diy solar

diy solar

What runs well on dirty inverter power?

Bluedog225

Texas
I’ve got several cheapish small inverters. I’d like to use them for small loads.

What type of thing works well on this ”dirty” power? Led lights? Television? Motors? Anything?

Thanks

Most of all: Resistive loads like space heaters or incandescent light bulbs.

Contrary to popular belief: Most modern electronics including TVs and computers, anything with a switched mode power supply is very tolerant to dirty power, that's why they're rated for 100-250v they can eat anything. Quality ones have enough capacitor capacity to smooth out garbage.

Not good: cheap LED lightbulbs.

Motors are maybe the worst.

I’ve got several cheapish small inverters. I’d like to use them for small loads.

What type of thing works well on this ”dirty” power? Led lights? Television? Motors? Anything?

Thanks
You did not state the output whether square wave, MSW, or PSW. Frankly I would toss out any cheap inverter not rated PSW. Even those rated PSW can have less than pure sine waves.

Anything with a brick should be fine. May run the brick a bit warmer. Except maybe Apple.

Something like coffee maker without electronic controls. Electric blankets most likely no unless fully an old school and those are probably not even safe.

Microwave will run fine but at lower power. Until it doesn't.

Back