diy solar

diy solar

USING LEAD ACID SETTINGS ON LIFEPO4

If it was me... I would stop using the system... take the battery apart... test the cells.. see if you have any duds, look at the bms.. get a spare bms of similar spec.. rebuild the battery with the new bms.. see how it performs..obviously I can’t tell you to do that because I’m not qualified and neither are you..
Yeah true. I am quiet happy how she performs now with Lead Acid settings. I leave it

Why is your inverter set to 58.4v when you need to charge to 55.2?

Inverter settings should be 55.2, absorption timer of 30 mins or so (for now), float of 53.8 (that’s what I’ve used for 6 yrs, works well at letting the cells rest whilst the sun carries the loads)

Is there communication between the Solis and battery..?
Yes CAN
Why is your inverter set to 58.4v when you need to charge to 55.2?

Inverter settings should be 55.2, absorption timer of 30 mins or so (for now), float of 53.8 (that’s what I’ve used for 6 yrs, works well at letting the cells rest whilst the sun carries the loads)
You talking about Lifepo4 settings or Lead Acid?

Ok, I get it now. User defined won’t work without incoming can messages, and lead acid isn’t user-adjustable…

Sounds like a shit inverter ?

You need to get your absorption setpoint changed, one way or another.

Ok, I get it now. User defined won’t work without incoming can messages, and lead acid isn’t user-adjustable…

Sounds like a shit inverter ?

You need to get your absorption setpoint changed, one way or another.
Yes its Solis Hybrid. Absorption set to what voltages?

You told us somewhere up there ^^^ that the only one that was user adjustable was the ‘user defined’ charging profile.

I’m not in front of your inverter, you are. I’ve told you the voltages to use, crack on and have a go at adjusting them.

You told us somewhere up there ^^^ that the only one that was user adjustable was the ‘user defined’ charging profile.

I’m not in front of your inverter, you are. I’ve told you the voltages to use, crack on and have a go at adjusting them.
Lead acid work well in last 2 days. Yes i have changed absorption to 55.2V so will see overnight what charging Voltages will be.

Tell me Hugh, does anybody push lifepo4 to 100% soc...because 55.2 adsorption will give 3.45v per cell.. is part of the problem here that Patrick wants 100% soc...

Worth checking out the comments to this video...https://youtu.be/DQeUYJoTpzg?si=xdd8S1pKSaHVf5wD
A lot of discussion about adsorption and float etc..

Worth checking out the comments to this video...https://youtu.be/DQeUYJoTpzg?si=xdd8S1pKSaHVf5wD
A lot of discussion about adsorption and float etc..
Didn’t turn out as a link... YouTube channel Off Grid Garage...

I have just read through the whole thread again twice, trying to unravel the problem. The facts as far as I can deduce are:-

1) Despite the first sentence from the OP saying "My lifepo4 battery BMS faulty and give incorrect SOC", we do not really know if the BMS is faulty or not.
2) The BMS is reporting 100% SOC when battery voltage reaches 53.1V (and at that point the Solis will, correctly, stop charging).
3) The BMS has twice reported a 53% SOC when the battery "went flat" (whatever 'went flat' means).
4) The OP has reconfigured his Solis to use the lead-acid profile (so as to not respond to SOC info from the battery).
5) Using the lead-acid profile, the BMS will stop charging when 55V is reached.
6) The OP claims all cells are at "identical voltage" even at 'the upper voltage limits of LiFePO4' ! (really?)
7) The Battery / BMS is an unheard of brand from China and there is no data about the BMS, or how to connect to and configure it.
8) The OP believes that both the battery pack and the inverter are female. (really?)

IMHO...
a) the Solis (or indeed any modern hybrid inverter) requires a comms feedback loop to work correctly. As a minimum, the inverter needs this to know at what rate to charge the battery and to know what the battery's SOC is. Using a lead-acid profile should not be considered a long-term solution.
b) the battery needs to have a working BMS to protect the cells and to communicate the correct information to the inverter
c) ideally the user should be able to configure the BMS's parameters or, as a minimum, at least see what those parameters are.

So, as this system has been working and is now not working as expected, obviously something has changed. My first thought was that cells have gone out of balance badly. That would explain the cut off at lower overall voltage. But that does not fit the OP's claim that all the cells are at the same voltage as each other.

I discount the fact that the Solis software upgrade as changed the behaviour that is being reported. For sure an upgrade may stop things working but will not cause the BMS to report incorrect SOC data. That flow of information is from battery to Solis; the Solis will just react to the data received from the battery.

If I were in the OP's position and had the skills I have, I would replace the BMS with a known good brand and use that with the existing LiFePO4 cells.

If the OP does not have those skills, then I would discard the battery completely and make a note for the future of the well-known saying 'buy cheap, buy twice'.

Flat means that battery was discharged to 0% SOC FROM 53% SOC stated on Solis in seconds. So the working gap between 100% SOC and 53% SOC give me around only 5 kwh usable. Regarding Lifepo4 battery voltages vs SOC my battery charged only to 80% SOC and BMS shut down charging. So my real SOC is always 20% less than its should be.

Your pack is full when all your cells are in bypass, not when the shunt says it’s full…

Your battery is empty when the first cell hits low voltage cutoff.

Tell me Hugh, does anybody push lifepo4 to 100% soc...because 55.2 adsorption will give 3.45v per cell.. is part of the problem here that Patrick wants 100% soc...
People try, but unless your cells are perfect (easier to do now that we have access to such good quality prismatics), you’ll be forever fighting runners, at least in my experience.

Hardly worth going for that last 10 % and stressing about everything shooting up the upper knee, much easier to just go for 3.45 and have done

Back