diy solar

diy solar

Use for excess energy without sending to grid?

The question that I haven't found an answer for is how much heat is expected to be lost and what they're using to convert the electricity to heat.
Resistive heating element.
The two videos I posted give all of the details.

Heating air is 100% efficient, but conducting it to sand is probably not, unless heating is done in the same space.

If the heated air is circulated through a pipe, surrounded by sand. I'm not sure where the losses could go.
Efficiency isn't an issue for me. As the energy is otherwise completely losses.

Heating air is 100% efficient, but conducting it to sand is probably not, unless heating is done in the same space.
How do you convert electricity to heat (kwh to btu) with 100% efficiency? Conversely how efficient is converting heat back into electricity? (Btu to kwh) and what method is most efficient?

If the heated air is circulated through a pipe, surrounded by sand. I'm not sure where the losses could go.
Efficiency isn't an issue for me. As the energy is otherwise completely losses.
Losses would go on the other side of the pipes and whatever holding the sand.

Efficiency still matters because if heats dissipating 20% a month then you'll almost be empty when winter starts.

How do you convert electricity to heat (kwh to btu) with 100% efficiency? Conversely how efficient is converting heat back into electricity? (Btu to kwh) and what method is most efficient?
Resistive heating is 100% efficient. Because the exact same amount of energy (in electricity) you put in, is produced (in heat) on the output.
I'm not interested in converting it back, because I will be using it as heat.
Although the video shows it being used to make steam. Which then turns a turbine generator.

Losses would go on the other side of the pipes
It's circulating continuously.
and whatever holding the sand.
Dirt
But that heat is also recouped towards the end of the cycle. (Winter season)
All that you have to recoup (in heating savings) is the cost of the installation. After that, it's free heat for the rest of the 50 years or more.

Dirt
All that you have to recoup (in heating savings) is the cost of the installation. After that, it's free heat for the rest of the 50 years or more.
This part isn't making sense. You can't transfer or store heat without huge losses, especially over months.

Dirt can't retain heat it's porous and water drains through it. If you have a huge bonfire then sweep up the ashes the ground will be back to normal temps after an hour. Bricks and stones like concrete still aren't efficient heat barriers. This is all heat that is lost

Dirt
This part isn't making sense. You can't transfer or store heat without huge losses, especially over months.

It can't circulate continously as it'll heat your home in the summer. You need a means to control flow especially considering some winter days are much hotter than others

Dirt can't retain heat it's porous and water drains through it. If you have a huge bonfire then sweep up the ashes the ground will be back to normal temps after an hour. Bricks and stones like concrete still aren't efficient heat barriers. This is all heat that is lost before its time to use.

Couldn’t you just buy a couple of dehumidifiers and run the water through a filtration system?
Yes this is it's main idea. They have a similar product for RVs so you could potentially boondock without needing water. The reality is these are designed for optimal conditions (says 80%RH) and not real world. It's simply a VC money grab type business with exaggerated proof of concept.

They're talking about getting water from like a rain forest.... where there's an abundance of water in the air and all around.

You guys all need to go read the solar pond article. Heat can be retained in ways you don't normally expect, including interseasonally. Trying it is way more interesting than just assuming it won't work.

It can't circulate continously as it'll heat your home in the summer. You need a means to control flow especially considering some winter days are much hotter than others
99% closed loop circulation.
Until you need the heat. Then you control the release, just like any other heat source.

You guys all need to go read the solar pond article. Heat can be retained in ways you don't normally expect, including interseasonally. Trying it is way more interesting than just assuming it won't work.
Completely agree. I firmly believe there's tons of ways to do things more efficiency. Since the Invention of the internet there isn't much innovation and just people copying the same things other do.

I'm not denying I'm just asking how they're solving other problems that are conventionally used. Take a residential water heater. The hot water doesn't last days, if sand can retain this heat than we could submerge water tanks in sand and put a tankless heater in front to keep hot water forever

I disagree.
They're doing it.
I haven't watched the whole video yet just skimmed but it appears they're just talking and not giving scientific numbers or detailed info. Like how they're able to store heat without losses. Like what material they're using for insulation and how effective it is storing that 600c heat for a month. Because if I could use that technology to insulate a water tank for my RV I wouldn't need a hot water heater and could just transport hot water tank along with my cold. Or take some of this hot sand to heat my RV for a weekend trip

I haven't watched the whole video yet just skimmed but it appears they're just talking and not giving scientific numbers or detailed info. Like how they're able to store heat without losses. Like what material they're using for insulation and how effective it is storing that 600c heat for a month. Because if I could use that technology to insulate a water tank for my RV I wouldn't need a hot water heater and could just transport hot water tank along with my cold. Or take some of this hot sand to heat my RV for a weekend trip
I suppose all of those things are possible.
I'm only concerned with using excess energy from summer. To heat my house in the winter.
I think it is simpler to install a stationary system.
The earth will be my insulation.

High grade heat to drive a steam turbine is fanciful. Solar ponds and what OP is doing both only need to draw low grade.

High grade heat to drive a steam turbine is fanciful. Solar ponds and what OP is doing both only need to draw low grade.
Sounds like a lot of work to construct and maintain.

Plus: “Solar ponds need to be large—lakes rather than actual ponds—to be efficient.”

Back