diy solar

diy solar

Using generator DC out to SCC PV input to charge LiFePO4 batteries( feasibility)

Sk122

Upgrading from flooded lead acid to LiFePO4 in new future, currently have an Epever 30 A mppt scc, hooked to 400 watts of panels. All works well, with being able to use shore power ( or generator) to charge batteries ( FLA's) when sun's not adequate. However this will become an issue going to LiFePO4, as my house shore power controller will not charge LiFePO4. I dont want to buy a seperate charger for LiFePO4. I have an 8 amp 12vdc output on my generator, is it possible to hook this up to the PV inputs on the charge controller to charge house batteries with this? I could purchase an inexpensive PWM SCC if this would function.

Last edited:
Upgrading from flooded lead acid to LiFePO4 in new future, currently have an Epever 30 A mppt scc, hooked to 400 watts of panels. All works well, with being able to use shore power ( or generator) to charge batteries ( FLA's) when sun's not adequate. However this will become an issue going to LiFePO4, as my house shore power controller will not charge LiFePO4. I dont want to buy a seperate charger for LiFePO4. I have an 8 amp 12vdc output on my generator, is it possible to hook this up to the PV inputs on the charge controller to charge house batteries with this? I could purchase an inexpensive PWM SCC if this would function.
Set your charger to float at 13.5V or 13.4V.

13.5V will keep the LiFePO4 at about 99% SOC.
13.4V is about 90% SOC.

Back