diy solar

diy solar

USE Mode for EG4 6500EX?

Konvett

I have 2 EG4 6500 EX inverters (split phase) and 4 48V LifePower4 100Ah batteries. I had the fatal F11 error and had to get one of my inverters warrantied.

Now that I'm back and ready to go on solar again, I've been hearing I should use USE Mode instead of EG4 mode for setting 5.

I have a couple of questions:
1. If I decide to stick with EG4 mode, what mode should 2P2 be set to? Also EG4? I had it set this way and 2P2 was giving me error code 61 (2P1 wasn't giving any error).
2. What settings are generally recommended in this configuration for settings 11, 12, 13, 26, 27, and 29? I do have AC input from the grid in case that makes a difference.

I'm also using Solar Assistant in case that makes any difference in what I should do.

Now that I'm back and ready to go on solar again, I've been hearing I should use USE Mode instead of EG4 mode for setting 5.
If you are using EG4 batteries and have the communication cables set up, you should set this to EG4.
If you are using a different type of battery you should set this to USE.

Program Setting 5 - Battery Type
Overview

The EG4 6500 EX is designed to operate with a wide range of battery types, each with different charge profiles and characteristics. Failure to set the battery type correctly can cause damage to the battery and, in some cases, fire hazards. This program allows the selection of presets for several battery types.

Options:
  • AGM Battery (AGn) (Default)
    Sets program 26, 27, & 29 to appropriate values for an AGM (absorbed glass mat) Battery.
  • Flooded Lead Acid Battery (FLd)
    Sets program 26, 27, & 29 to appropriate values for a Flooded Lead Acid Battery.
  • User Defined (USE)
    Lets user define values in program 26, 27 & 29.
    This should be used for any battery type that does not match any of these presets. (This includes generic LiFePO4 batteries.)
  • EG4 Battery. (EG4)
    This setting should be used if the system is built with EG4 batteries with communications set up between the 6500 EX and the battery. With this setting the BMS in the EG4 battery will control programs 2, 26 & 27.
  • Lithium Ion Battery (LIB)
    Sets program 26, 27, & 29 to appropriate values for Li-ion Battery.
  • 3rd Party Lithium Battery (LIC)

1. If I decide to stick with EG4 mode, what mode should 2P2 be set to? Also EG4? I had it set this way and 2P2 was giving me error code 61 (2P1 wasn't giving any error).
I am not aware of any linkage between Battery type Output and AC Output Mode
I assume you are setting the two inverters up in split phase and have the Inverter-Inverter communications cables hooked up.
For split phase the AC Output mode is different on each of the two inverters.

Program Setting 28 – AC Output Mode
Overview
This setting is only available when the inverter is in standby mode (Switch off).

The EG4 6500 EX can be used in several modes:
  • Stand alone.
  • Parallel.
  • Split Phase. Two inverters providing Split Phase 120/240V with 6500W on each leg.
  • 3 Phase. Three inverters providing 3 phase power with 6500W on each phase.
NOTE: Parallel, Split-Phase, and 3-phase operations require inverter-to-inverter communication lines.

Options
  • Single Inverter: SIG (SInGle)
    Use this if there is only one inverter providing 120V at 6W00W.
  • Parallel Inverter: PAL (PAraLlel)
    Use this to put multiple inverters providing synchronized 120V at multiples of 6500W.
    (All of the inverters should have this setting)
  • 3 Phase
    Use this with 3 inverters to produce 3 phase power.
    • Set First inverter to 3P1 (3 Phase, unit 1)
    • Set second inverter to 3P2 (3 Phase unit 2)
    • Set third inverter to 3P3 (3 Phase Unit 3)
  • Split Phase (180o phase shift)
    Use this with 2 inverters for Split Phase 120/240 power

• Set first inverter to 2P1
    • Set 2nd inverter to 180 2P2
  • Split Phase (120o phase shift) (Very Uncommon)
    Use this with 2 inverters for Split Phase 120/240 power
    • Set first inverter to 2P1
    • Set 2nd inverter to 120 2P2
The most common settings are for a single inverter generating 120V (SIG) and split phase 120/240V with 180o phase shift

2. What settings are generally recommended in this configuration for settings 11, 12, 13, 26, 27, and 29? I do have AC input from the grid in case that makes a difference.

Program 11 setting is very dependent on battery size. I generally don't like to set it to anything more than .5C
Program Setting 11 – Maximum Utility Charging Current.

This program sets the maximum charging current that will be supplied by the grid or AC input.

Note that this only limits the grid contribution to charging. The max total charging current is the sum of grid and solar charging current and is controlled by program 2 above. If the Max Charging current in program 2 above is lower than the Max utility charging current, the lower value will be used.

Min = 2A​
Default = 30 A​
Max = 120A​
Increment = 10A​

Program 12 13 only comes into play if you have Program 1 set to SBU (Utility last). They are intended to allow you to switch back to utility before the batteries get too low. Unfortunately, it is kinda hard to match a voltage to a SOC.
Program Setting 12 - Switch to Utility power.
Overview
This program sets a value that the inverter will use to switch from battery to Utility when program 1 (Output source Priority) is set to SBU (Utility last). However the value set is dependent on the battery type set in Program 5.

Note: Program 12 and program 13 allow the user to set a ‘battery’ reserve for power outage situations while program 1 is in SBU mode

If Program 5 is set to anything other than Lithium program 12 is set as a battery Voltage
Min = 44V​
Default = 46V​
Max = 51V​
Increment = 1V​

If Program 5 is set to any of the Lithium types, program 12 is set as a % State of charge:
Min = 5%​
Default = 10%​
Max = 100%​
Increment = 1% (?)​
Program Setting 13
Overview
This program sets a value that the inverter will use to switch from Utility back to battery when program 1 (Output source Priority) is set to SBU (Utility last). However, the value set is dependent on the battery type set in Program 5.

If Program 5 is set to anything other than Lithium program 12 is set as a battery Voltage
Min = 48V
Default = 54
Max = 61V
Increment = 1V

If Program 5 is set to any type Lithium, program 12 is set as a % State of charge:
Min = 10%
Default = 30%
Max = 100%
Increment = 1% (?)

Program Setting 26 – Bulk Charge Voltage

Overview
This program is only available if the battery type in program 5 is set to User Defined (USE).
Note: After program 5 is set to USE, the inverter must be turned off and back on for this program to be accessible.

This program sets the bulk charging voltage for the battery for a User Defined Battery type

Range:
Min = 48V​
Default = 56.4​
Max = 61V​
Increment = 0.1V​

Check the battery manufacturer’s specs for the recommended bulk charge voltage for your specific battery.
For EG4 Batteries without Battery-to-inverter communications, this should be set to 57.5V

• Program Setting 27 – Float Charge Voltage
Overview
This program is only available if the battery type in program 5 is set to User Defined (USE).
Note: After program 5 is set to USE, the inverter must be turned off and back on for this program to be accessible..

This program sets the float charging voltage for the battery if for a User Defined Battery type.

Range:​
Min = 48V​
Default = 54.0V​
Max = 61V​
Increment = 0.1V​
Check the battery manufacturer’s specs for the recommended float charge voltage of your specific battery.

If using EG4 Batteries without the Battery-to-inverter communications, this should be set to 56.5V (This seems high to me)

Program Setting 29 – Low DC Cutoff Voltage
Overview
In order to prevent damaging the batteries from over-discharging the EG4 6500 will stop using the battery if the battery gets too low.
  • If there is no other power source available, the inverter will shut down.
  • If only solar power is available, the batteries will be charged but the AC output will remain off.
  • If Grid power is available the inverter will switch to passthrough mode for powering the AC output and will charge the batteries.
Options:
The type of value set is dependent on the battery type set in Program 5.

If Program 5 is set to User Defined (USR) Program 29 is set as a battery Voltage

Min = 42V​
Default = 44​
Max = 48V​
Increment = .1V​
Most people should set this to 46.0V​

If Program 5 is set to any type Lithium, program 12 is set as a % State of charge:

Min = 0%
Default = 0%
Max = 90%
Increment = 1% (?)

Some people have had issues with the communication, so they end up just switching everything to USE.

If you do use the communication to the batteries, I believe 2P1 is supposed to be set to EG4 and 2P2 is supposed to be set to USE.

A lot of times these settings are based on personal preference due to what you're trying to accomplish with the inverters and solar as a whole.

I'm also using Solar Assistant in case that makes any difference in what I should do.
The only reason it would make a difference is if you enable the "Maintain Battery State of Charge" feature, because you would then want to make sure you set options 12 low and 13 high in order to avoid the settings in SA and the inverter conflicting with each other. If the values are too close, you could have SA and your inverter fighting between each other switching between grid/battery modes.

I have 2 EG4 6500 EX inverters (split phase) and 4 48V LifePower4 100Ah batteries. I had the fatal F11 error and had to get one of my inverters warrantied.

I have a couple of questions:

2P1 set to eg4, 2P2 set to use.

Back