwave startup surge pushes it below that 11v threshold?

Still, why? 700+ Ah of LiFePO4 batteries, 120 amp BMS (4)? It cannot be battery capacity. So, I do not understand.

To your points/questions about my 4/0 battery-to-inverter cable lengths:

Battery Inches To Busbar Total To Inverter *
# 1 8” 17”
# 2 10” 19”
# 3 18” 27”
# 4 29” 38”

Notes:
(a) There is a 250 amp breaker between the busbar and inverter connections, I use it as a master on/off switch and as inverter protection. Why? Somewhere I read I should have it.
(b) I tested several times, while doing the above, and got readings showing a decrease in volts from the busbar through the breaker to the inverter from 0.00 volts to 0.10 volts, surely minimal?

And, yes, I checked an online Voltage Drop Calculator (Rapid Tables), as suggested, and found that for my furthest-away-from-busbar battery (38” total) the voltage drop estimate was 0.0513 volts. For the other batteries with shorter connection lengths, less. But I do not know how to “average” those voltage drops into diagnosing my problem. Or, if only the longest cable length matters?

To conclude, for a while, my current thoughts are:

-- The problem might still be (partly) the inverter?
-- But, the problem is most likely low voltage getting to the inverter from my batteries/system?
-- And, now I’m even beginning to wonder if I have something wired wrong?

Once more, I sincerely appreciate the time of all who have attempted to assist me. I will not be able to follow-up on any additional thoughts/suggestions or questions until next week, most likely. But, as time will allow, I will check on any responses. And, I will renew this conversation as soon as I can.

Thank you, again, to all.

jesfl

Check the voltage across your circuit breaker/switch and across your shunt (cheap Chinese unit) to see if they are dropping excess voltage. Also double and triple check every single connection.

I would suspect the bms's in the battery-bank, and possibly the batteries themselves. You have 4 (12v) batteries in parallel(?), and mixed bms's at that, plus unknown battery vendor type (mixed battery vendors?).

I have 200-amp bms in AmpereTime/LiTime 12v batteries, making up a 24v battery-bank, and it is able to support large microwaves, whole-house pumps, etc. A bit of a sag if multiple large loads running at once against the magnum 4024 inverter. My guess is that it's the 200-amp bms's in each battery that contribute to running such large loads, as each bms adds it's support to the load.

In other words, it's not amp-hours that contribute to running a very large load, its the specification of 200-amp bms output boards in each battery, from same vendor. I consciously chose the battery amp-hour capacity that *also* gave me the 200-amp bms board, vs their 100-amp bms board in lessor amp-hour batteries, to get more output amps from each battery.

The windy nation inverter you have is trying to support the load, but can't pull enough amps from all 4 batteries at once to support this particular large load.

I think you've just picked a large load, in the form of the panasonic inverter microwave, with regard to your current battery-bank setup of mixed batteries & bms boards. Not sure how to test this, without swapping out components of your system. I would consider getting to 200-amp bms boards, somehow (and I've seen even larger amp versions) ...

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
Well he could eliminate the BMS by bypassing them temporarily to test the microwave again.
Don't try to charge until the BMS is re-instated.

In thinking more on operations and testing, I'd consider the following:

1. full battery-bank, do microwave@high test
- is battery-bank really full
- are individual batteries full/balanced before connecting in parallel, to vendor instructions
- this test is "heaviest load against full battery-bank, over existing wiring"
- eliminates operational issue of large loads against empty battery-bank

2. move inverter to shortest path & biggest wires between bank/inverter, hang microwave directly off inverter
- does microwave work now
- bypasses existing wiring, best possible wiring between inverter/battery-bank
- plug microwave directly into inverter, or wire into it w/ very short heavy-guage extension cord
- eliminates wiring as an issue, without rewiring the whole RV

I've noticed in my home that a very large load against an empty battery-bank (of two batteries) triggers LVCO on inverter, but that seems more operational to me than an issue with inverter, battery-bank, or load ... just don't do that kind of large-load operation, if it's morning and battery-bank is depleted. I doubled the battery-bank capacity to help, which also means there are now 4 of the 200-amp output bms's in the mix, among more amp-hours of capacity.

Operationally, you might consider a generator to both replenish battery-bank and/or handle the load, at certain peak load times of your day, if gen is sized for your loads. Otherwise, it's review the design and possibly increase the characteristics of your battery-bank.

I think I'm leaning towards too large of a load, against a weird battery-bank combination when bank is not full and/or with weak or mis-matched bms boards, and possibly a wiring review (bank wiring needs optimization, with equal wire lengths between batts to busbar, etc.).

Hope this helps ...

I see a wire issue. The wire length from each battery to the common busbar should be the same. In your case battery #1 has the shortest wires and will grab more of the load than battery #4. Even out the wire lengths and the load will be better balanced.

Sure looks like a voltage drop issue to me. I'd run it at a steady heavy load (microwave level 6) and measure the voltage on each battery, at the common busbar and at the inverter terminal. It will help chase down the weak link.

I am mostly past my other time-draining matters, and I am back to focusing on my battery/inverter/microwave power issue.

This is very long. My apology. It is a brain dump about most of the points from previous exchanges. If you have the patience for my list, I will value your thoughts.

I also want to say how much all of the previous comments, related thoughts and education I’ve received are appreciated. Even 2-3 years ago, I would never have gotten my solar system built without DIY Solar Forum help. Thank you, thank you.

I’ve done some of the suggested testing. More to come.

Here are the initial results.

All of these tests today have the microwave running at an +/- 140 amp (level 6 on the inverter microwave) for the “load.”

Basic Tests Suggested – There is no line loss without a load for the 3 batteries I can reach to test. There is, however, 0.07-0.08v line loss through the 250-amp breaker I use as a switch to the inverter. That surprised me, as I expected more from your comments. Also, I was surprised that the oldest 200 Ah battery (the old-style lithium cells, round probably, but it is encased) was showing 0.02-0.03 v more power than the two newer batteries with the new-style cells. Not only is #3 two years older, but it is also the furthest from the busbar of those tested with the 3rd longest 4/0 cables).

Source ----------- No Load – Load

Battery1----------13.21v-----12.94v

Battery2----------13.22v-----12.94v

Battery3----------13.22v-----12.96v (Surprising, because longest cables of 3 tested)

Battery4--- (Not able to test)

Busbar out ------13.20v-----12.88v

Breaker out -----13.19v-----12.81v

- To a point someone made, all 4 batteries are individually wired to a master busbar and from there to the inverter. Someone told me to do it that way. Is that part of my problem?

Battery Types – Yes, they are different. The newest are Ninthcit 280 Ah battery cells received a couple of weeks ago; and the other 200 Ah Ninthcit cells (I think I recall) are 2 -1/’2 years old, or so.

The other 2 batteries are a huge mistake I made with my first LiFePO4 buy in 2019. I bought 3 crappy “BTR” 150 Ah Chinese batteries – that was before I found the DIY Solar Forum for help.

In late 2020, while on the road in Arizona, all three BTR batteries failed. I was dead with my RV power. I bought a couple of sears marine deep cycle batteries and limped along without a solar system, essentially. Then, with DIY help, I began to understand and I bought the older Ninthcit cells with Dally BMS installed.

Months later, with help from here, I finally tore apart the failed batteries and learned the problem was that the cheap BMS units had failed, not the cells.

Then 6-8 months after that, I received an offer from BTR (fulfilling their “guarantee," kinda’) for one of their new 200 Ah batteries. I accepted. It is now my battery #3. It is the one encased and I do not know what the cells OR the BMS are inside that battery. But it does work. No doubt the BMS is the cheapest available, and even worse than the cells. Please note that several times I have disconnected that crappy BTR battery and just run with the 3 batteries that I know are good. It makes no difference with the inverter shutting down.

BMS Types – Three of the four BMS units are (essentially) Overkill Solar 4s 120 amp units. When the original BTR batteries failed, I studied on this forum and got assistance here, too. I rebuilt one of the 150 Ah original-to-me BTR batteries. I purchased 3 faux-Overkill Solar BMS units directly on AliExpress. They were recommended here by several people who argued they were manufactured at exactly the same place in China as Overkill’s. I believe that those units are as near to Overkill’s as possible, just 2 years older. The newest BMS I bought directly from Overkill (feeling a little guilty) and I reserved one of the Chinese cheapies for rebuilding the encased BTR battery with a new BMS when I have a chance. I concede they may be slightly different than the new Overkill, but I’m betting not much.

Battery Cable Lengths -- In the back of my mind, I kinda’ understood the “longer-battery-wires = more resistance.” It seemed common sense, but I’d never looked it up and wasn’t absolutely sure given my limited knowledge. Thank you for the wire length suggestion. I’ve now tested three of the batteries and as you see from my numbers, there doesn’t seem to be that much loss between no load and load with the microwave running. I cannot reach the furthest away battery with the longest battery cables without a major project dismantling everything in the small solar/battery/etc. compartment in my RV.

I'm just not up for that huge project right now. I am confident you are correct about line loss with the long cables. To the best of my then knowledgte, I kinda’ considered that when I wired the batteries. The choice was either long cables, or don’t wire in the last 150 Ah battery because of the space. I chose wiring in that extra battery because I knew it had a good BMS and the cells tested OK and balanced.

As for rewiring and making the cables all the same length, it would cost about $300 for the additional 4/0 cable + lugs. The cost/benefit? My guess is the payback for the small voltage gain from one of the four batteries will take a long time. And, honestly, I don’t have an extra $300 right now to buy cable and make a test. So, I’ve taken that off the table in my mind. Plus I’d have some very long, very heavy excess cables with no place to go in my already very small solar compartment space.

The Microwave – First, I‘m now able to use it just fine with no problems when I set it at level 6 or below. If in daylight with solar charging, I’ve used it a few times at level 7. But, I have learned the unit has a pretty heavy demand for power, to be sure.

While it “ain’t easy” for me, I have figured a way I can take the microwave to the compartment where the batteries are located and with a trick for added reach, I can plug it directly into the back of the inverter. That is a test I am eager to try! I just need to recruit some help getting the heavy microwave out of it’s mounting inside the RV to the outside compartment. At my age, I just don’t have the strength to do that alone without high probability of pain and potential body damage.

Anyway, I’m surely not in a power crisis. I just cook things a little longer in the microwave at the lower levels, Easy enough. I started this discussion because I was interested in learning the “why.”

I think what I‘ve learned so far is that, as I kinda’ anticipated, it is an electrical “rabbit hole” with endless possibilities.

Yet there is one interesting new “wrinkle” I just happened to notice.

A couple of days ago when I was connected to shore power, I was microwaving at “Level 7” on my unit when my icemaker kicked on. Immediately the microwave hiccupped . . . it didn’t stop or shut down, but I was really wondering because of the sound change and internal light flicker. The Icemaker uses 8-10 amps when freezing ice. Again, this was not inverter power, this was 30-amp shore power.

It got me thinking. I am now wondering if all my issues are because of my RV’s internal 120 volt wiring? I realized that the microwave, my icemaker, my residential refrigerator, my air fryer, other power outlets plus a couple of charging cords AND the bathroom outlets are all on the same “kitchen” circuit in the power panel.

FYI, my inverter is wired directly through my 3-way switch to my RV’s power panel via about 23-24 feet of new 8/2 outdoor weather-resistant Romex-type wire that I installed. The RV’s original 120v shore power wiring uses 10/2 interior Romex.

Now since I know the microwave is sucking deep for power even when shore power is connected, I’m wondering if at least part of my rabbit hole problem is that there is so much wiring connected on the kitchen circuit? Even if appliances are not running? Many connections? And quite a bit of accumulated/collective wire distance.

So, I’ve begun wondering if it might solve part of the problem if I run cable – it would have to be something like an 8 AWG heavy duty extension cord -- from one of the 120 volt receptacles on the back of the inverter directly to a new receptacle with a dedicated new breaker for only the microwave and air fryer, and possibly the always-on residential refrigerator? I never use the microwave/air fryer at the same time. I’m also guessing it might slightly reduce the 3-4 amp drain of the residential refrigerator because of the direct connection . . . or does it work that way? It sure would eliminate a lot of connections through the RV’s old power panel and wiring.

When I get help to move the microwave near the inverter and plug it in directly, the test of that should be very, very telling. I am eager to know that result. To me, it now seems key? Or am I just kiddin’ myself?

Again, thank you for your time and knowledgeable comments and suggestions.

I honestly don’t know how to express how much I value the help.

jesfl

Check the voltage across your circuit breaker/switch and across your shunt (cheap Chinese unit) to see if they are dropping excess voltage. Also double and triple check every single connection.
Quatrohead: Thank you. The numbers are here from my latest tests per your suggestions. There was no huge/serious voltage loss at the 250-amp breaker on the 4/0 cable into the inverter. Or, on the shunt. (I forgot to write the test numbers from across the shunt, but they were the same, essentially, as the pretty low loss across the 250-amp breaker.)

I also checked tightness of all connections -- battery posts, busbar, breakers and there was nothing loose. Will I gain anything significant if I take each one apart and clean the lugs, studs, etc, with Deoxit? I have some brass washers. Better conductivity, if I understqand correctly. Do I gain anything by replacing all the steel washers that came with the busbars, breakers, inverter, etc., etc. with the brass washers?

In thinking more on operations and testing, I'd consider the following:

1. full battery-bank, do microwave@high test
- is battery-bank really full
- are individual batteries full/balanced before connecting in parallel, to vendor instructions
- this test is "heaviest load against full battery-bank, over existing wiring"
- eliminates operational issue of large loads against empty battery-bank

2. move inverter to shortest path & biggest wires between bank/inverter, hang microwave directly off inverter
- does microwave work now
- bypasses existing wiring, best possible wiring between inverter/battery-bank
- plug microwave directly into inverter, or wire into it w/ very short heavy-guage extension cord
- eliminates wiring as an issue, without rewiring the whole RV

I've noticed in my home that a very large load against an empty battery-bank (of two batteries) triggers LVCO on inverter, but that seems more operational to me than an issue with inverter, battery-bank, or load ... just don't do that kind of large-load operation, if it's morning and battery-bank is depleted. I doubled the battery-bank capacity to help, which also means there are now 4 of the 200-amp output bms's in the mix, among more amp-hours of capacity.

Operationally, you might consider a generator to both replenish battery-bank and/or handle the load, at certain peak load times of your day, if gen is sized for your loads. Otherwise, it's review the design and possibly increase the characteristics of your battery-bank.

I think I'm leaning towards too large of a load, against a weird battery-bank combination when bank is not full and/or with weak or mis-matched bms boards, and possibly a wiring review (bank wiring needs optimization, with equal wire lengths between batts to busbar, etc.).

Hope this helps ...

50ShadesofDirt: Thank you. to your helpful points.
1. The batteries and individual cells certainly read "full" on my AiLi battery monitor and on my multimeter when I test at the individual batteries. Individual cells typically are 3.30-3.35 when the bluetooth app and the AiLi meter read fully charged. Note: the AiLi meter typically reads a collective 14.40v-14.46v when all charging has been stopped by the BMS units.
For a diffferent test, I've now been running on the batteries/inverter for 39 hours with zero solar or other charging. I turned off the solar charging for this little test. My AiLi meter now reads 66.1% capacity remaining (13.04 volts overall). The individual batteries via the bluetooth app range from 13.09v/67% to 13.08v/61%.
Not surprisingly, the battery with the lowest voltage/% charge is the 280Ah battery that has the shortest cables to the inverter. At this moment, that battery is discharging at 7.1amps and the one with the longest cables to the busbar is discharging at 4.7 amps.
The highest power setting I've ever been able to run the inverter microwave on with the inverter is the "Level 7." I tried Level 8 once while also charging with solar (charge controller showed about 23v input at that time). The microwave ran about 45 seconds before the inverter turned off. (I was momentarily ecstatic with hope during the 45 seconds, until my bubble was burst.)
2. There is no possibility of moving the inverter. This is an RV. The "basement"storage area for batteries, inverter, charge controller, etc., is a 40in x 40in x 4 ft cubicle. Very tight space for batteries and equipment.
And, I did not register your other suggestions about a direct microwave connection at first. But, now I have figured out how to connect the micriowave to an AC plug in the back of the inverter. Not easy, but do-able. Per my long post, I am seeking assistance with moving the (built-in) microwave to test the direct connection. I am eager to try the direct connect test. I will let you know.
Al;so, I have a generator. I also have 800 watts of solar, with another 400 watts (4 new panels awaiting my wiring). I ordered more to compensate for the residential refrigerator during the low-solar winter months. Keeping batteries charged, or charging them, is not an issue at all for me.
Thank you, again.

Back