diy solar

diy solar

Very first top balance

bushi12

This is my first ever top balance. Does it appear right?
I set the voltage to 3.65 but when I connected it dropped to 3.55.
If I'm correct I'll be waiting till the bottom number reaches 0?
Amps are turned up all the way.

I'm new so your input will not be ignored! I may not take it but I'll listen to it ?

This is my first ever top balance. Does it appear right?
I set the voltage to 3.65 but when I connected it dropped to 3.55.
If I'm correct I'll be waiting till the bottom number reaches 0?
Amps are turned up all the way.

I'm new so your input will not be ignored! I may not take it but I'll listen to it ?
That is perfectly normal. Now you need to be patient. It could take a very long time to top balance. (Depending on the starting state of charge, it could take several days).

Some people will tell you to turn up the voltage to max out the current. DON'T DO IT. Leave the voltage alone. Once the cells are full the current will drop to zero and the voltage will go back up.

What Filter Guy said.

Are you getting the amount of current the power supply is rated for? If not, you may want to consider replacing the leads that comes with the power supply with a 12 gauge or larger wire with ring terminals on each end.

Are you getting the amount of current the power supply is rated for? If not, you may want to consider replacing the leads that comes with the power supply with a 12 gauge or larger wire with ring terminals on each end.

Good point.

What Filter Guy said.

I did that exact thing. I read those recommendations on other threads. Thanks!!!

That is perfectly normal. Now you need to be patient. It could take a very long time to top balance. (Depending on the starting state of charge, it could take several days).

Some people will tell you to turn up the voltage to max out the current. DON'T DO IT. Leave the voltage alone. Once the cells are full the current will drop to zero and the voltage will go back up.

Okay I'll be patient. Thanks! I printed off the pdf from your link.

Is this a process I can leave unattended to go in the house and eat? Sleep? Or do I need to unplug it everytime I lose eye contact with it. It's in a climate controlled shop.

Is this a process I can leave unattended to go in the house and eat? Sleep? Or do I need to unplug it everytime I lose eye contact with it. It's in a climate controlled shop.

That is a judgement call..... As long as you don't adjust the voltage up, the process will eventually terminate without problems if the cells are good.

However.... almost by definition, the condition of the brand new cells are unknown. For the first couple of hours, you definitely want to watch them carefully. After that, if nothing looks suspicious you can walk away, but I would still check them every hour or so.

That is a judgement call..... As long as you don't adjust the voltage up, the process will eventually terminate without problems if the cells are good.

However.... almost by definition, the condition of the brand new cells are unknown. For the first couple of hours, you definitely want to watch them carefully. After that, if nothing looks suspicious you can walk away, but I would still check them every hour or so.
Okay sounds good. Thanks!

Back