diy solar

diy solar

Use for excess energy without sending to grid?

Jon solar user

Hi, I’ve had solar for few years and have recently invested in a battery. I am on a feed in tariff (FIT) so sending power back to the grid is a bit of a waste to me, I get paid for what I generate, not what I send to grid.

My question is this - if I have used the majority of electric I need for the day and my battery is full, what can I use the remaining solar generation for rather than send it to the grid? I have been doing extra washing machine loads and dishwasher but am now at the point where everything is spotless.

Should I look to come off of the FIT tariff? This would be worse for me in the cooler months when I don’t export anything.

Is there something I can use at 800-1kw that could make me money?

Thanks for reading
Jon

I was thinking of starting to mine crypto again in same situation. But not sure it's worth the hassle even with free electricity.

I thought a "feed in tariff" did pay something for what you backfeed to the grid.
Our net metering did (does while grandfathered) credit at full retail, but only banked for consumption within the year. Beyond that we're paid a few pennies. That's break-even for hardware cost, but not installation labor. Makes sense to oversize at least a DIY system, to reduce what you buy other hours.

If there was a way to sell surplus to neighbors, shaving their peak bill, that would be worthwhile.

Even with our $0.25 to $0.50/kWh rates, a surplus kW during sunlight hours doesn't add up to enough for much capital investment to be worthwhile.

I thought a "feed in tariff" did pay something for what you backfeed to the grid.
Our net metering did (does while grandfathered) credit at full retail, but only banked for consumption within the year. Beyond that we're paid a few pennies. That's break-even for hardware cost, but not installation labor. Makes sense to oversize at least a DIY system, to reduce what you buy other hours.

If there was a way to sell surplus to neighbors, shaving their peak bill, that would be worthwhile.

Even with our $0.25 to $0.50/kWh rates, a surplus kW during sunlight hours doesn't add up to enough for much capital investment to be worthwhile.
Hi,
I don’t get paid for what goes to the grid. I get paid for everything I generate, no matter where it goes. They assume that I export 50% and pay a little extra on that 50%.

I was thinking of starting to mine crypto again in same situation. But not sure it's worth the hassle even with free electricity.
I do have a helium miner. The power that uses is negligible at around 5w. The money it currently makes is also negligible at around £3 a month. I just keep it going in case crypto kicks off again.

Classic problem for all of us. Personally I have of surplus 4 months/year, break even 5 to 6 months/year then don't even come close during the dead of winter. What do all of that excess? I haven't figured it out.

What about an EV? That's what I'm thinking about.

I don't understand the sand battery. Got a link?
I don't have it with me. (I'm on vacation)
But basically it's a big hole in the ground with large steel piping. Then filled with sand. You heat the sand during the summer. And use it to heat your home in the winter.

I don't have it with me. (I'm on vacation)
But basically it's a big hole in the ground with large steel piping. Then filled with sand. You heat the sand during the summer. And use it to heat your home in the winter.
Works for winter but most of my over production is in summer.
If it’s holding heat for 6 months I need to check it out.

How about a Redflow battery to store energy from one season to another. You only need one Inverter. But, you need tanks and tanks to store the charged and discharged liquid. Maybe if you have multiple tanks, you can swap empty tanks (an empty tank of charged fluid can be used to receive the discharged fluid).

I wonder how much power a 55 gallon drum can hold.

Seems like a cool theory but not sure how to heat sand over 600 deg Celsius or store that hot sand efficient enough to keep warm for months.

Seems like a cool theory but not sure how to heat sand over 600 deg Celsius or store that hot sand efficient enough to keep warm for months.
Bingo. Dozens, perhaps hundreds of studies on seasonal heat storage studies have been done dating back to the early 70's, The one thing all had in common was that they liberated taxpayers of millions of dollars. Not one has has ever proven sucessful. Trust me I've been involved in several. Laughable results each time.

Bingo. Dozens, perhaps hundreds of studies on seasonal heat storage studies have been done dating back to the early 70's, The one thing all had in common was that they liberated taxpayers of millions of dollars. Not one has has ever proven sucessful. Trust me I've been involved in several. Laughable results each time.
Exactly. I'm all for emerging technology but sometimes common sense and actual proof of concept is required before ppl start shelling out cash.

I'm sure it's possible to heat and absorb that heat later just not sure how to store something that hot efficiently over months.

Exactly. I'm all for emerging technology but sometimes common sense and actual proof of concept is required before ppl start shelling out cash.

I'm sure it's possible to heat and absorb that heat later just not sure how to store something that hot efficiently over months.
There's not one example of it anywhere. Plenty of people who don't know a kwh from a btu (or an amp from a ohm) looking for click's will try to tell you otherwise.

In all of those studies they used the wrong sand.

Back