diy solar

diy solar

USING LEAD ACID SETTINGS ON LIFEPO4

Patrick sv

Hi all! My lifepo4 battery BMS faulty and give incorrect SOC. So i have changed it on inverter to LEAD ACID. Its 200AH LIFEPO4 52.1V 16 Cell battery. Guys can you please help to understand Voltages and SOC? I managed to fully charge battery to 54.4V this morning. So yesterday was a bad weather and battery under house load all day. By end of the day Voltages was 52V is this correct? I used around 10kwh in 24hours window and by end of the day it was at 52V IMG_5887.jpeg

i use LA settings on my motorhome lithium and have had no issues. from what i understand you can use 'non lithium' setting and just configure it to the 'profile' you wish

there is a UK (and Ireland) specific forum here https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/forums which may give you a faster answer, though this forum is head and shoulders above in terms of technical support and advice, i find the other forum helpful at times.

i am not sure what the issue is though, if the BMS is faulty, shouldnt you replace it rather than rely on your inverter to control the battery? i thought the inverter communicated with the BMS so if its faulty, is the inverter able to connect?

Hi all! My lifepo4 battery BMS faulty and give incorrect SOC. So i have changed it on inverter to LEAD ACID. Its 200AH LIFEPO4 52.1V 16 Cell battery. Guys can you please help to understand Voltages and SOC? I managed to fully charge battery to 54.4V this morning. So yesterday was a bad weather and battery under house load all day. By end of the day Voltages was 52V is this correct? I used around 10kwh in 24hours window and by end of the day it was at 52V View attachment 184288
Hi Patrick... I’m just wondering why you changed to Lead acid charging profile when the bms is giving wrong soc...does your battery have a display showing the diff readings and may I ask could you give the make and model...

Hi all! My lifepo4 battery BMS faulty and give incorrect SOC. So i have changed it on inverter to LEAD ACID. Its 200AH LIFEPO4 52.1V 16 Cell battery. Guys can you please help to understand Voltages and SOC? I managed to fully charge battery to 54.4V this morning. So yesterday was a bad weather and battery under house load all day. By end of the day Voltages was 52V is this correct? I used around 10kwh in 24hours window and by end of the day it was at 52V View attachment 184288
Best place to learn about voltages and soc is to search the forum ..

So I had a wee search and at 52v your individual cells are at 3.25v (52 divided by 16) which may translate as 20% state of charge ... there are tables that can give soc according to v reading... but I’m sure I read on here that it’s not a reliable way of gauging soc because of the way lifepo4 charges. If you used 10kwh then the unit must’ve been pretty discharged...maybe invest in a cheap battery monitor that shows v/soc/ etc..

I’m not an expert but I prob wouldn’t use the lead acid charging profile.. if the bms is giving faulty soc reading then it’ the battery not the inverter where the problem lies... I’ve no idea what the lead acid charging profile is... but it won’t be the same as lifepo4.. I would not leave it charging unattended till you find a solution tbh..

Sorry... just seen the model number..

1703153521029.png

The picture above is a cheap battery monitor... may I ask where you got the battery from... I searched the model number and there seems to be a lot of makes selling this unit... slightly different branding styles with the same model number... anyhow.. got to go..

Hi Patrick... I’m just wondering why you changed to Lead acid charging profile when the bms is giving wrong soc...does your battery have a display showing the diff readings and may I ask could you give the make and model...
Its unbranded battery. Got it from China. The problem is that bms thinks that battery full and stop charging it around 80% SOC

Its unbranded battery. Got it from China. The problem is that bms thinks that battery full and stop charging it around 80% SOC
With Lead Acid i managed to charge her fully to 54.4 V and since i am using Lead Acid settings all good. I cant figure out what kind of BMS is inside i cant see any numbers or anything

The picture above is a cheap battery monitor... may I ask where you got the battery from... I searched the model number and there seems to be a lot of makes selling this unit... slightly different branding styles with the same model number... anyhow.. got to go..
Got from China.

i use LA settings on my motorhome lithium and have had no issues. from what i understand you can use 'non lithium' setting and just configure it to the 'profile' you wish

there is a UK (and Ireland) specific forum here https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/forums which may give you a faster answer, though this forum is head and shoulders above in terms of technical support and advice, i find the other forum helpful at times.

i am not sure what the issue is though, if the BMS is faulty, shouldnt you replace it rather than rely on your inverter to control the battery? i thought the inverter communicated with the BMS so if its faulty, is the inverter able to connect?
Yeah i cant figure out what kind of BMS is there.

Download this resource AND the Update Image as well. The Voltage Chart and the Update are handy to have at hand
General LiFePO4 (LFP) Voltage to SOC charts/tables 12/24/48V
LFP Chemistry closely mimics FLA BUT there is a GOTCHA... You can NEVER Equalize LFP, Bulk/Absorb & Float ONLY.

FYI For Future Reference when asking questions.
Provide Make/Model/Version of your Solar Controller(s), Inverter/Charger and battery packs as applicable. More complete info you provide, the better response you get... NO ONE HERE can read minds.

The Charging information on the battery pack is TOO AGGRESSIVE and pushes cells to the edge, this is not good ! In fact you are likely never reaching 100% due to High Volt Disconnects from when "any" cell within the pack reaches 3.650 Volts. SEE the Updated Image BELOW (Copy & save it)

TRY THIS If you can configure/program your equipment.
Bulk: 55.2V
Absorb: 55.2V for 45 minutes (3.45vpc) (some call this boost) *I run a Bank of 5 packs, but never actually runs the full 45mins because of EndAmps
Equalize: OFF
Float 55.0V (3.437vpc)
MIn Volts: 42.4 (2.650vpc)
Max Volts: 57.2 (3.575vpc)
Rebulk Voltage: 51.2 (3.200vpc)
End Amps: 10.0A (*1) ( Using Smartshunt to control) (Allows for full Saturation at set Float Voltage)
(*1): End Amps is calculated (100AH X 0.05 = 5A | 280AH X 0.05 = 14A)
EndAmps/Tailcurrent when reached will trigger SCC / Charger to drop to FLOAT (Constant Voltage - Variable Current)

quick-voltage-chart-lfp-jpg.150247

Download this resource AND the Update Image as well. The Voltage Chart and the Update are handy to have at hand
LFP Chemistry closely mimics FLA BUT there is a GOTCHA... You can NEVER Equalize LFP, Bulk/Absorb & Float ONLY.

The Charging information on the battery pack is TOO AGGRESSIVE and pushes cells to the edge, this is not good ! In fact you are likely never reaching 100% due to High Volt Disconnects from when "any" cell within the pack reaches 3.650 Volts. SEE the Updated Image BELOW (Copy & save it)

Absorb: 55.2V for 45 minutes (3.45vpc) (some call this boost) *I run a Bank of 5 packs, but never actually runs the full 45mins because of EndAmps
Float 55.0V (3.437vpc)
End Amps: 10.0A (*1) ( Using Smartshunt to control) (Allows for full Saturation at set Float Voltage)
EndAmps/Tailcurrent when reached will trigger SCC / Charger to drop to FLOAT (Constant Voltage - Variable Current)

Thanks! Settings you mentioned above can i use them with Lead Acid or User Defined?

Float 55.0V (3.437vpc)

Thanks! Settings you mentioned above can i use them with Lead Acid or User Defined?

User Defined setting may work...
What SCC / AIO / Inverter/Charger do you have. Each [product has it's own settings, sadly terminology & standards are "loose" as there is no international standard.

User Defined setting may work...
What SCC / AIO / Inverter/Charger do you have. Each [product has it's own settings, sadly terminology & standards are "loose" as there is no international standard.
I am using Solis Hybrid 5KW and there is my current setupIMG_5889.jpegIMG_5889.jpeg

Back