diy solar

diy solar

Using the load terminal on CC

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
I’ve seen a few posts concerning using the load terminals on Charge controllers and see where some try to use them for loads too high causing problems. Some say not to use them at all.
I use this feature only on low power outside led lighting and use the timer function to set on/off power to lights. you can also use it for dusk to dawn power or manual on/off switching too. I use the same led lights we have used on the rear of cement mixer trucks for night work where they take quite a beating in dirty wet conditions also they are quite bright and draw little power. Appx 27 watts.There are many other low power uses for the load function but I would only use them for low power only.
These lights are inexpensive and generally tough and long lasting.
Here is picture of what I’m talking about. (Similar to what I’m using)

9DC93E95-3BED-45A2-91FA-5A38B7BF0D08.png

Last edited:
Sweet, I was just looking for something like this. Good to know they are rugged.

I looked at using the Load outputs for timed lighting as well. Gave up on that idea. Turns out the "real time clock" in my EPever 3210N is terrible at keeping time. Drifts like crazy, have to reset it every few days. And if you turn the SCC off, it reverts time/day to the last time it was programed. If you take advantage of the dusk/dawn setting, it uses daylight to trigger and timer doesn't matter.

If I want to do this again in the future, I'll use an external timer directly off the battery.

I looked at using the Load outputs for timed lighting as well. Gave up on that idea. Turns out the "real time clock" in my EPever 3210N is terrible at keeping time. Drifts like crazy, have to reset it every few days. And if you turn the SCC off, it reverts time/day to the last time it was programed. If you take advantage of the dusk/dawn setting, it uses daylight to trigger and timer doesn't matter.

If I want to do this again in the future, I'll use an external timer directly off the battery.

Maybe a light sensing switch would be better? Then you don't have to adjust the timer for seasonal variations in day length.

I looked at using the Load outputs for timed lighting as well. Gave up on that idea. Turns out the "real time clock" in my EPever 3210N is terrible at keeping time. Drifts like crazy, have to reset it every few days. And if you turn the SCC off, it reverts time/day to the last time it was programed. If you take advantage of the day/night timing, it uses daylight to trigger and timer doesn't matter.

I too have noticed the time glitch on my 4215BN. It seems it only does this if there's an interruption in the battery power Frustrating. Other than that it keeps pretty accurate time and date So if i notice the time being off I figure there's been some sort of interruption sometime. Looks like this may be a common glitch on the 3210?????

Maybe a light sensing switch would be better? Then you don't have to adjust the timer for seasonal variations in day length.
Well, like I said, the dawn/dusk setting works of the light on the solar panels, so that's not an issue. Just the timed settings.
I too have noticed the time glitch on my 4215BN. It seems it only does this if there's an interruption in the battery power Frustrating. Other than that it keeps pretty accurate time and date So if i notice the time being off I figure there's been some sort of interruption sometime. Looks like this may be a common glitch on the 3210?????
Let's just say it's just not reliable enough to use.

I have a couple 120V digital timers picked up at garage sales for a quarter once the 1.5V battery dies. I modify to work on 12V battery voltage. I had a Morningstar that adjusted itself to changing days. A couple other controllers are about useless to time loads on and off.

The Victron controllers, and a few others too, can use the voltage on the solar side to determine day / night and will switch the load on that basis for automatic lighting. The Victrons, being victron ;), have taken it one step further and also off the option of PWM signalling to a smart light controller to adjust the brightness of the light as the ambient light goes down and up.

diy solar

diy solar
Back